Brillelli Engines - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2007, 08:01 PM   #11
RCC Apprentice
I am: Henry Pel
Radio of choice:
Air SD-10G, Fut 9C (2.4Hitec),Hitec Eclipse (2.4)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 0
DL 50

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Have you checked the Great Hobbies site in the last few days
Check on the new items in last 7 days. They are showing the DL50 for, I believe, $399.99.
HenryPel is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:05 PM   #12
Authorized Vendor
★ Vendor ★
I am: Jeff K

Total Props: 8
I don't think the "problems" have anything to do with relations with China. It is really about dealers in North America deciding to carry the DL50.

If you read through the DL50 thread on RCUniverse, you will find that there were 3 specific problems with the DL50 when it was first introduced.

1) There was an intital Carb problem. Basically a bad batch of carbs from Walbro were sent out that had a plugged fuel circuit. Once the problem was identified the manufacturer replaced all of these carbs.

2) The original muffler: The original muffler was a very light weight/weak muffler. Did it work? Yes, was it the best? No. It probably wouldn't survive a crash, but it was also light weight, which was nice. The muffler has since been improved. It still is light weight and it works very well. For about 75% of the users it will be fine. For those that want something that is beefier, the DL50 will except virtually any muffler that works with a DA50. If you don't want the stock muffler, I can sell you a DL50 without it.

3) Mounts: Many people had a problem with the original engine mounts that came with the engine. These were made from Extruded Aluminum and were much different than any other mount on the market. I think the biggest problem with these mounts, was the perception of their weakness. Some people did have have mounting breaks due to improper mounting (the mounts needed to be squarely mounted), and some mounts failed in crashes. Honestly, I never had a problem with the original mounts. One of my customers crashed his plane and the original mounts didn't break. Regardless, it is now a non-issue, as each new DL50 (Generation 2) sold comes with stand-offs. Also, the manufacturer has reinforced the mounting tabs on the engine to make them stronger.

Really, these problems were all minor, but because of a lack of a dealer network and some communication (language) challenges, these problems probably dragged out a little longer than necessary. All of these problems are now non-issues, because they have been identified and corrected. There is also several dealers available and the manufacturer has much better english language communication abilities. I think you will be hard pressed to find a DL50 owner that feels like they have been "left out in the cold".

If you read through the thread on RCU, you will see that most of the people that had problems related to support and service come from those that bought the engine very early from vendors who "drop shipped" the engine. These vendors were overseas and didn't really have experience with the engine and didn't actually handle each engine directly.

Once DLUSA started up as a US vendor, people had a place to get support and service. They didn't have to deal with "drop shipping" vendors, and they had someone they could easily communicate with.

Thunderbolt R/C is trying to do the same thing, only in Canada. We are only an email or phone call away. We have all the parts in stock, and we have experience with the engine. We will do whatever we can to help you keep your DL50 running (which won't need to be very much, considering how great it runs!).

Brilleli is great company and their engines are very good. Good luck with your choice.

Jeff Kuzniak
Check out the Thunder Hangar Blog!!
grizak is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:37 AM   #13
RCC Contributor
I am: Jay C
Radio of choice:
DX18,DX7, JR XP6102
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 0
DL 50

Thanks Jeff for the very informative reply, as i said i spent hours wading through that thread and gave up at 100 or so pages, having read a lot of negatives, should have done the other 100 or so i guess, but the thread seemed to be getting off topic a bit ,and i'd frankly had enough.
Good to hear you have the problems in hand and i will certainly put the DL on the list of motors for the Sun Dancer.
Now if The PM will only drop the taxes Hmmmm.
Perpetualrepair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:08 PM   #14
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum Dx-18G2, Jeti DS-16 Carbon Red

Total Props: 2
Taurus 52

If you are looking for 50cc I believe the Taurus 52 to be the best offering on the market, probably the most expensive too at $679 USD with pitts muffler but worth it because you get:

Extremely smooth power due mainly to two things, the radial mount that spreads engine loads nicely across the firewall, no shaking or movement as on standoffs and the double web counter balance crankshaft with 3 bearings, no cantilever crank on this baby!

The piston and cylinder are from Mahl and are bulletproof, the bottom end is all Taurus and is beatifully machined as well.

The intake is piston porting, no reeds to pool, stick or gum up. Simple but effective.

A perfect midrange, no burble , smooth power throughout the throttle settings.

Comes with CH ignition, no chinese made junk, it is repairable not disposable.

Parts and service are good, turnaround might be slightly slower than DA but, it's close.

Take a look Not a great website as it's not up to date but, then DA's isn't either

luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.