Leaving hobby - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 12-08-2007, 03:00 PM   #11

Total Props: 1
Re: Leaving

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by warbird alley
Thanks for the input guys, I have thought long and hard about this for a while now and I think I am finished for now. If anyone is looking for some nice big warbirds, and a couple areobatics, I will be taking them to the spring auction up by Red Deer, I feel it is best to get them all gone in one shot and just buy again in the future!

And who knows, by the time march rolls around, you may have changed your mind.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #12
Ed Smith

Total Props: 0
Getting out of the hobby. What does that mean exactly??

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:41 PM   #13
RCC Senior Contributor

I got rid of most of my toys in the mid-90's, a result of family problems. I've never been so sorry about something, and will never do it again.
My suggestion is that you keep your toys, they are way to expensive to replace, and some just never come back.

I've spent most of my money and time on model airplanes, mean women, and beer. All the rest was just a waste.

MAAC 51187
mtnflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:50 PM   #14
RCC Noob

Leaving the hobby

I got out of the hobby back in the early eighties, I sold or got rid of all my aircraft, but kept my radios, engines and tools. When I returned to flying three years ago, I found that my radios had to be replaced because of technical advances (they were illegal to use at our field), but my engines worked just fine in the trainer that I bought, and built with my old tools.I would just get rid of my planes and radios, properly preserve my motors and store them away for the day that I will return.
bluejay is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:01 PM   #15
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: wayne b

Total Props: 5
Actually there is a piece of wisdom that says

"get rid of what you don't want to make room for what you do want."

I remember hanging on to the remains of my second model thinking "one day I'll fix it...." It took a couple of years until I realized although it was benignly sitting there, it was adding on to the stress levels I already had (back then) because it was another thing on the "to do" list that would never ever get done. Like I said, it was a couple of years before I came to terms with the fact that I would never repair it, and disposed of it, along with the emotional baggage it was causing...

If you are comfortable with your decision to leave the hobby, then get rid of everything, and move forward with your life. If you ever decide to come back, you are completely free to start in any branch of the hobby you want - you're not forced to pick up where you left off.
There aren't enough days in the weekend. -- Steven Wright
Wayne22 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:58 PM   #16
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Striker S

I had to pack my airplanes and related stuff up in Summer of 2004 because I was selling my house and buying another. Two kids rolled along and since then, I am now getting the dust off my stuff.

My Hangar 9 Edge540 with all metal gear digital servos and a DA50 cost me nearly a total of $2300 IIRC. I just sold the plane for $500 with electronics, huge loss in 3 years.

My practically new 9CAP transmitter was $ 650.00 when I bought it, now maybe worth $ 300.

If you have a favorite plane, keep it, sell all the others. Definitely sell ALL your electronics, I learn the hard way now that I am going the 2.4GHz way. We are burning money to start with when we purchase RC stuff so sell what you can now.

Hope you do get back into the hobby, it's a very precious one and great way to enjoy free time.

Good Luck with your plans after you leave the hobby.
Pilots can be spoken of as Kings,
When they smashed their wings,
And say, "Ah ----, it's just a couple of dings."
Striker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:44 AM   #17
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Shawn S

Total Props: 19
I know there are many excuses and reasons in the world, but why leave the hobby? Seriously, why not tone it down, or step back abit? Never really understood peeps "leaving hobby".....
Once upon a time there were Nitros, Flybars & Frequency pins
My Main OL Photo Gallery: http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/28268/
OICU812 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:00 PM   #18
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Greg P

I sold my stuff when I relocated to Saskatchewan. Soon I was a member and flying there. Keep something to get out to the field with. Keep it simple. Often we get obsessed with our passtimes and that can make them stressfull and take the fun out of it. The Stearman Bipe might be a good choice. Call me on the MDS and Byron.

What goes up.
Seafury is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #19
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6
Right, Ed

I'm with Ed on this: "what does that mean, exactly?". I left the hobby when I discovered girls, got back in after I married one, got back out when I was bitten by sports cars and a divorce, got back in when I found a really great hobby shop, got back out when personal disaster struck (nearly did me in!), got back in when I moved to an area that simply invited me to fly slope, but now I am in until they start throwing shovelfuls of dirt in my face...

Not sure I know what to do with all the stuff I have accumulated. I kept my magazines and plans from the first trip into the hobby, but now I am inundated with stuff from old friends: "Hey what do we do with Fred's old stuff? I know, let's unload it on Terry!" Anyone need some 2oz servos? A fruitbox full of wheels? Anyone? Hello?
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:00 PM   #20
RCC Apprentice

Zor is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.