BEST VALUE'S IN HELI GYROS...Please Help - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
David McMillan
I am: David M

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!

I'm tired of crashing my Cp pro every time a gust blows, so I'm looking to install a tail gyro.

I've upgraded my radio gear on the CP to include my JR Programmable reciever. This has helped with tailoring the behavior alot and I'm happy with it's personality and response. However, this does little for drift and Anit-Torque during maneuvering

I know there are options E-Flite, Futaba, etc. gyros available for this helicopter and others.

I'd like to choose one whch is compatible with my JR gear and capable of upgrading to the t-Rex or Raptor as I progress.

Any thoughts on the matter?
Cost is concern, but I'm willing to pay for a good cost - benefit trade off, but I don't want to throw alot of money into incremental improvements...

David McMillan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
I know a lot of people use Futaba GY401 Gyro.
This is the one i plan to buy for my 50 size heli.

You cna find it here and many other sites -
Nemesis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gordon
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9 BE, DX3R & DX3S
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 3
Holding Gyro

I have the E-flyte G90 holding gyro installed on my CP Pro and it works well. The Futaba GY401 (27g) would be too heavy compared to the E-Flyte G90 (9g) for your CP Pro.

I have the GY401 installed on my Raptor 30. I would recommend the E-Flyte G90 for your CP Pro (about $100.00). Get the GY401 (about $150.00, with Futaba S9254 digital servo about $250.00) when you upgrade to bigger TREX or Raptor.

You could hang on to the CP Pro when you upgrade. I use the Raptor outdoors and the CP Pro indoors.

The final decision is yours...

Enter the World of Ballroom Dance...
All for One, One for All...

RC: Nitro and Electric Helicopters, Planes, Cars, and Trucks; Non-RC: Ballroom Dance and Fencing!

MAAC 77725
Jiver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Shawn S

Total Props: 19
Based on what you have and by the sounds of it where you want to be,,, I think the Futaba 401 is your best value for certain.
Once upon a time there were Nitros, Flybars & Frequency pins
My Main OL Photo Gallery:
OICU812 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Alex D

+1 vote for the 401... It can go from a CP to T-Rex all the way to a gasser/turbine and every machine in between
MAAC Member #75939

TRex 600N Pro FBL, TRex 600E CF, T-500E GF, T-Rex 450L 6S Dominator, TRex 550 DFC, DJI Phantom, DJI 550 H33d, DJI S1000 Z15
Heli3dflyr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:04 PM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Chad M

Here is another vote for the 401 ... it is a solid performer that has been around for awhile and will serve you will on many models.
MAAC #75849
Trex 450 Pro stock, Outrage XP30 3S, Fasst Rx
Vibe 50 RL53, MP5 SB, Edge 603mm, 3 x s9252, s9452, DS650, Spartan DS760, ATG V3, Fasst Rx
murp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:16 AM   #7
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7
The 401 is an awesome gyro and I have used it on everything from a 3D Pro to my Raptor 50. That said, you probably will likely want to keep all your helis in flying condition, so maybe the one-heli concern about portability isn't going to really be that important; so, maybe a lighter gyro would be a better option (i.e. G90 with the stock gyro - apparently works very well).

Just some links that may be helpful to you.

Here's an interesting post on the BCP with separates using a Fiego brushless DD tail. There's some caomparison between the G90, Logictech 2100 and GY401 and the 401 is reported to be best. Note the issues they're working through.

Post on adding a GY240 to a BCP with 4-in-1.

Thread on RCG about John Adams' BCP with G90 (and spektrum, etc.). Interesting in that he uses both the stock gyro plus the G90.

Another thread on adding a GY240 to a stock BCP. Good info and diagrams.
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:37 PM   #8
RCC Apprentice

I think that the CPPro is not a good helicopter to test a gyro on, because it lacks tail response anyway, and so it is easy to attribute the sloppiness on the gyro. I tried the 401 on the BCPP and it cannot be at its best there because of the tail motor. It did not impress me. I tried the G90 on my T-Rex and it did not impress me either. But when you mount the 401 on the T-Rex you realise it is truly an outstanding gyro. Rock solid all the way.

I agree that you should go the extra $$$ to get the Futaba GY-401.
If you want to shoot a mime, do you need a silencer?
userzero is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.