Building Kits - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2007, 07:32 PM   #11
RCC Master Contributor
I am: George S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
wildwill. I reread your post and still can't figure out if you want to build for others or want something build for yourself. Seems like everyone has you pegged as a beginer. Maybe you can fill us in. I'm from NB (Jackfish lake) originally and reside in Saskatoon now. If you are looking for something to fly you can always try posting in the "Airplanes wanted" forum. Also Hobbyworld in Saskatoon has many ready built planes in there store you can buy. I go up to Jackfish once in a while and fly with my brother. One of these days I'll have to check out the flying club in NB.

Cheers George
I keep having the same mechanical problem. I've got a loose nut on the transmitter!

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:02 PM   #12
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Hello George, I do have a few planes of my own already. I talked to a guy at Hobby World and he said there was quite a few guys in S'toon that were asking him at the store if he knew of anybody that would be willing to build kits for them. The club here is really good - not alot of members - no long waits to fly! I think the most I have seen is 3 planes up together at any one time. I have been in the hobby for a few years now and have built 4 kits for myself and about 6 for a couple other guys in the club. I was wondering if others out there are building kits for other people and if so what they were charging them. Sounds like the cost of the kit to build it and the cost of the kit again to finish it is about right. Definitely not a money maker but I do enjoy building. I have built a few kits for one guy in our club here and he also has a few ARF's - The quality of the ARF's is nowhere near the quality of a kit built. Every ARF this guy has had out here loses the landing gear after a few landings ( not hard landings either). I am supposed to be putting together ( assembling) a Gee Bee ARF for this guy - so I guess I will find out what they are like to put together now. So far I have built a Kadet MKII, Kadet Senior, Kavalier, Somethin Extra, 4 star 40, Extra 300, Smith Miniplane, and just finished a Sig Skybolt. A few of the guys in the local club here told me to build at least a few so that you know what they are about and how to fix them when the inevitable crashes occur. I think I will keep on building as opposed to ARF's - Way more solid planes and you can change things and pick your own colour schemes.
wildwill is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:17 PM   #13
RCC Noob

Hello Bob, I guess I was kind of vague with the original post. I don't own any ARF's and have built around 10 kits or so thus far. I am building them for a couple guys in our local club and some for myself as well. What I was wondering was if others are doing the same and if so what they were charging??

I heard the cost of the kit to build ( ready to cover and assemble) and then the cost of the kit again to finish from that point (covered, radio installed, etc. ) Ready to Fly. So if the kit cost is $150.00, then it would cost him $300.00 to have it Ready to Fly.

Yes it is getting pretty cool at night here these days, still a few nice days but not many of them left.

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 10-15-2007, 06:48 PM   #14
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
I misunderstood you - but I get what you are asking now.

I have built a lot of kits, but these days I am tight for time. There is one guy in my club I sometimes get to build things for me and we work out his cost per hour more or less. It doesnt really reflect upon the kit price, more on the time taken to build and cover and whether or not there are special things (like retracts, or other time consuming hardware for instance) to be done on top of a regular kit.

For something like a typical 40 or 60 size sport plane (taking maybe 20 to 30 hours build time) I would think asking $200 to $300 for labour only would be very reasonable, thats only $10/hr.

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:52 AM   #15
RCC Noob

Thank You very much that is exactly what I was wondering.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:04 AM   #16
RCC Apprentice

Price to build?

double the price to build might work if the arf is not available...but I was checking on my Eagle II....a new kit is $85...the arf is only $ even building it myself wouldn't be worth the time you add glue, covering etc it would cost MORE to build it than to buy it built!

prices don't include shippng ...but
Steve H.
MAAC # 77221
trader is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:00 AM   #17
homme de fer
RCC Contributor
I am: Marc A

I built the Eagle II from a kit and can say that the total cost for the completed plane was around $220 - $250. There really isn't any advantage to building kits (when you can get the same plane as an ARF) other than because you're a builder.

However, once you are able to build, you can get into building planes no one else has. And that is where it becomes rewarding.

homme de fer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:28 AM   #18
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
I agree with AJ, you're not going to get rich unless you can gang-build a stack of the same kit and get the $11/hr from each person.

I've known a few kit-builders and they pretty well are in it for the love of building and don't mind not getting rich doing this.

If you are going to try kit-building, make sure that you have a working contract on paper, that lays out how much, when due, covering incidentals and parts. May sound counter-productive and not trusting your fellow modeller but all it takes is one person whose understanding of what was to be delivered and for how much differs dramatically from yours to leave a major sour taste in your mouth. Yes, been there done that, but got the karma back when his wife found out how much he'd actually been spending on the hobby (he: "great deal at the hobby shop, honey!"; she: "full-price and you lied to me!")
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:04 AM   #19
RCC Noob

Well I figure the major difference between a kit that is built and the same ARF is that the kit that is built is a way more solid plane than the ARF is. The simple fact is that the people building ARF's on a line somewhere don't really care if the plane flies or not or how well it is built!! So far every ARF that I have seen out here has weak landing gear and no shortage of other problems. Plus with the kit you can pick any color scheme or finish that you want - not so with ARF's unless you want to recover them. Definitely not going to get rich but I really enjoy building and would still rather build than buy an Almost Ready to Fall-Apart (LOL)!
I am also gaining alot of experience building for others as well as myself and still prefer kits to ARF's. I have built about 10 kits so far with a few more in the works and aam going to be ASSEMBLING a GeeBee ARF very soon here and this will be the first ARF i have put together so I guess I will find out for sure how they go together and how solid they really are. Attached is a Smith Mini that I built for someone else this summer - It has made it's maiden voyage and is still in one piece. Thankfully!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rc13_199.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	27846  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.