Lets start over**Best first Heli** - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2007, 09:26 AM   #21
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Glad to help.

Flying a heli is very challenging, but the rewards are very satisfying if you see it though. Enjoy the journey!
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:41 PM   #22
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
Re: Study

Originally Posted by OTTERTOK
Thanks very much, will do as you suggest and learn.
PM'ed ya
Sitting and trying to finish my lear while my leg heals!
Hirobo Sceadu 50 Evolution - converted to Electric.
Kavan Alouette 2 - collecting dust.
Heli-Max MX400 EP (March 14 2008 )
Great Planes LEAR JET Kit (Build started Feb 7 ).
Herr Cessna 180,1/2A ( completed June 5 ).
Nemesis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:02 PM   #23
RCC Contributor
I am: Robert S

I know for me I just crashed my trex pretty hard and it will only cost me $30.00 if it were my 90 I would be looking at 10X that amount the blades are $100.00 and up alone. Some of the 50 size stuff is reasonable to repair though. Trust me it is a love hate relationship with these things they are so addictive!
truman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:22 AM   #24
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bob the Builder

Hey man,

I know people are trying to talk you into a 450 size heli, and I just want you to know that they are not talking you "down".

The TRex 450SE is a fantastic machine fills a very specific niche that most people have. I am building a 8S 600E, and I also fly 40% airplanes, pylon racers, gliders, etc... but I will NEVER get rid of my 450SE. It is a friend for life.

The 450 flies so stable and so sweetly, batteries are (relatively) cheap compared to glow fuel, it cruises around in high speed flight real nice (I fly fast and hard), but it can be a real sweetheart too when you slow it down. It 3Ds like a friggen' champ... I really love it. It fits in that nice metal box and I even take it with me on the airlines to fly when I'm on the road for business or pleasure. I'll never get rid of it.

As for previous RC/flight experience... I had been flying RC airplanes for a long time and doing 3D with them, plus I have almost 3,500 hours in large 4-engine aircraft (obviously "full-scale"). It really means nothing. While your learning curve might be a little steeper eventually, for the first long while you will be just as clueless as everyone else.

I have about 400 flights on my helis now (450SE, Raptor 50, and soon to be 600E). I am into hard aero and some 3D now... aileron tic-tocs, flips, rolls, inverted flying, etc... Still working methodically toward backwards and backwords inverted flying. They really keep you learning new things all the time.

I sold my Raptor .50 because I got sick of the fuel, smell, tuning, nitro eating bearings, slime, etc... Parts wore on it much faster than the TRex because of the slime getting into everything and attracting dirt and grit. The TRex has been plug-and-play for 130 flights now (wish I could have gotten more). I've made a few optional adjustments to it, but I really haven't had to touch it at all except for a single ball link that wore on me.

Best investment you can make: AeroflyPro Delux flight sim. You NEED it before the heli.

Best thing you can do... build it yourself. A single screw without loktite will bring it down in a pile of parts. Plus... you NEED to be comfortable with it. If you get a TRex, Finless Bob on www.helifreak.com has a FANTASTIC set of how-to videos for the beginning heli pilot. It really is a very rich site and is well worth some downloading and viewing.

Best tip: When learning forward flight, too much rudder is better than not enough. Too much and you will spiral skyward. You can hover back down. Too little and you will crash.

Also, get Gorilla Gear with it... it will save you some $$$ in the long run. The stock gear sucks. Everything else really is great as it comes.

Cheers and good luck!!!

P.S.- That $1500 heli you were looking at... you really were looking at about $5000 by the time you finished it with all the electronics and batteries and chargers. I am buying a $300 TRex 600E GF kit and it will be $1200 finished without batteries, and $2000 with 3 batteries. This is with some really smart shopping and some dealing.

Kit (600E GF): 300
Motor (Neu 1910H/1Y): 215
ESC (CC PH-85HV): 174
Gyro/Tail Servo (JR G7703D w/ 8900G): 219
Servos (Fut 9452 x 3): 240
Blades (undecided): 75
Batteries (FP EVO 8S1P 3700): 289 ea.

You do the math. And things cost exponentially more as you go up in size. This is it for me, though... I just want something I can 3D and go shoot auto-rotations with... autos are my favorite part of heli flying.
Will Fly For Food.
OverTemp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:31 PM   #25
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dave H
Radio of choice:
JR 12X / Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: +20

Total Props: 5
I've flown fixed wing RC aircraft for 20 years, and had my private license for 7 years. Upon my return to the hobby last year I decided to go the rotary route for a challenge, believe me the initial learning curve for a heli is harder than fixed wing.

My first heli was the Eflite CP Pro, a small electric heli. If you can fly a small electric heli that is as twitchy as this one you can fly any heli !!! For me fixed wing is simple, you deal with roll and pitch (same control on heli cyclic) and that is pretty much where it ends when comparing planes to heli's. Throttle is coupled with collective (rotor pitch), idle up is another story and you might say that the tail rotor is the same as the rudder, the function is the same but unfortunately you can't fly a plane side ways or backwards for any sustained duration.

The hardest part to flying a heli for me is keeping the orientation of the tail so that the control inputs are correct. Just as you add aileron to the low wing when flying towards yourself the same applies here, but with a heli you can fly in any direction making it tough and very easy to lose orientation.

To summerize, go and buy a heli, better yet buy a cheap electric ARF, not a twin rotor CX etc, but something challenging just to see if this is what you want. You can buy them 2nd hand on RCC for $120 CAD, believe me when I say you will crash, probably in your first few batteries. 2nd, if your serious buy a simulator, Realflight 3.5 is a good start. The simulator is not a replacement for learning but a tool to harness your ability to maintain the orientation. There are cheap online simulators that are very good, Clearview is the one I started with.

I started with a Blade CP Pro, moved on to a Trex450SE, then moved into Nitro. I currently own a Raptor 30V1, a Raptor 60V2, a Raptor 90, and a Raptor 90SE. I found that the bigger the heli the more stable the heli is, but the extra HP makes the heli very responsive. The Thunder tiger Raptor series is a good start and parts are plentiful and fairly priced.

I recently purchased 2 Gassers this winter, both are MA1005 SE's with G231PUH motors, based on what I paid for some upgrades to the helis you would not want to be dishing out cash to fix these babies up just to learn on. Either way don't let us discourage you, heli's are fun and well worth the effort is takes to learn..

Have fun.
RV-8'ting and loving it!!
**Trout Farm Flyers**
zdsh13 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:37 AM   #26
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Bob the Builder

Having flown both, RealFlight G3.5 (any G for that matter) is junk compared to AeroFlyPro Deluxe.

Great Planes really needs to pull their heads out and come up with a decent sim. 3.5 really is bad.
Will Fly For Food.
OverTemp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.