General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
Short Circuit
RCC Contributor
I am: Mark B

Total Props: 0
1st Crash

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I bought a Nexstar for my son for his birthday so he(and I) could learn to fly together. Got it at a price I could not resist.
The first flight was last Wednesday and there was a few issues that instructor wanted me to fix before the plane went up again.
So issues fixed, out we go yesterday morning.
He gets me up in the air and I am flying large circles and figure 8's when I go to make a sweeping right turn and the plane goes into a spiral. He takes control and almost gets it out but a wingtip hits the beans( there is beanfields all around us) and it goes into the ground.
As my boy and I are walking to get the wounded bird, I feel terrible because it it his plane I just crashed and I tell him so and all he said to me after patting me on the back is, Dad sometimes S happens !!!
Made me feel a little better.
The first thing I notice when we get to the crash site is that the aileron servo arm is detatched from the servo and there is no screw to be found. the servo is ok and the threads are not even damaged.
Made me wonder if the screw was in there tight and if it backed out somehow and when the arm fell off it caused the spiral to happen.
We get the plane back to the van and 4 of us survey the damage.
Ripped out landing gear,the metal bar in the wing was ripped out of one half of the wing, breaking up at the joint end, the other wing half survived, broke the rudder at the bottom and part of the tail mount on the fuselage.
Everyone tells me that it is not that bad and can be fixed easily.
So armed with all the suggestions off home I go to fix.
I was kind of overwhelmed when I started to tear things apart but the more into it I got the more fun I was having doing the repairs.
I was actually enjoying repairing my smashed up plane. Not that I want to make that a habit!!!!
I am to the point where I need to get some sheet balsa and covering to finish up the repairs and then I will be ready to fly again.
I also think that all screws will now be getting blue LocTite,whether this was the root of the cause or not.
I was better off than the guy there who was flying his warbird, went into a dive and couldn't pull the plane out.
Straight into the ground. Left a 6" divit in the ground and the plane was a writeoff.

Short Circuit is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:58 AM   #2
RCC Apprentice

The Nexstar is a pretty solid plane. I have been lucky in that I have not had any serious crashes yet despite numerous dead sticks and a few hard landings. The only casualties have been a couple of broken props.

One thing that I will warn you about. For some reason for all the info and advice I got before I bought this plane nobody mentioned this "little" problem. When you remove the speed brakes from the underside of the wing be prepared for the thing to want to nose in. We had to readjust the elevator throws and trim set up a lot more than anybody thought we would have. I got lucky and had a very experienced pilot take it off for me the first time after removing the speed brakes because there is no doubt in my mind that if I had done it the plane would have been turned into kindling.
spitfirefan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: George S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2
Its good to here you enjoy the other half of the hobby (fixing). While your at it you should start building your next plane. Sounds like you got the bug. Just don't be surprised when your son is flying circles around you.

Cheers. George
I keep having the same mechanical problem. I've got a loose nut on the transmitter!

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:27 AM   #4
RCC Contributor
I am: Ed P.

1st crash

I've read somewhere that some of the newer servos have gears made out of material that don't like the smell of Loctite. That is, there tends to be a chemical reaction which causes damage to the gears. I think this was in reference to some newer expensive JR servos that have metal output shafts & machine screws holding the arm on.

Other that this, use loctite on any metal to metal connection.

P.S. Your repaired plane will fly better than ever, you won't be quite as afraid if you make a mistake!
no such thing as too fast!
rcjetguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: wayne b

Total Props: 5
You don't really need locktite on servos with nylon splines. (the nylon is the same stuff they use in locknuts). However, it is a good practice to ensure that ALL the servo screws are snug in ALL the servos.

One thing I do with my bigger planes is to do a walk around before the first flight of the day - just like the full size guys do. Everything that moves gets tugged or twisted to make sure that it is tight -hinges, linkages, servos, wheel collars, landing gear - even motor mounts.... I have fouind out (the hard way..) that it is much easier to fix a fault before a flight than afterwards.....
There aren't enough days in the weekend. -- Steven Wright
Wayne22 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:12 AM   #6
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Curtis H
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 53
Hey Mark.... That is to bad but if you are going to fly you will have to get good at repairing also. I have never had a servo arm fall off but I had some come loose. But I think that was because I had forgot to tourque them down after setting up the radio gear. So now I check and recheck them for the first few flights religiously and have never had a problem since. I'm sure you'll have it back in the air in no time and your son will soon be teaching you . And like one of the previous posts state make sure you adjust your elev trim when you take the speedbrakes off because it won't have as much lift and will nose down at neutral stick.I'm gathering that you havn't flown your Twist yet or what

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link
chuebner is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #7
Short Circuit
RCC Contributor
I am: Mark B

I did the same thing, let an experienced pilot take it up for the first flight to make sure everything was ok and there was a few things wrong with it and he wouldn't let me take it up until I had those things fixed.
When he flew the plane last week we discovered the nose over and had to put more elevator in it.
I have another plane ready just a matter of time for that one.
The plane was flying real nice before the incident. In repairing the damage, there was a few more spots in the plane that needed attention also while I had it apart.
I think checking screws more carefully will be more a part of my pre flight inspection now.
I did have that screw out and I am wondering if I didn't tighten it fully when I put it back in.
Funny,the guys at the field said he will learn faster than me and will take more chances with the plane. You know, being young,10 feet tall and bulletproof......
And no,I haven't flown my Twist yet.....

Short Circuit is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.