RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 2
Executive incentive

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Thought this would be an interesting conversation for this time of year. Any clubs/individuals come up with any good ideas for members to join the executive?

I have a few ideas but I want to get a feel for what works before I place myself in what could be "another" difficult position
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Brian C

Total Props: 0
Yep Put all members names in a hat that have not served and draw names.
Its there turn until next year. Before you tell them the news is better received after large amounts of alcohol has been consumed by the victim.

Make sure you get the yes i will accept or whatever resembles these words signed in blood on a contract so they can't back out when they wake up the next day.

After a 4 or 5 year stint as pres of our club as well as flight instructor and a few other duties with no signs of anyone in the club offering to take on any positions. I finally resorted to some very convincing arm twisting and convinced a couple folks to get involved. End result they have enjoyed it and are doing a much better job than i was being stretched in too many ways.

Weird thing this year we filled positions with no problems.

Bkind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
RCC Apprentice

I've been involved in SCUBA for many years. In two clubs, I was on the executive. The present one, I am just a member. I presently sit on the Board of Directors of our Condominium Corporation. Here are my 2 cents worth.... (No! I don't give change!)

If you are a mediocer to good executive you will find that people are complacent and figure you are doing such a great job that why change things. They will not run in elections. You could try to implement only a 2 year duration for any position rule, but as stated above others do not have a tendency to step up to the bat. Once in you may be there for a long time.

On the other hand you will get members that complain to the Nth degree about everything and how things should be done and they are never happy. The simple solution is to then say; "Well why don't you run for an executive position?" Then all the excuses of why they can't, come out and they are quiet for a bit.

To me it's a double edged sword. You need the dedicated people to run the club in an executive form. But then you see the same people over and over running your club when others don't step up. My suggestion...if you are willing and have the time and are willing to commit, then do so. It is extremely hard to start and maintain any organization.

(okay! maybe it was like about 2.75 cents worth, or less to others!) :P
Quhaine is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:57 PM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dave C
Radio of choice:
JR 9303
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 7
At our annual general meeting a few years ago, one member got up and went to the washroom, while he was gone he was elected president...he accepted it too!.
Dave Collis
Pitt Meadows B.C.
maac 37241
mogman is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:30 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bill Brisson
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 5
At our annual general meeting a few years ago, one member got up and went to the washroom, while he was gone he was elected president...he accepted it too!.
Sounds like out club LOL..we had out meeting just tonight...we hold the meetings out at Ralph's house (he runs our local hobby shop from his home) but he was not there, so we tried to elect him as pres.....but his wife was there to put a stop to it....nice try.

so anyway...long story shot...guess who the new club pres is......

hope I can at least keep the ball rolling and do a good job. i have a few ideas to try but I will be counting on the help of the past executive to keep us on the right path.

Bill......AKA "WW"
MAAC 46039
WOW 2000 POSTS...WOW...I need a hobby...wait...I have a hobby!
canadianf1pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:38 PM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor

Somehow convey the message that the club is a non profit society that is run by the members for the members. In essence, it is in every members best interest to make the club better as they actually own it. If they wish to complain, they should first complain to themselves as it is every members responsibility to maintain the club which they own, and set forth positive change which they owe themselves in the best interest of each members assets.

Unfortunately a flying club is seen as a paid privilege by many of the most vocal members similar to a for profit recreation membership such as a work out gym or golf membership. The executive is mistakenly portrait as employees of the club and generally the same people who do most of the work. This is not always the case, such has been shown by the members of my home club this year, but the old axiom holds true in almost all non profit that 90% of the work is done by the same 10%.

I myself have held a position in my home club but I have not been able to do much of anything this year due to my company work load. I have not attended meetings for months and I was never able to so much as cut the grass this year.

In exchange I am going to voluntarily pay 3 times the club dues for 2008 for my home field. I am doing this because I already know I cannot help out but I wish to use the field on my few days off and I feel it is the right thing to do, to help out the club. I don't help at my secondary field much if ever due to the distance and my work load but I don't fly there very much so I feel that my normal dues help out the club in a positive way.

Either way I will and always have supported the hard working members of the clubs I belong to as well as MAAC, in the ways that I can, to make them the kind of place I want. I fully understand by paying the yearly dues I own a part of that club and MAAC not as an entitlement, but as a responsibility to improve them in the ways I can.
Imac # 4751
Speedway and Hobby
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:38 PM   #7
RCC Supreme Contributor

It all sounds so familiar

I have been a member of our executive for a long time filling different positions along the way trying to make a difference where I can. I quite enjoy the responsibility of it all. It would be nice to see more guys step up and experience it.

There has to be a way to introduce incentive !
What would it take to get you"member in a club" to jump on board?
Old 12-13-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
Alan Brace
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Alan B
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

In the last few years at our club we have created an Election committee. This has worked very well for us. This year we had 3 members willing to run for President and 3 for Treasurer. With the exception of 1 the rest were new faces. Both are 2 year terms, next year it will be the Vice President and Secretary posts to be filled.
This seemed to work in my believe due to the fact you can discussed over the phone about the position instead of being put on the spot at the meeting.
MAAC 73408
Owen Sound Barnstormers
Bramalea radio controlled flyers
Alan Brace is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:36 PM   #9
RCC Supreme Contributor

That's a good idea, we normally just search for an elections officer a week before the AGM
Old 12-13-2007, 09:37 PM   #10
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
Well at the Flying Tigers you get free membership for the year if you are on the Executive.

Not the reason I did it but a good perk. I was Secretary for two years and took over the club website. Our President had been doing it for 4 years but has two kids who are demanding more of his time and our Treasurer was getting too busy at work and had to step down. The Prez moved into the Treasurers spot and left it vacant... no one stepped up so I slid over to Prez and we managed to get another member to come in as Secretary, willingly.
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.