caught the bug, crashed the plane.... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread
Old 11-21-2007, 11:57 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
caught the bug, crashed the plane....

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Although I had built a few balsa u-controls when I was a kid (and two recently just for kicks) the 3D bug hit me hard and I am in deep! I started off with a 57" "trainer" from Ultrafly. The Tutor I bought came with servos installed, 28 amp esc (upgraded to 35) and a 350w F/18/12 brushless, control surfaces mounted ect.... The manual suggested a 3300mh 3s 20c lipo pack.

I am newbie supreme, and in a desperate move I launched her in the local football feild (adjacent to a park and a fairly large open area). The wind was calm on the ground, but apparently fairly gusty at 75'. Well, the take-off was sweet and smooth, the climb out beautiful then whosh, away she went.... Out of the park and into the neighboring sub-division. Yes, thats right over the houses and leaving fast. javascript:emoticon('')I droped the throttle, rudder then some juice, brought her around and wrapped her around a tv antenna. Damaged 2 or 3 ribs, disabled the esc (the throttle was 75% when impact occurred), damaged the motor (replacement bearings and shaft are on the way) and tore up the motor mount and some of the firewall....javascript:emoticon('')

Yes, I was lucky, and yes I should get some insurance and yes I should join a club, I agree fully.... However I still need to satisfy the evergrowing itch to fly....So I got a small foam extra 300 and tried it out.

Disaster of course. I have glued and taped the 300 together so many times I can't even begin to start asking questions... I have sawed the front off now and replaced the foam with a ply firewall and alloy motor mount. I have crashed everytime, and I am losing patience, as well as bending shafts, breaking props, snaping prop adapters, cartwheels, endo's.....

Now I have come to my senses and purchased a Cessna 182. I have transfered all of my equipment (RX=Futaba 6ex 2100mh lipo, 28amp esc, 3x9g servos B12/10 brushless) and I want to fly. This is where i need some advice. I am sure many of you out there have had some of these same issues and experiances. Unfortunately there is no one in my area (north/central ontario) that i know of, no clubs and few open areas....

This winter I will be in Winnipeg, and I know that there are flyers and clubs out there. What I would like to know more about is the expo's and channel mixing. I have also a futaba 4yf and I have been using it with the 300, set up with minimum throws. The cessna is new and I would like to think that she could stay that way, and fly. The 300 is tape and glue, so I am fine with my continued experiments in how to destroy a foam aircraft, but eventually I would like to fly the 57" tutor......then my 48" YAK 54......

does it ever stop?
highflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:11 AM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Darrell B

If you actually list what city or town your in you might be surprised to find a pilot near you that could help you before you cause some damage or harm someone .You are not helping the sport (that you seem to have fallen in love with)flying how and where you are doing it.
skyad is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:35 AM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor

thsi is true. I have not flown the 60" again. I have been working with my sim and the small foam 300. The town I am in is called Bancroft, ON and I do hope to find someone who is local to fly with, a little hands on could help me much. I am aslo going to get involved with the winnipeg club, hopfully there are some die hards that fly in the bitter cold.....Thanks for your reply
Old 11-22-2007, 02:35 PM   #4

Total Props: 1
Ya, please don't fly again till you get the coverage and an instructor.

If no one pipes up here, go to the MAAC Northern Clubs site and see what club(s) are in your area. If none are, email them and ask what you can do to learn.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
RCC Junior Contributor

ok ok I have applied for MAAC and have droped an e-mail on the winnipeg big sky folks. nothing to hit in their area, not even one tree. big sky for sure.
so, then that is done and it does bring up a very interesting Q. Is there any legislation in Caada regarding the operation of model aircraft? it seems that with the on going development of electric flight that many more people may find themselves in my situation. Someone may get hurt! the trainer I flew over those houses luckly only damaged itself. it seems apparent then that people (I know I am not the only one to fly in areas not completely suited for flight, or underestimate the range and speed of a new to you craft) any way I expect as time moves on and more and more people catch the itch someone some where will at least suggest legislation......
Old 11-22-2007, 11:48 PM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Adam Clarke
Radio of choice:
JR 9303 2.4
# of RCs: 4

Hi, Bancroft, is actuallt in the South East Zone. After a bit of searching i found two clubs that are what looks like just under an hour away as well.
Adam Clarke

MAAC# 75232
Aeroworks 75cc Extra 260
DA 85
JR 9303 2.4
atc666 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:06 AM   #7
RCC Contributor

I live in Renfrew, about an hour away from Bancroft. We have in town our ARCC Club president "Hector" and myself "club secretary".
We have pilots comming from all over the Ottawa Valley and beyond. You'd be surprised to find someone close to you that can help you with the set up and point out what you seem to be doing wrong.
This is a very small planet if you want to get somewhere.

We fly out of Arnprior, we have a website called ""
north of you is a pretty big club situated in Pembroke. they have a good number of pilot as well from all over thier part of the Valley.

You'd need to get to one of these clubs and meet the people there and ask around where some of them live.
Sure you can find someone close to you to help you out.

hope this helps

P.S. welcome to the world of R/C!!!
MAAC Member
Arnprior RC Club Secretary
Giants, Heli's, Biplanes, Gremlin's
I'll fly anything at least ONCE!!!
B-25 Mitchell (101")
jessy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:35 PM   #8
RCC Junior Contributor

expo will soften the controls at center of travel and sharpen them at the ends
mixing is a very broad subject but your radio likely has the basics ummm .....
v-tail: is for two surface tail that are shaped like a v makes the elevator work as rudder and elevator
and elevon:used for a flying wing type plane where your elevator and aileron would be the same surface

learning to fly by yourself IS possible but must be done safely i know cause i did it i started with a simulator this will allow you to crash thousands and thousands of times without losing anything fms (flying model simulator)that is free or Clearview rc, cost 30 dollars but worth every penny much better simulator than fms are two good options.

you will need to purchase a patch cord to plug your radio into your computer allowing you to use it for control. if you have a serial port on your computer then you can get them for 10$ + shipping but if no serial port is present than you will pay more like 50$ to set it up.(hint you will need to turn on your radio and run off the battery to use your radio on the simulator i didn't know and it took a while to realise what the problem was )

there are several other simulators out there and are excellent i'm sure but cost alot more altho most come with a controller

then after many long night addicted to the simulator try that trainer of yours somewhere big and open and out of town like say a farmer's feild nearby and you'll see a huge improvement

oh by the way you can also purchase ps2 lookalike controller for your pc that have analog sticks and will work for a simulator but i found that the sensetivity at center where it counts most was very poor maybe it was the controller i chose i don't know i bought a cord right away as you can't trim (definition:trim to adjust the center point of said control surface without moving the stick just in case you didn't know ) the ps2 controller

long post sorry but i wanted to make sure to encourage you to stick it out i did and wow..... this hobby rocks

i don't know who's cessna you've got but the small foamie trainer cessna i've got tends to tip stall or drop the wing when turning at low speeds it's worse than my glued to many times to count and heavy for it spitfire!
jkaz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.