Engine Cleaning - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2007, 06:00 AM   #11
Ed Smith

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
What I did was take off the carb (whick is plastic) and immerse it in heated antjfreeze in a pot pourri pot (a miniature crock pot) and left it to stew for two days.
Leaving the engine assembled can harm the engine. The engine should be disassembled. As much as the exterior dirt is being removed so is the interior dirt. Without disassembling the engine the lumps of dirt are left floating around inside the engine, possibly in the bearings, between the piston and liner and in four strokes in the cam train and rockers. I always disassemble the engine.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:45 AM   #12
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
I assume most engines are taken apart because of an unplanned contact with earth. Sometimes itís just for cleaning and sometimes a complete rebuild is called for. In either case keeping the outside crud from getting inside is desirable as it can cause additional damage when parts are slid apart as the engine is disassembled.

If the engine has been in a crash DO NOT roll the engine over more than needed for disassembly or cleaning. There may be debris inside and you can do considerable damage.

First I remove the motor from the frame but leave everything attached including the muffler. I use what ever I can to clean out the carb and exhaust of visible bits and pieces especially if there has been a crash and dirt and debris are visible. Plug all openings with bits of cloth rag and then I wash the whole thing in warm water and dish detergent rinsing with clean water.

I have purchased a soft brass wire wheel (be sure it is soft brass not coated steel that you find at CDN Tire) soft brass wheels usually can be identified by their wooden hubs. I gently wire wheel as much crud as I can off the engine. Take your time its well worth it then wash again as mentioned previously.

Now I carefully disassemble the engine completely. Knowing most of the loose stuff will not accidentally contaminate the inside of the engine.

Now is the time to clean each part to get the rest of the crud off. I use the brass wire wheel when I can and assorted hand brushes to do the job.

The final cleaning is done with the same fuel that will run in the engine. I usually put aside the last 1/2 inch to 1 inch of each gallon of fuel and use it for cleaning purpose because this last inch is most likely to be the most contaminated you will run through your motor. Next time you get down to that last inch, hold it up to the light and swirl it around.

I place the cleaned parts in a Tupperware type container with a lid until I am ready to assemble the engine. A piece of masking tape on the lid and all pertinent info on the engine can be kept.

You must decide if you will be replacing the bearings or not. My opinion is in most cases you have the engine down this far it only makes sense to spend a few more dollars and replace the bearings.

I assemble my engines with Klotz Techniplate pure synthetic oil as it is the same oil as used in Wildcat Fuel which is the fuel I use. I do not believe in putting anything in these small motors that does not normally run thru them.

I have tried the antifreeze method both in a crock pot and just left in a container till it loosens the crud. Both times the finish seemed to be etched or dulled on the outside and I found the engine tarnished much easier than before. Wire wheeling with the brass wheel and cleaning with hand brushes take longer and more elbow grease but I like the result better. This is only my personal preference I imagine there is any number of ways to do the same thing and they probably work just as well. With all the suggestions you should be able to find a system that works for you.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #13
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7
The antifreeze is a caustic which is corosive and the reason you wouldn't want to leave it in to long and the reason it is turning dark as it is gradually eating away the serface. I do the same as you, Dennis. I save the last 1/2 in. of fuel and put it into a nylon Tupperware tub about the size of a brick. I duct taped to the side, an old vibrating electric pencil. Poor mans sonic cleaner. I clean it up with a soft brass wire brush afterwards.
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.