hanger 9 twist 40/ lean running engine - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
ARF / ARC Aircraft Discuss anything and everything ARF or ARC related.

Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2007, 12:23 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Travis H

Total Props: 13
hanger 9 twist 40/ lean running engine

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I recently purchased a Twist 40 and installed a slightly used Evolution 46nt. I was having problems with the Evo. running lean, but I continued to fly it and make adjustments as I went. I finally pulled out the Evo. and installed a GMS 47 that I had been using in my LT 40. This engine also ran lean in the Twist. It was a perfect running engine in the trainer plane so that ruled out the engine being the problem. Also the Evo. ran perfect when installed in the LT 40. I checked fuel tank height and found it was 3/4" below the carburator spray bar - which is too low, so I elongated the access hole in the firewall and raised the tank as much as possible. End result was 3/8" below the spray bar. I also shortened the carb. supply fuel line to eliminate any high spots. I then installed a stock Evo. muffler with baffle on the GMS for some extra tank pressure and then went for a fly. The engine ran perfectly with no lean condition at all, but with the restrictive muffler on it I had lost over 1000 r.p.m. NOT HAPPY! I reinstalled the stock GMS muffler and picked up the r.p.m. but also had to richen the carb by 1.5 turns. End result is a smooth runing engine on a nice airplane. This is the first ime I have run across this, as this is my first ARF and all of my kit planes have worked perfectly.
Just thought I would share this in case anyone else was having similar problems.
Pie tastes better with Cool Whip.

Last edited by thuebner; 11-11-2009 at 03:35 PM.
thuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
RCC Apprentice
I am: Phobix
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0
Interesting...I was experiencing leaning out yesterday when at full throttle on a ST G-51 (RPM was changing to peak after being on full throttle for a couple of seconds) which ran perfectly fine in my H9 P-51. I do have a pretty long supply line which could be shortened somewhat..But I am dreading having to re-position the tank but I think I will try to shorten the supply line first to see if that remedies the problem.
phobix is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:34 PM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Travis H

Total Props: 13
Twist 40

Since I made the post I have flown the Twist several times with the GMS and stock muffler. Nose high position is still giving me some grief. In level position and carb set a few clicks rich of peak r.p.m. , which is how I set all my engines, the engine will surge (lean) in a vertical climb or hover. I have had to set the carb on the rich side in horisontal position with a noticable drop in r.p.m. but the payoff is the engine picks up r.p.m. and runs consistant and strong in a nose high attitude. So far I have been living with this set up since I mostly fly the Twist in nose high Positions. I will experiment more once I have more time. Winter is coming and flying time is limited so I don't want to waste my time tuning in the engine.
This is not a fault of the engine as I know it runs beutifully in other planes. My guess the tank is still too low at 3/8" below spray bar. I will likely have to install a baffle in my muffler to increase tank pressure or live with it the way it is.
Phobix, make a post when you try a different combination. Would be nice to figure this thing out.

Good luck

Pie tastes better with Cool Whip.
thuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
Short Circuit
RCC Contributor
I am: Mark B

Total Props: 0
I wonder if this is the cause of my problem also. It seems every time the Twist goes up 6 or 7 minutes into the flight the engine will quit. It doesn't matter what is being done with the plane either. Slow flight or fast etc.
I know the exhaust gasket leaking would have something to do with it also but I don't think it was leaking on all the flights of the plane.
Of course now the weather is not cooperating to take it up with the new gasket in place to see if that remedied the problem.

Short Circuit is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.