General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2007, 10:56 PM   #1
RCC Master Contributor
I am: John R
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 20
Robart Retracts / Sticky down

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am just doing some final fitting etc before I finish the cosmetics, on this 1/6th P51 D. I like all my stuff to work correctly. I was told the plane had robart retracts. I traded this deal a couple years ago on a partially completed plane. I installed a new robart tank, fittings, switching valves etc. No leaks. Gear was in the wing when i got it.

Gear cycles up okay. Right gear sticks up in most cases, locking up mechanism doesn't seem to easily want to release to lower gear. Left gear always works flawlessly. I have done the standard air pressure differences, vacuuming and brushing dust, wd40. Seems that when the gear is up and sticks, if i put a bit of pressure up, the locking mechanism clicks and it releases down. Maybe engine vibration, flight will be enough, but when one works flawlessly, in my books, so should the other.

Suggestions for trouble shooting??
John Kovats

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:28 AM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum Dx-18G2, Jeti DS-16 Carbon Red

Total Props: 2

Hi John,

check to be sure that the axel or wheel isn't contacting the top of the wheel well and preventing full travel up.

Also make sure that the retract mounting plate is "square" to the retract unit and that the mount isn't causing the retract unit to be slightly bent out of shape thus causing some binding.

Not sure if you installed the rails or a previous builder but, a little trick that I always do is install the mounting rails to the retract unit first and then install in the wing. That way you're guaranteed that the rails are square to the retracts and will not cause the retract unit to be stressed when it's torqued down to the mounting plate.

Hope some of this helps.

luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: jeff t
Radio of choice:
Specktrum DX18
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 3

Loosen the screws on the gear that sticks, just a bit if it works then you will know that the rails are out, and the you will have to shim them to get it to work. Also check for any burs on the locking mechanism slightly dremel to make it work smoothly but be very carful not to take too much.. Hope this solves your problem nothing more frustrating than gear that will not work properly.
Green side is definitely not up
canadianice is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:07 AM   #4
Ed Smith

Total Props: 0
Hi John,
Just this past weekend I installed retracts in a wing, the rotating type. They worked as they should. All of the suggestions in the previous posts are valid, especially rail alignment. Have you tried them by holding just the mounting bracket in your hand (Mind your fingers) If you want someone to help you play with them you know where to find me.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: wayne b

Total Props: 5
Sometimes the retract frames simply too close together and there will be just too much friction on the trunion block for it to lock into place (This might be the same thing as Canadianice was saying... ) Take it out of the wing and loosen one of the side frames to see if it will work better ( only needs about 20 lbs of air pressure) It that helps, install a thin brass shim under each of the bolts between the retract frame and the stand off. Try it again before you re-install it in the wing....

Another cause can be the O rings sticking inside the pneumatic cylinders. BVM makes a retract lube that you can get from Great Northern models. I've been told that RC car shock oil may work, but all the ones I have seen are very thick.

If the retracts don't work perfectly and reliably on the ground, they will not work in the air...guaranteed. (don't ask......)
There aren't enough days in the weekend. -- Steven Wright
Wayne22 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.