A Kudo's to hobby shops thread! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2007, 10:46 PM   #1
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
A Kudo's to hobby shops thread!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
With the recent threads about a few hobby stores that people have been having problems with, I thought I'd start a thread about stores that I am happy with!

1. Hobby Extreme in Red Deer, these guys are new at the hobby store game, but they listen to their customers, their prices are very competitive and they have a very good selection of product. Tim and Chris have grown from a small store to a good sized one very quickly and I applaud their efforts! www.hobbyextreme.ca

2. PM Hobbycraft in Calgary. Jim has been around forever and has a wonderful store and great service. I've never had a problem with this store and as long as you speak with staff in their correct area they are knowledgable (ie: don't ask the craft people about RC airplanes or vice versa, they're in their own section because that is what they know)

3. PST North America, Kamloops BC. Dean is definitely the guy to talk with when you want to get into RC jets, incredibly knowledgable and although he doesn't have mortar and brick store stocked with parts he can get you almost anything you need and for a good price! www.pstna.com

4. Dreamworks RC in florida. Todd is another one stop jet shop, he has a great selection of jets, engines and parts in stock, his prices are great and he has a wealth of knowledge. www.dreamworksrc.com

5. One Stop Hobbies in Abbotsford. Admittedly their prices are higher than most other places I shop at, but it's the lower mainland and everything is more expensive here it seems. I've never gone in to try and ask advice or even with questions on how to do something, but for the basic things I need like glue, xacto blades, covering etc, they have a good selection. www.onestophobbies.com

6. Central hobbies in billings, montana. Your one stop shop for pattern airplanes and accessories. I've spent far to much with these guys but they almost always have what I need in stock and for the best price I can find. When I was competing in pattern their number was well engrained in my memory. They are also very knowledgable in the product they sell.

One stop is the only shop I haven't had to have anything shipped from, but the other 5 I mentioned are where I do the majority of my buying from and they all ship promptly via the method of my choice, it's quick, the orders have always been correct, and packed well!
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:13 AM   #2
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
being new to this..( after 30 years)..my humble opinions from the lower mainland, BC:....

I canceled my first order with Great Hobbies (a green dot conflict), but nevertheless ordered from them 2 weeks later..with very fast shipping.

Ordered a kit from Sig..only had to pay GST/PST on USPS delivery.

Phil's here in Richmond, variable prices - one day 1/8" brass tubing is $2.50, next day -$3.95,.. a 4 oz bottle of dope was $7.99 +tax.

The 3 floors hobby shop in New West is OK..but getting low on balsa/kit stuff..but very friendly folk.

Norburn is prolly the best (I've seen) around here , but fortunately, my Visa has a limit!

My favorite hobby shop is my neighbors garage..I trade dill pickles & banana bread for balsa wood!!

My $0.02 anyway
Teledog is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:54 AM   #3
RCC Contributor
I am: ber

Total Props: 1
i give kudo's to http://www.advance-rc.com/ in Toronto, Ont.
barok is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:47 AM   #4
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Christine and Garry at Mad Bull Hobbies, 1956 Brunel Road in Huntsville are getting started and look to be on a good footing -- Garry's said that he doesn't want to get rich owning a hobby shop, which is why he's charging Toronto prices.

Current stock is a bit limited for RC airplanes but they will get it in if you need it.

This is just south of the Brunel Road/Port Sydney intersection. Keep your eyes open for the driveway on your left with the small sandwich board.

BTW, ask Christine where the name comes from. Her family history of kite fighting is your big clue.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
Short Circuit
RCC Contributor
I am: Mark B

Not that I've ordered a whole bunch of parts since I started this hobby in the spring, but I have been very happy with RC Wings and Wheels Hobby Supplies in Nova Scotia.

They have a toll free number for Canada and are very helpful when questions arise.
Fast with the orders too.
I placed and order for a plane, radio and engine the other day and 2 hours later I received an email stating the parcels were shipped and gave me the tracking numbers.

Short Circuit is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:10 PM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Kudos to my LHS. Tops in service and knowledge with great stock on parts, I also note they're a full service shop that invariably go out of their way helping newbies. Great prices too!!!

MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:09 PM   #7
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26
Zebra Hobby
Hobby Wholesale
RC Sports and Hobby
Hobby Hobby

All rate well with me.

Anyone else miss Teepee Hobby? My in laws live in that neighborhood now.
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor

My beloved sponser!!!
Imac # 4751
Speedway and Hobby
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #9
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Daren M.
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 9
I've dealt only with Hobby Hobby. They are only 10 minutes from my house. Always got straight answers, and since they've put prices on their web site, they seem to be pretty close to others that do mail order. Daren
Daren71 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:44 PM   #10
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
Originally Posted by moo
Anyone else miss Teepee Hobby? My in laws live in that neighborhood now.

I use to bike down to Roncesvaile and King Street, from Cawthra & Dundass, at least once a week in the summer waaaaaay back when I was in high school.

Small shop but PACKED full of exactly what you needed! Course back then it was mostly C/L but a good selection of R/C as well... and enigines! If it was built Ceice stocked it! Fox, McCoy, Enya and a little up and comming company callsed O.S. Engines!

Course on a Saturday you might have to wait in line outside the shop over an hour just to get in. Any ussually when you asked for something Ceece would dissapear through a trap door in his floor and you would hear scufling and rustling comming from the basement then he would magicaly apear with wht you wanted!

Thanks for bringing back those memories MOO!
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.