Gone scale nuts- a tale to entertain you in the snowy winter - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Helicopters Discuss scale helicopters, tips, tricks and scale construction threads

Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Vincent V.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 1
Gone scale nuts- a tale to entertain you in the snowy winter

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Ok, long story short. September 2005 I was at Stanley Airport Fly-in, saw the most mind boggling display of RC Heli flying by "some guy" and thought hey, I used to really,really want a GMP cricket back in the early 1980's. But a week later, my first daughter was born. But, with a freshly renewed heli desire, I went out and bought a Jr Ergo on e-Bay, put it back together the right way, practiced on a Realflight G2 simulator all winter, and by spring 2006 was hovering in the back yard.
Lesson #1- "skill" on a simulator doesn't automatically transfer into a proficient pilot. But I didn't crash, so still thought I could fly like the guy I saw at the fly-in with some practice.
So with growing enthusiasm, I went to the local flying field, the Scotia Bladerunners. I'd passed the sign many times on the side of the road, always thinking "I should stop in there someday". Sure eough, there was a crew tearing up the skies, among them a young guy named Colin Bell. Yup, same guy I saw at the Stanley Fly in. Found out he is some kind of helicopter god. Although very friendly and nice fellow, still felt maybe he made a deal with the devil to suspend the laws of gravity in his favor while flying. Apparently Colin has no respect for Newton's laws of physics.
Lesson #2- Start flying at a younger age than I am now. Wish I had pursued that GMP Cricket as a teenager..
So over the summer I only flew a few times, between the weather and work, I missed the best flying days.
Lesson #3- join a club. Learned more in a couple mornings than all winter on a simulator.
Then my first crash, it got away in the back yard, hit throttle hold and I dropped into the long grass, bent spindle, broke skids, damaged wooden blades.
Lesson #4- The first crash hurts the most.
But I rebuilt it quite easily, got it up and running, then put it away for the winter. More practice on the sim. Bought a Bergen Intrepid. More parts, tools, accessories, etc. Spring 2007 saw me back at the field, flew a half tank or so.
Lesson #5 -When Colin Bell offers help, take it! Silly me, didn't want to impose upon him. Thought I had my gyro figured out. Which leads to
Lesson#6 - A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Next outing it was too windy, my gyro wasn't really set up for my radio, leading either directly or inderectly to crash #2- this time bent mainshaft, spindle again, rotor blades (this time a fibreglass one that shot past me and landed a dozen feet away.)
Lesson #7- No matter how much I pray each night, my gods will not suspend the laws of physics for me. 3D so far means Deep Dirt Digging.
However, learned a very importamt lesson that day = Scale helis are the coolest thing if done right! Was so impressed with Steve Mosher's Huey I decided to change directions and go scale. Just bought a Century Sea King fuse kit and X-cell mechanics to go in it. May be a while since kid #2 and 3 were born August 24 this year.
Lesson #8- Use effective birth control.
Lesson#9-The older a girl gets, the more her eggs desire to be free.
So here I am , also bought a Bell Long Ranger fuselage that I plan to hone my scale skills on, it's an older kit made by Miniature Air for the X-cell line. I plan to paint it up like C-GMPV RCMP Long ranger, but nothing too detailed, I'll save my efforts on the Sea King. In the 2-3 spare minutes I have each day, I hope to make slow but steady progress. I'll keep updating as it goes along.
Lesson #10 - RC helicopters are an addiction no matter which way you pursue the hobby.
Fly safe, have a Merry Christmas. Hope to get out flying more next summer.
vinver is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:51 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Shawn S

Total Props: 19
Hey Colin you're a heli god, lol, hail Lord Bell!. Anyhow cool little story there, nice thing is the hobby will always be there and you will get better and have more fun, kids will get older etc. That was alot of talk about eggs, females and what not, that dam near made a good Dr. Phil show heh.
Once upon a time there were Nitros, Flybars & Frequency pins
My Main OL Photo Gallery: http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/28268/
OICU812 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Stephen M

Total Props: 0
Good story, Vince.

Keep us updated on your progress with the scale helis. Here's another god forum to check out for scale stuff - http://www.scalerchelis.com/phpBB2/portal.php
Steve Mosher
MAAC 29257
Enfield, NS
smosher is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Vincent V.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 1
Hi Steve,
I already signed up on the scalerchelis.com forum, some of those guys are also building/built Sea Kings so should get some good advice too. I have a used X-cell 60 on the way, will try to fly it Pod 'n Boom style first to check setup. I also have a Cygnus Fuselage for my Ergo 30 (sort of a FAI type body, I'll use it as a first attempt at mounting mechanics, painting, etc before moving up to the real scale building. Still in the Research phase.)
Cheers, Vince
vinver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
RCC Noob
I am: Roy H

Total Props: 0
Hey Vince

Excellent story- and yes I was entertained ! Change the order of your story numbers, add and subtract some details, and I've done that too !

Astrowood is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.