RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 12-31-2007, 11:07 AM   #11
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Curtis H
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 53

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
ED--- you are the King of restraint. Can I be your Court Jester?? I'm with you, Boomer!!!

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:51 AM   #12
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6
Ed is fine...

Gee, sorry guys, but I am in the same group as Ed: Christmas is over, and I have no residual debts.

Rich man's hobby??? Wow, obviously this guy hasn't priced out golf, fishing, shooting, hunting... need I go on? If one can go out and buy a fully-operational radio controlled model for thirty bucks, that ain't exactly extravagance, is it? A buddy is pulling one of these things apart and using the guts for a stick & tissue model; for his $30, he gets to fool around for a few hours, then do some serious model building for a month, ending up with a truly unique product!

Aaah! I haven't even got to how much cash these guys are losing in credit card interest, bank charges, etc, enough to keep them in the hobby quite nicely for the rest of the year!

Mind you, we live in a small house, drive economical cars, and don't buy every neat gadget advertised as a must-have item. Restraint is not the same as poverty!
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:13 PM   #13
Ed Smith

Total Props: 0
Mind you, we live in a small house, drive economical cars, and don't buy every neat gadget advertised as a must-have item. Restraint is not the same as poverty!
Now is'nt that the truth?

At last a fellow traveller.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:06 PM   #14
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Brian P
Radio of choice:

Actually i do play golf,in fact i build and re-finish clubs as well.And i do fish also.
Dirty..Mean..Mighty Unclean.
rc999 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:19 PM   #15
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62
short fall

Robin, if there's something you really want or need on this sight just email the guy and ask if you could make two installments or take a couple of weeks to pay. Most guys on here are really good that way and I have done it several times with out any problems. Helping out fellow modelers is half the hobby in my opinion. I have found many friends that I can count on simply by doing business with them. Happy New Year
williame3590 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:57 PM   #16
always flying
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Manny H
Radio of choice:
Futaba 2.4
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 8
Re: Doncha just hate it!

Originally Posted by Dave Holmes
Originally Posted by Sonic Boomer
Makes me crazy when something comes available on RCC that I am interested in buying when I don't have any hobby cash
Boomer, why do you think these items became available just now? Possibly some other guys are trying to pay off the Christmas bills!
Actually......don't have any bills after christmas Looking at investing in a 100cc Carden 330 so might as well get rid of some of the smaller R/C stuff i have kicking around! The time of year has nothing to do with it!

Just want that Carden is all! and they aren't cheap!

always flying is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:15 PM   #17
RCC Noob

I try to keep ahead of the game but the unexpected always crops up all at once. Two months ago, I was confident that Christmas would be without incident. One month ago, things happened and I found that I had to dig into some of the savings I swore never to use. Still... I have a roof over my head, my family is healthy and I don't owe my kidneys to the credit card companys.
I always get some of the bigger Christmas gifts early. The secret of hiding them is to consider the recipient. I've hidden gifts for my teenage son in his closet and under his bed for years. Ask me what the chances are that a teenage boy will notice something under his bed. My wife never looks among my toys so I can hide anything with my RC stuff and she will never find it.

Cheers and hope you have a better year in '08
JustSomeGuy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #18
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Greg P

People are different when it comes to money. Some want things now and are prepared to pay more to have it. Some wait and save to prevent interest charges. Some do without things they may like to have because they are not comfortable spending. There are people on here who manage their money well and buy anything they want to. It's a personal choice and thats how it should be viewed.

Having been self diagnosed with a spending disorder I understand what it is like to make impulse buys. Can't think of any that ruined my life.

What goes up.
Seafury is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:24 PM   #19
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Most of us are willing to deal, trading can be a source of fun. One man's trash is another's treasure and all that. Post what you want and/or what you have to trade and we'll try to hook you up. I'm a sucker for old kits, especially biplanes.... right now I have a couple spare transmitters.... and that's not because I need to pay off some debts.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:09 AM   #20
Sonic Boomer
RCC Contributor

Thanks, everyone for your replies, insights, etc. The main idea/frustration I was attempting to convey was that of timing. My wife and I do a lot of things right with our resources, we plan ahead to a certain extent - my daughter starts a hairdressing course tomorrow and we are happy to enable her to do that because we put funds into an RESP for the last 18 yrs. Not to say we don't have room to improve, as is the case for most people. Over the years, I have tried to play R/C on a shoestring budget, especially when the kids were younger, even quit altogether for 5yrs while devoting major time to establishing a small business. These days, I have a bit more 'mad money' but still keep my eye open for reasonably priced used equipment here on RCC, and bide my time until it shows up. Even at that, as I stated in my first post there are other things which sometimes can be planned for and sometimes not that take priority over my own (sometimes selfish) interests.
A couple of things of interest came out of this little exercise - one friend PM'd me to let me know he had upgraded his electronics and would part with an item I am interested in when the time ($) suits me, and someone else suggested the possibility of multiple payment flexibility - I had never really thought about that before.

Later, Boomer
Robin Boomsma
MAAC 46821
Hub City Radio Control Club
Saskatoon, SK
Sonic Boomer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.