First Time on Floats! or How to dry out the engine - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Float Planes Discuss float planes here...or any other aircraft that floats.

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
First Time on Floats! or How to dry out the engine

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I started flying last august with one of those all comes in one box Nexstars. Loved it, what a blast, of course with our family owning a cottage on an island off Parry Sound it wasn't long until I was plotting how to try flying in our bay. A fellow at our club sold me an Eagle 2 for a very reasonable amount of $50 and someone else said if I really wanted to try Float flying he had a set of floats that would fit it. Great! I was ready to go, so I read up a little, checked to make sure the step was under the center of lift, went back again and checked with all the guys because the floats being about 27" looked to small for the plane. All the guys said ya sure they are the right ones, and only having had my wings a month who was I to ask. So I mounted them, added some diagonals to either side and i was ready to go. Well last years weather ran out before I got up there and the project didn't get unearthed until the week before labour day.

Fast forward - 20' open boat, 8 adults, 2 dogs, food, beer, wing, fuselage and flight box, did I mention 2 dogs! (the beer wasn't for them). Arrive at the cottage after a 30 minute boat ride and quickly justify why we can leave the choirs for later. Assemble the plane, disconnect the battery from the fish finder, set up everything on the dock and we are ready to roll. After assembly I set the plane in the water at the end of the dock and it sank! The starboard pontoon settled under the water up to the wingtip! Crap i'm pretty sure thatís not how itís supposed to work. Where are all the guys that give you the advice when itís not going as they told you it would? I thought well we have brought it all this way weíre not going to give up yet. So we fired her up and see if the thrust would pull the floats onto a plane, it didn't, about 5 feet and nose in. Drew straws to see who was going in after her, opened another beer, pulled the plug wow - was there a lot of water in the engine. Without the electric starter Iíd still be there flipping. By the way I learned not to let the dog, or anyone else stand over the glow plug hole when you first run that starter (she needed a bath anyway). Ok so dry out #1 in the books, letís try something different. Letís have someone stand in 6" of water on the beach and hold the plane in a nose up attitude and see if i can get it to climb up on a plane. Nope! See above and add 5 more feet. Open another beer, dog hiding by this time, we pull the plug dry it out and scratch our heads. Like I said, we have brought it all this way we gotta make it fly.

Next try hand launch, dad holding the plane over his head stumbling as I give him the launch signal, an agonizing few seconds of trying to make her climb followed by stall and more water!, this time it rolled right over, crap again. Brother swims out to grab it, repeat the routine. Dad wearing shoes for the launch this time, just about ready to throw and hey guys hold it a sec, the throttles not responding right, check more inputs and neither was anything else. Open her up, get out the hair dryer, dry out what seems to be a very very minute amount of water in the receiver, (I swear the foam was hardly wet), get it dry and receiving signals again and prepare for launch 2. Wind up the rpms by leaning it a bit and off we go, and it finally does!

Now of course getting it up is supposed to be the easy part, based on its penchant to imitate a submarine I knew I couldn't let her stop out in the bay. I had only one option, to skid it up the beach. This meant flying it straight at me bleeding off speed and dropping it over the raft into the space between the two docks, which was about 20'. Left or right and it would loose the argument with the docks, over shoot the beech and itís in the trees. First try ok! Nose over on the beach, well with plastic floats that could be a lot worse. We got better at the launches, bussed a few greater northern shithawks (seagulls) got lucky a few times in a row with the landings did some touch and goes and finally deadsticked it into the precambrian shield. Pretty much ripped the floats off her but what a blast! I'm in the market for a set of floats to fit an eagle, and told my wife to put the Unionville Hobby Beaver on the Christmas List!

WABishop is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:15 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1

I recall similar trips with Funfly plane from my youth.... thanks for that.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
RCC Apprentice

Nice story.....Next time make sure you protect your RX, condoms
are the best protection!!! (Really).

pat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
RCC Noob
I am: Barry C

i'm still laughing !... sounds like my adventure with my gws beaver. My son thought it best to stay out in the boat to save time on the recovery!..
Maybe its the parry sound area ?.I'm on a small lake between rosseau and joe .
bearcraft is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
RCC Noob

Go to the local marine store and get some Corrosion-X or other corrosion preventive. Take the receiver case off, spray the electronics and let them drip dry. This stuff protects your radios really well. I also do the servos battery and switch.
Ed Moorman, AMA 553, KD4QBM
Fun Aerobatics Column
R/C Report magazine
Ed_Moorman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Geoff B
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9

Total Props: 2
It's been a long time since someone replied to this thread, but i thought it should be brought back to the top. Man what a laugh. Excellent story.

Proud owner of a Hitec A9!!

Maac #79113
Flyboy76 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:46 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor

Great story!!!!

I'm still laughing!!!!!
I am only lookin to have gracefull encounters with terra firma!

MAAC #57335.

Proud to endorse
flyguy74 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.