Travelling or Shipping Planes - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Travelling or Shipping Planes

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have read a lot of posts about guys wondering how to ship or travel with a model plane, especially a large one.

Well since I am just getting my boxes ready for my trip to Argentina this coming Friday I took a couple of pics so that you can see how its done.

I have used this method for years and never had an issue with planes being damaged (knock on wood!). Its dead nuts simple, cheap and light. If you have an air stapler and a decent table or skill saw, and a hotwire (or bandsaw) then you are set.

Materials are 1/8" plywood (this can be tough to find). 1"x1" nailer board, and foam.

The more you can dismantle your airplane the better. This box is made for my pattern planes which come completely apart. The box is 72" long, 11" wide, 18" high at the back and 14" high at the front. The smaller the better, most airlines and shipping companies have a maximum combined linear dimensions they will carry. This box easily fits within say Air Canada's allowance.

The stab, gear and rudder just get wrapped in bubble wrap and stuffed where convenient. Just make sure nothing can go flying around.

I find that as long as the plane is well supported more foam etc just gives more chance for damage from crushing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3896_164.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	27709   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3895_546.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	27710   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3894_595.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	27711  
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:46 PM   #2

two more

Last two, I use a spare kit to actually make the foam cuts. This is the plane that will actually travel in this box.

Anyways thats it, I am sure from the pics its plain to see how its done. Just make sure that the foam goes right to the lid, so that once the lid is screwed on nothing can shift around.

Oh forgot to mention that I do add small cuts of foam to fill the dead space above the fuse so that if the box is flipped it the fuse cant move. I also tape all the foam in place so none of the loose pieces in the dead space can fall out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3898_183.jpg
Views:	5055
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	27712   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3897_185.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	27713  
Old 10-28-2007, 07:03 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Peter D
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18 MZ
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 8

Thanks for the tip.

MAAC Jet Committee Member
Deputy South West Zone Director
Member of JPO
Deputy Director - Pickled Pilot Squadron
RC_MAN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:26 PM   #4
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Very neat looking box Chad. Too bad I hadn't seen your box design before building the crates I needed for shipping a large plane!

What was the total cost on building your design, if you don't mind sharing that info.?

can773 wrote: " Just make sure nothing can go flying around."
Yeah, the last thing you need is a plane that "goes flying around in a plane thats flying around!"
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Maqsood

Total Props: 0
Chad, that is neat thanks for sharing with us.

Is there any support in the centre length wise, what if it is laid on the side and something heavy put on top of it, wouldn't that impact the plane as the 1/8 plywood sides are not that tough???

And this gets checked in for a $35 oversized charge????
MAAC # 59977
IMAC # 4177

My Website
My Photo gallery
rcpilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:33 PM   #6

Cost: You need two sheets of wood to make a box this size....maybe I could have squeezed it out of one, but I already had some on hand that was split in half (8'x2') so I couldn't really get the most out of what I had. I bought this wood two years ago, and I think it was $35/sheet. The nailer strips are a few bucks each, I think you need around five or six 8 footers. I pretty much had all the stuff on hand. A sheet of foam like that at HD was $17 and does two of these boxes might be able to get three out of a sheet if you are careful.

So you are probably looking at $100 give or take to do a couple of boxes. There are always some consumables like staples/glue etc. on top of that.

Hi Maqsood,

No support other than the foam and the nailer strips on the perimeter. You cant crush the foam unless you drive on it! Once the lid is screwed on you get a ton of crush support as well. When assembled and on its side I can stand on the open part and it wont fail (I weigh in a whopping 215 ). If I stepped really hard or jumped on it it would probably collapse, but its gotta be light to get on the plane without being overweight so you can only make it so strong before its starts getting very heavy. So far everything has been fine, in France these boxes came out on the regular luggage conveyor system! Also lighter is easier to handle and if its easier to handle its less likely to get tossed around or moved by a forklift

All up the box weighs around 15-20 lbs and the plane is around 8 lbs.

Air Canada just again changed their fees, if you booked before sometime in August its $35 for oversize, but now it would be over $100 again...but it usually depends on how lucky you are at the counter, sometimes they just ignore it sometimes not. The smaller the box is the more likely you will get away with it.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.