Lipo ballooned up, what should I do? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 11-21-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
Donkey Doctor
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Lipo ballooned up, what should I do?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello; The Lipo (1800mah, 7.2V) that came with my parkflyers Gee Bee 3D ballooned up the last time I tried to charge it up on the supplied charger set to 1.4 amps. I called a friend of mine for advice; He said that another friend of his just continued using it like that, and has been using it for over a year now since it ballooned. He said that there is some decreased capacity, and that he keeps a close eye on it while charging it.

Other fellow that I have asked have said to toss it, since it's ruined.

Now these things are expensive, and I don't want to go tossing money away if there's fun to be had with them.

I'm not interested in hearing from people who are just repeating what they have heard or read from the manufacturers. I want to hear from people who have real experience similar to this situation, to help me out.

What should I do?
Donkey Doctor is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:56 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26
The only puffed LiPo I have is one that came out of a bluetooth headset, it works with decreased capacity, but I sure wouldn't want it in my ear (besides , you never charge it with the headset in your ear.)

1) Get a balancing charger.
2) Get a charge bag and use it.

Eventually all batteries need replacement, this one just has a slightly shorter life.
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:23 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

I have one that ballooned on me the first time I used it.
I let it sit for a few weeks, and it went back to normal.
I carefully charged and discharged it a couple times, and it seemed fine.
I have a couple dozen flights on it now, and it is working fine, maybe a bit less output but barely noticable.
Just use care, and it may be fine.
(I heard the same thing, "Quick, throw it out before it explodes!!!"...glad I ignored that advice.)
Ron Mattiuz

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:56 PM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Al E

Total Props: 3
One of the guys in our club had a lipo catch fire on the back of his truck this summer. I was a bit cavalier about them as well but after seeing the results of that incident I personally wouldn't even consider hooking a ballooned lipo to a charger, let alone continue to use it.

When yours catches fire you'll understand.
Papa Sharptooth

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo".
"If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask.
His reply: "you a dinosaur"
astrofler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
RCC Contributor

Once a pack balloons it becomes a potential liability.

If it's severe ballooning I wouldn't even bother trying to charge it and just chuck it. If it's only a minor bubble on the top of the pack, the battery will most likely still be OK for use but, as stated, reduced capacity and performance will be a result, and you will always need to keep a very close eye on the pack, especially during charge and heavy discharge. It's normal for lipos to expand a bit during use and then contract as the pack cools down. But if ballooning persists after the pack has cooled the cells have been damaged.

It obviously becomes a potential fire hazard using physically damaged packs. Some people can live with the risk, some people can't, which is what it comes down to in the end.

You can smash up a lipo pretty good and it'll still deliver current, but for how long it remains to do so safely is like playing the lottery.
True Northern Hobbies, Inc.
Credence is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:47 PM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: dave a

When these battery packs have ballooned and it is time to 'chuck' them, what is the safe method of disposal. Is there a significant risk of them lighting on fire in a garbage truck that has a compactor?

rusty33 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
RCC Contributor

To be perfectly honest Rusty, all i've ever seen is highly varied information, even from the manufacturers, of how to properly dispose of lithium batteries. They can't seem to agree on the proper method. Some of it even conflicting with each other.

My guess is, short of bringing the batteries to a hazardous chemical dump or dump that accepts batteries (most MFG's suggest this), there is no "good, clean" way to dispose of lithium batteries. However, there are confirmed methods to make them safe enough to chuck.

First off, the soaking in salt-water method everyone says to use does not work as most would claim from all i've seen. Due to galvanic corrosion the tabs on the lithium cells will corrode away long before the cells them selves are discharged and made harmless. They will still contain stored energy, even after weeks of soaking.
However, a salt water bath DOES neutralize the electrolyte in the battery making the chemistry less hazardous. But the cells must be punctured or slit open for this to happen (see below).

Lithium batteries, to the best of my understanding, only pose a fire hazard when they contain stored energy. The best method for safely "disarming" a lithium battery is to place the pack in a fire safe area, then apply a very light load on the pack (like a small light bulb) and let it discharge to 0.0 volts. At this point the pack should no longer pose a fire hazard.
Throwing out a fully charged lithium battery is about the worst thing you can do.

Once the pack is fully discharged, then you can puncture or slit the cells on the side, and soak it in salt water for a few days to fully neutralize the cells and make it less harmful to throw out.

Obviously, at this point, the pack still contains chemicals and lithium salts however, so it's not the best thing to be chucking into our dumps one way or the other. It's not the cleanest method of disposal. Especially when said chemicals could end up in our water table.
Of course, I don't think it matters anymore anyways. Who knows what kind of nicd, alkaline and nimh piles they already got in the dumps.

You could also go for the all american route, stick the pack between some cinder blocks, overcharge it, and watch the fireworks.. Hoo ah!
True Northern Hobbies, Inc.
Credence is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #8
RCC Noob

In Calgary you can drop off rechargeable batteries at fire stations for recycling. I haven't checked if they take lipos, but the info sheet doesn't have any exclusions, so it might be worth checking with your local FD.

You could probably check here, too:
Fuzz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:16 PM   #9
RCC Apprentice

I have had Radio Shack accept lipo's for disposal. I also have had one "blow" due to improper charging and one "blow" upon crashing. Both impressive pyrotechnic displays. Also had a friend burn down part of his house and garage.

Finally, I have also used slightly puffed batteries again, but certainly noticed reduced useful flying time. I do not store these type of batteries in the house or garage. Once the chemistry in a lipo has been compromised its potential to "blow" during use or charging has increased. If you value your plane, or more important, your house, I would recommend disposal, to be safe. The ensuing conversation with your spouse about why your garage burned down might be a little stressful.

Also, be sure to get yourself a decent balancing charger. They are now available for around $60 and well worth it.
canamrichard is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:03 PM   #10
ron van sommeren
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: ron van sommeren

Disconnect LiPo's from ESC after a days flying, ESC will always draw a small amount of current.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron van Sommeren
brushless motor building tips & tricks
diy brushless motor discussion group
Drive Calculator download & discussion group
int. electric fly-in, Nijmegen, the Netherlands
ron van sommeren is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.