Rumored new batteries-applicable to all types of models - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2007, 07:28 PM   #1

Total Props: 1
Rumored new batteries-applicable to all types of models

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!

Toshiba is going to release a revolutionary battery, called SCiB ( Super Charge ion Battery ), that as stated in the press release, charges 90 percent in just 5 minutes and can be recharged more than 5,000 times, which means a lifespan of over 10 years. We’ve heard rumors that this battery is going to be used also for cell phones, laptops and other gadgets, but nothing’s sure yet.

Toshiharu Watanabe stated that “The excellent performance of the SCiB will assure its successful application in industrial systems and in the electronic vehicles markets as a new energy solution.”

The new SCiB battery might help electric cars sales, because it has a lot of advantages over the usual batteries the current electric cars use and can be recharged extremely fast, in comparison with the current ones. Toshiba announced that the SCiB will be release in March 2008

Now it doesn't say how big it is but we can only hope it has uses in our planes.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
Bob Hudson
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Bob H

Total Props: 0
Perhaps the same chemistry / technology as A123 / VPX batteries?
Bob Hudson, MAAC 9709L
Bob Hudson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:43 PM   #3
R Plante
RCC Contributor
I am: Randy P

Total Props: 2
no info on discharge rates if we will get enough out of them to be useful either
R Plante is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0

Did some searching, there's not a whole lot of info available on these at the moment but I did manage to find some basic information, though I can't say how accurate it is.

Heres a link that explains the technology in more detail:

For starters, it looks like to begin with, toshiba is only interested in selling these to industrial markets which leaves us out in the cold for the time being even assuming they WERE good for our use.

Their nominal voltage is only 2.4 volts, 2.8 charged(?). Quite a bit lower than standard lithium cells which means twice as many is needed to make up the voltage. If the claimed discharge info there is correct, the cells will be rated to 12C discharge, about standard with new battery tech, but below our high performance lipo cells.

In terms of energy density, the reports have been of between 50 to 60 Wh/kg, pretty poor compared to lipos which are around ~140 Wh/kg.

Initial impressions to me seem to show that weight is not much of a consideration in the manufacture of these cells currently which means they'll be poor choices for our particular uses, which also re-affirms my original belief that likely, toshiba wants to hit car manufacturers and other markets where weight isn't as critical (Industrial UPS Backup systems, etc.)

That said, the 5 minute recharge, 10 year life cycle and ability to operate at -30 degrees(!) is very impressive. One can only hope that the technology its self takes off and that toshiba and other manufacturers attempt to improve upon it. Then we may indeed get something very worthwhile out of it that we can actually use.
True Northern Hobbies, Inc.
Credence is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:21 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Shawn S

Total Props: 19
Said it once, say it again, electric is the future, planes...helis...everything.
Once upon a time there were Nitros, Flybars & Frequency pins
My Main OL Photo Gallery:
OICU812 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:40 AM   #6
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7
Originally Posted by OICU812
Said it once, say it again, electric is the future, planes...helis...everything.
And that's coming from a man in OIL COUNTRY! Believe it!

I wonder how long it'll be before all of the top pilots at XFC are flying electric? Next year? The year after?
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.