Buy or sell-->Trust is one sided - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2007, 02:29 PM   #1

Total Props: 1
Buy or sell-->Trust is one sided

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Been buying an item or two on RCC and I got to thinking about the rating system here and trust on both sides.

I'm a buyer at this point (have sold a plane in the past but that's neither here nor there) and encountered two situations:

buying a $10 item and I've commited to the sale. I send the cheque, the seller mails me the item without having received the cheque. Risk is 50-50 for both buyer (cheque not sent / item bought not sent).

That's great and really, it's how this whole buy/sell should work (items worth thousands or just a couple of bucks).

Next situation:

I'm buying a $100 item now. I've sent the cheque but buyer won't send the item till he's got my cheque (and presumably won't send the goods either till the cheque clears).

Now the risk is 100% on me the buyer for having to send a cheque goods unseen. Seller assumes no risk. Doesn't seem right. Now, if I'm the seller, I might (would?) probably act in the same manner.

That doesn't seem right either but I'm at a loss to reconcile this. My rating is a +8 with no neg's. so the seller should accept past dealings and assume half the risk.

What's the point then of having a rating system in place if the buyer ignores past history???
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Terms should be negotiated between both parties.

You should agree to risk exposure before closing the deal.

The rating system helps me decide what level of exposure I accept, if I see many good ratings (especially from people I know) I'm more comfortable accepting the greater potion of the risk.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Buyer feed back is only to help some one decide if there trusting enough to send money.

That is were Paypal and other e-mail transfers are useful, People get there money and stuff is on route right away, and if it is not then a grievance can be made and the buyer can get his money back.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Personally, dealing in hobby related items only (and of those, 90% or more were engines) I have probably sold about 1500 items in the past 10 years and bought maybe 150 to 200.

I used to ship things as soon as the deal was made, even if the other party was in EUrope, the USA, or even many times to AUstralia and Asia as well.

In all those deals/trading I have gotten burnt but two times. Once I sold an engine for $25 US to a guy and never got paid, and the other was something I sold to someone in Canada that I never saw any $$ from.

I use to trust pretty much anyone - especially in this hobby - but it seems to me that things have changed somewhat now VS 5 or 10 years ago. There are a lot more people on the internet and I am afraid its hard to do the "handshake" deals anymore. Generally when dealing with larger sums of $$ (like a few hundred or more) I wait to get the money before I ship and I would not consider it a problem for another seller not wanting to ship me anything untill they got paid as well.

But I still like to believe most of us in life are fair and square... but you know, enough deals have gone bad even on RCC to remind you that there is always someone who thinks they are above being honest, and thats too bad.

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:32 PM   #5
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
RCC is a good place to do business.

The last 10 things I've sold, I've shipped as soon as the auction closed. More often than not, the user will receive the item before the cheque comes. I've never been swindled on RCC.

BTW, I've got a 14 pound bar of solid gold for sale. You send the money, I'll send the gold... I promise!

If you're not part of the solution... you may be insoluble!
jpmodels is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15
So how much a pound do you want for it. Would you be willing to take a trade on a parcel of land for it
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:24 PM   #7

edited out.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:59 PM   #8
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 7
I have had a BNIB Saito engine sent to me while I had just sent the money. I was very surprised by that a couple of years ago.

I do not send anything without payment first. I have 2 negatives on Ebay amongst my positives as a result of not sending the goods, but I didn't receive payment. He says I did and we both have reasonable ratings so there was an error somewhere.
Did a deal for a friend here and he sent a money order. The seller didn't receive it. Obviously our Post Office has something to do with it.

If I see photos and I'm dealing with good ratings then to me sending the money is not one-sided. I have some pretty good assurance that the deal is legitimate. and feel comfortable buying that way. I also only feel comfortable selling that way.

I have seen the change referenced. People are willing to "change their mind"s after agreeing to a deal. Or they can't come up with the cash so expect you to wait, then change their minds because of a better deal. The deal isn't made until something of value actually changes hands so I won't be sending any goods without up front payment.

Paypal is terrific for this. I have been paid or paid within minutes and had items shipped the same day either way. Great commerce!
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:21 PM   #9

But again, it's 100% risk on the side of the buyer (paypal notwithstanding) and none on the seller.

That was my point. The seller seems to be unwilling to take any of the risk. And it's not just " ah, it's only 10 bucks." 10 or 1000, someone has to take 100% of the risk if both aren't willing to split it.

The seller takes the risk of sending it without receiving payment/buyer takes the risk of paying for it without receiving it.

I guess my reason for posting this is I'm tired of being the one to take 100% of the risk (my 10$ purchase being the exception) and just wanted to vent.

Dunno how to resolve that issue (meeting in person is obviously not always possible).
Old 09-19-2007, 09:10 PM   #10
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 0
I have only purchased and have not sold anything but before I do purchase I check the ratings. I also like to see a location. If no location I pass. I feel that the seller should make it a positive nature by posting information on himself especially his location.
My negative is a long story and I had dealt with the individual before with problems. I took that as a learning experiance and should have listened.
I assume the risk and have dealt with members that have been usually on here for quite a wile. Although I have not met most of them I can call them friends for the info we have swapped on here. I deal with money orders and under $50 usually cash and expect the same honesty as I would give.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.