Issues with Great Hobbies?!? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #21
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Mike B
Radio of choice:
JR 9503

Total Props: 0
Little coloured dots mean squat

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Last month placed online order with GH for Futaba servos, and other heli items. At time of placing order, all items i ordered was showing a green dot. With order, I had asked them to send me e-mail confirmation.
Many of the heli parts i was told was not in stock, and they had no 9252 servos in stock. Green dots meant they were in stock?
I sent them an email regarding the dots and they told me that they were updated every 2-3 hours.
I checked their site for a week straight and they always showed a green dot beside these items. But call them and none to be had.
I then phoned them and cancelled complete order.
As far as HW, I used to order from them. I find many items cheaper with HW but if you mention it to GH they will match price.
I found HW will generally ship out order free...mention MAAC deal. GH i believe now offers 5 or 10 % of the order to go towards shipping.
What i find also with HW is that they dont seem to change their webpage much....They are still showing the old outdated Christmas/Winter 2006 sales flyer on their homepage. I would think they would keep their website up to date more frequently, especially if they are taking web orders. I am left with a feeling that maybe they may not be doing so well, so i better not gamble on doing business with them.
I do find GH site much easier to navigate.
I did eventually place order with Rick's RC in Texas. Their website indicated stock on all the items I ordered. 8 days later at my front door.
Just my .02, if any of the above makes any sense.....
phattires is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:43 PM   #22
RCC Junior Contributor

the dot's are not updated i was looking at the green dot while the lady on the phone was telling me the normally stocked digital servo was back ordered to the factory so maybe they had stock on the other side of the country but not in edmonton?? i think that's the problem with the dots who knows who's got the stock

as far as web sites go gh definatly hands down has the best site of the two but i've never figured out why fuel is more expensive at GH than hobbywholesale when the two stores aren't that far apart in edmonton anyway

i have heard that GH is much better at supporting events for example we held a funfly a while back and GH sent us some t-shirts and gift certificates to raffle off to the pilots i thought that was very cool of them to do

so i guess it boils down to who's got it in stock for the right price at the time it's needed. my local hobby store doesn't stock much more than the most common plugs and props as long as its .40 and under or is for monster trucks
jkaz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:39 PM   #23
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Marc B

GH has deals on shipping? If so, they sure do not make it too public. I've never gotten a deal on shipping from them....!
BigBreeze is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:48 PM   #24
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Adam Clarke
Radio of choice:
JR 9303 2.4
# of RCs: 4

If you tell them that you are a member of MAAC then they will take 5% of the total order cost and put it towards the shipping.
Adam Clarke

MAAC# 75232
Aeroworks 75cc Extra 260
DA 85
JR 9303 2.4
atc666 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:53 PM   #25
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim M

Total Props: 1
They have done the shipping thing for a while now ... and yes they don't advertise it very well.

I complained that HW ships free, then they mentioned their discount approach ..... but only then.
Jim Moss
MAAC 16236
IMAC 3716
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:03 PM   #26
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
I guess what it comes down to these days unfortunately, is the only thing a LHS can actually offer is customer service.
Realistically, almost any product I can buy at my LHS, GH, HW or otherwise, I can order from south of the border for less. But, I still like to try to support LHS's whenever I can because when you're in a bind, hopefully they're the ones that have what you need, however, it doesn't matter if it's a hobby store, auto parts store, whatever it is, if the customer service is poor, I won't go there.
Good customer service can go a long ways when there is a mistake with an order or a problem with a product. Sadly, some of the shops out there get bigger and have to hire more staff, the new staff don't necessarily get trained well in knowledge of the product or how to deal with customers.
When you are smaller, customer service is what you need to provide all the time. Compared to the strictly mail order places, HW and GH are still small shops.

Well, just my opinion anyway.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:12 PM   #27
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Kevin P
Radio of choice:
JR 12xMV
# of RCs: 12

I have had good luck with Great Hobbies using the internet for orders . and yes..I have ordered things on backorder , and then got a call the next day or so from Great Hobbies confirming I did want to wait for the things I ordered .I really believe they are on the right track .

No one is perfect .....

One things for sure your local /Canadian hobby shops first and foremost when buying your stuff if you can .

Kevin Perry
MAAC 29876

... Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs..
KevinPerry is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:09 AM   #28
ground pilot
RCC Apprentice
I am: Craig. W

Originally Posted by BigBreeze
GH has deals on shipping? If so, they sure do not make it too public. I've never gotten a deal on shipping from them....!
Are you a MAAC member? Do you receive their magazine? If you do look on page 54 at the top where they have a bright yellow column deicated to telling you about the MAAC shipping credit. Which if I am not mistaken is in every MAAC mag since the promotion began. See sometimes it's the Magician and not the wand
ground pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:30 AM   #29
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 7
[quote="Randy Brown"]If you think your US hobby shop so great. why dont you ask them how much did they put out in 2006/2007 to sponser RCTV which most of us CANADIANS injoy watching all winter

Don't take this personal please.

RC TV What a joke! If most of us are watching it we need help!
One ad after another and basic info. Terrible in my opinion, but you are entitled to yours.

Back to GH. I try to buy from them but when they have TT91 four strokes "special order" for $312 and I can get them for under $200 US something is terribly wrong. Not sure these are produced any more but it is an example of pricing.

They seem to buy at the high exchange rate and keep their prices that way even though we are close to par. My LHS adjusts prices with the change in the exchange rate and eats the difference. They certainly could afford to do that.

BTW we host a major event and got little or no response about some support, but the Alberta event seems to be a major to them. Doesn't help anyone in another province. Maybe their walkin is huge compared to mail-order and they know their business that well so know who to support. I doubt it!
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:01 PM   #30
RCC Apprentice

My only complaint is the delivery time from the east; could take almost 2 weeks., from edmonton maybe 3 days. I asked the post office about this, they had no reasonable answer.
scratchonly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.