RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2007, 01:21 PM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Eduardo Galiano

Total Props: 0
Engine Cleaning

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Everyone: I know that this horse has probably been beaten to death many times in the past, so I'll just do it one more time: what would be the best way to clean carbon residue on a glow engine (O.S. FX 1.60) and a Bisson muffler that goes with it, WITHOUT THE USE OF A CROCK POT WHICH I DON'T HAVE? Both engine & muffler are pretty externally gummed up, although this apparently has not had a noticeable effect on performance. It's mostly a cosmetic issue in this case. Thanks for the input.

eduardo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:04 PM   #2

Total Props: 1
Other than the easy method you don't want/can't use, use paint stripper and an old toothbrush. Rinse with HOT HOT HOT water. Oil 'er up with ATF (as some water invariably did get inside) and yer done.

Wash the toothbrush out thoroughly after use otherwise the stripper will melt it over time.

Don't brush yer teeth with it either.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 20
Since you wanted to know the "best" way, I suggest you first go to one of the used stuff places and buy a crock pot, then get some antifreeze and let an overnight cook on low do all the work for you. Don't forget to remove the meltables from your engine.
John Kovats

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1
the active ingrediant in most chemical strippers (and the industrial stuff I get and use in my shop) is methylene chloride (or di chloro methane). It can be used as a cleaner/degreaser BUT it will dissolve any plastics quite quickly. I wouldnt personally use it to clean a model engine. If you do use it, wear gloves and glasses. A decent stripper with a good concentration of the stuff will burn you quickly. I only know what I use, maybe the stuiff you buy at the hardware store isnt as strong (and I doubt it).

I simply use a good industrial cleaner, diluted with water, and a brass or stainless steel brush to clean off the exteriors of my engines. For heavily deposited carbon I may use a stiffer wire brush (but you will scratch the casting's surface).

I did a cleaning/overhaul article for Fly RC that is on their website if you are interested in reading it.

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:24 PM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: ByronF

For mufflers cause I am not too fussy with some discoloration borrow your wifes easy off oven spray cleaner. It will remove the brown gunk.
For the engine casing I don't like to use that stuff so I use Zep citrus cleaner (you know the stuff from the infomercials) that is avaialble at Home Depot and either a tooth brush or soft bristle metal brush.
Then rinse with water, blow dry with compressor or heat gun on coolest setting then lube well with sewing machine oil.
ByronF is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #6
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6
Cleaniing engines

Gee, I would kind of watch the oven cleaner; it is quite caustic and may not agree with some of the alloys we use for engines.

Carb cleaner, however, is made just for the purpose of cleaning alloy parts. It is available at auto supply stores, and has worked for me in the past.
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:48 PM   #7
RCC Contributor

i use a 50/50 mix of water and pinesol.
Sitting and trying to finish my lear while my leg heals!
Hirobo Sceadu 50 Evolution - converted to Electric.
Kavan Alouette 2 - collecting dust.
Heli-Max MX400 EP (March 14 2008 )
Great Planes LEAR JET Kit (Build started Feb 7 ).
Herr Cessna 180,1/2A ( completed June 5 ).
Nemesis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:29 PM   #8
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: ByronF

Re: Cleaning engines

[quote="TLyttle"]Gee, I would kind of watch the oven cleaner; it is quite caustic and may not agree with some of the alloys we use for engines.

As I said I only use the oven cleaner on mufflers (not engine parts) as they are usually the grungiest of all and its no big deal if they get discolored slightly although that has never happened to me yet.
I don't use or recommend it for engine casings or any internal parts. For the engine parts the citrus cleaners do a pretty good job.
Although when you thinka about it the muffler and engine casing are likely the same material so that should not be a problem.
The piston sleeves could be an issue depending on their composition. Likewise the carb o ring and carb body and seals depending on their material type although the oven spray does not seem to bother the rubber gloves I use when handling this stuff.
ByronF is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:58 AM   #9
Donkey Doctor
RCC Junior Contributor

Hello; I just did an old HB 21 that was locked solid with castor residue. What I did was take off the carb (whick is plastic) and immerse it in heated antjfreeze in a pot pourri pot (a miniature crock pot) and left it to stew for two days. Then I took it out and washed it all off under a hot water stream with a tooth brush. I turned the prop until it freed up. Then I oiled it up, in the carb opening, in the glow plug hole, and in the exhauyst port, about 10 drops in each. Then I turned it over enough to distribute the air tool oil throughout. I should have taken "before and after" pictures, because it went from a blackened lump to a shining, just like new engine.

If all you want to do is knock a bit of burnt on residue off the exterior, I often use a citrus based hand cleaner and a tooth brush. If you can heat the engine up first, the hand cleaner will be more effective. Don't forget to oil it up after your finished, you will have exposed some delicate metal to the corrosive atmosphere.
Donkey Doctor is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:35 PM   #10
RCC Noob

Simply immerse the entire engine and muffler in undiluted antifreeze (the cheap green stuff) and let it sit out of harms way for 3 or 4 days somewhere in your basement. Then take an old toothbrush and with almost no effort the crud will come right off and engine and muffler will look as good as new. You do not need a crockpot or heat. I have used this method and it works very well. The only drawback is it takes longer than the crockpot and heat method. Hope this helps, let us know your results.
hackken is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.