Best glow plug? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #11
Ken E
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
best glow plug

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I did have numerous unfortunate incidents with power panels, thats why I don't like them. I liked the Radio South drivers but they always need recharging. The D cell system is the cheapest, always works and never needs recharging. There are a few guys at the field using the D cell system now and liking it. I quess we all have to go through a series of trial and error with the different systems till we find one that works for us and that we like. I realize everyones different and we like different things. ken
Ken E is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:56 PM   #12
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
I too am on the quest for the perfect glow plug. I do like the portable glow drivers for the same reasons quoted above by Dennis but they always seem to crap out at the most inconvienient times, like on the flight line at an IMAC contest! So I always keep my power pannel on a short leash for those times!

Now as for glow plugs, I mostly use the OS "F" plug for my 4 strokers and their whatever plugs for my 2 stroke engines. I have had good success with them. But once in awhile a new plug comes along and I'll give it a try. Saito engines use to come with a McCoy plug which I removed and threw in my flite box, used the F plug instead, could never get the engine running as nicely as with the OS plug.

AT Toledo last year I had quite a discussion with the folks from Merlyn who sell plugs and fuel. Of course they must say their plugs are the best but what I really liked was their promise of a money back gaurantee! They have a good selection of heat ranges so if one plug is too cold, you can go to a higher heat plug and visa versa! I told him what my application was and he suggested a couple of what he considered the proper plug plus one either side of this heat range for me to try. I purchased three plugs and he GAVE me two, one for each side of the range. Said to keep my receipt and if I didn't consider them better or at least as good as what I'm currently using, then send them back and he would completely refund my money. Oh, and by the way, they are about $ 5. cheeper than the OS plugs.

I gave one a try and found it pretty good, although I must say, I wasn't able to do much flying last summer due to poor health.

Thus far in this discussion, no one else has mentioned Merlyn Plugs. Has anyone else here given them a try and if so what was your experience with them? I know some will say OS has been around for a long time so why mess with a good product and you get what you pay for etc etc ..but I say, if they are as good as claimed then why not give them a try at least! MHO!

So, what say you??
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.