Fabric covering material question - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: P P

Total Props: 1
Fabric covering material question

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm planning on recovering a 1/3 scale Cub I bought used. I've only ever used iron on plastic film but I don't think it will do this plane justice. I was planning on useing Coverite iron on fabric. However I just came across "Sig heat shrinkable Koverall" which it says needs to either be doped on or ironed on using " SIG Stix-It heat-activate covering adhesive" Does anybody have experience with this Sig covering? Does anyone have any other covering suggestions? This aircraft requires quite a bit of covering. I would like to do it economically but I also want to do a good job. Thanks for any input.
bugsmasher is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Michel G

Total Props: 8

Sig Koveral ................ There are many threads that I can give you .

As for cost ......... if you can get youre self some Randolf nitrate dope , at a full scale aircraft field , you will pay about $ 40.00 for a gallon ( which is excellent ) . You will need about $60.00 in Koveral ( 2 pkg )

Dope finishing is a very long and passionat finishing . It is also one of the most durable . You can put almost any kind of paint on nitrate . And if done properly is one of the most beautiflest finishes that you can get .

And by the way , I ve seen a sig 1/3 scale cub finished with this material , and it was done by a pro . It was absolutly gorgous , and painted yellow .

M.A.A.C. 75640
Hitec Aurora 9
LT-40 LT-60 Alpha-40 Tiger-60 (90 )
ARF P-51 40 TF-P51 Giant KIT
TopFite P-51 Giant ARF X 3
Hanger 9 SpitFire 60 ARF X2
TopFlite Elder-40 ( on the board )
Aero Works 540 T -60
The Ground came up and hit my plane
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
I am presently doing the finishing on a 1/4 scale Balsa USA J3 Cub.

I am using Super Coverite and dope to finish my model. Super Coverite/Super Shrink is identical material to the Sig Coverall but it has the adhesive already on it. It irons on flawlessly and in a fraction of the time it takes to dope and apply Coverall. When finished, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two products.

It does produce the most durable finished material available. A friend of mine has a number of planes done in this manner and they are over 25 years old and look just like they were just finsihed.

Another nice feature of the Super Shrink is that once you apply it, you shrink it with your heat gun rather than having to rely on several coats of Nitrate dope to do the shrinking for you. This means less coats of dope and a lighter yet as strong and as beautiful a finish! MHO!

When I finish the 1/4 scale, I will be purchasing a 1/3 scale Balsa USA Cub kit to build, detail and finish. I'll use Super Coverall or Super Shrink on that model as well.

If you want to see some of the details I've done on my Cub, check out the Scale Aircraft forem and click on "Completing my Dream"
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:41 PM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Bruce W

Total Props: 0
I just gave my buddy a hand two days ago on his 1/4 scale cub and he used the heat shrinkalbe Sig Koverall. It was the first experience either of us had with this type of covering process. He used a nitrate dope that is used on full scale aircraft.
First he thinned the nitrate dope with thinner and with a small brush painted on two coats of dope on the entire surface of the aircraft. Next he put the fabric on using thinned dope and and a sealing iron to keep the fabric in place. We got it on fairly tight but still had a quite a few ripples ect. Let the whole thing dry overnight then hit it with light heat from a heat gun, took way less heat than mono or ultra coat. This stuff shrinks up excellent!! Next we brushed on two coats of dope over the entire surface. Next he put on "powder" to fill the fabric weave. Lots of different theories out there as to what powder to use, baby powder, baking powder, blah blah we used corn starch. After simply putting this light powder over it came another coat of dope. I'm surprised for his first attempt at this system, it has turned out remarkably well and neither of us have a clue on what were doing!! I've been in the hobby for 20 years and am pretty fussy about my film covering and I figure this looked pretty darn good! I'll be doing my P47 this winter in similar fashion. If there are some experienced "dopers" out there I too would sure be interested in your techniques. (certainly not trying to hijack here)
MAAC# 44741
PS MAN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7
Used to use aluminum powder for a filler when I used to cover full size stuff. Don't know whether you could still get it at a local airport.
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:19 AM   #6
RCC Contributor
I am: Bruce B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12Z & 18MZ

Total Props: 4
You can use Lepages White glue to attach the Coverall. Much easier to use than nitrate dope and not as smelly. You apply the glue around the edge of the surface you are covering, wait for it to dry ( about 15 minutes), and then put the covering on using an iron, similar to using mono cote. The heat activates the dried glue.
Youngguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor

Thanks for all the information guys. I was tempted to try the dope and material process but I came across solarfilm iron on "fabric covering" for 12.99 a roll so I think I'll stick with what I know after all.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:35 PM   #8
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Ray M

Total Props: 0
Some very good advice here Bugsmasher......I think you were right when you said film just wont do this plane justice. I have used both Sig Coverall and Super Coverite fabrics extensively. Either one is clearly the best choice for that very nice scale finish.....especially if you want to do rib stitching etc......and its no more difficult to use than whjat you have been using. I also agree that dope is the best possible finish for fabric but there are other choices that work well too. I used latex on my 1/3 Super Cub with outstanding results. its a lot cheaper and much less toxic than dope.

good luck, Ray.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	super_cub_316.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	27895  
Ray McDougall, Victoria
See my models at:
Raymac is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:43 AM   #9
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15
Maybe you should check the economics also Last time I bought a Super Coverite it was around $75. for a 4'x15' roll which by the way can be bought in colours. Now this roll of covering you have bought cost $12.99 and will probably take 4 rolls or more to cover both wings.
Mind you it is your plane so go for it
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:00 AM   #10
RCC Junior Contributor

I read it's .68m x 2m and I'm thinking about 7 rolls. By comparison I was looking at similar sized rolls of coverite iron on fabric for 19.99 a roll. I've always thought this hobby nickel and dimes you to death.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.