Nose dive crash hurt engine???? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 12-31-2007, 02:29 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Nose dive crash hurt engine????

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
My OS61FX glow engine endured a nose dive crash, hard!!! I have not tried to start it since and now a few years later I would like to use it again. My concern is, is it possible that the shaft was pushed back into the motor sliding on the bearings or not? I have closely viewed it but can not see that it has moved. What prcautions can I take to ensure the motor will not be damaged by running it now. Thanks for any advice you can give me. Wayne C
WayneC is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

I would take at least the back plate off and see if it pushed the crank back to it. Most OS's have a clamp type keeper on them and not a key so it may very well have moved back a bit. You should be able to feel it also when you turn it over by hand(sometimes) but if it is rubbing there will be the tell tale mark on the rear plate. It would not hurt to remove the back plate and flush out the crud from sitting so long and you can check and lubricate the bearings before a start up.
John Davidson
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:52 PM   #3
RCC Apprentice
I am: Damian P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Nose dive OS

One thing you should REALLY check out is whether or not you have ANY dirt in the carb. If you do, you should probably take as much of the engine apart as is reasonable. Any little bit of foreign debris that may have been taken in through the carb will score you cylinder. Engines are really easy to go through but if you're not sure you want to tackle the job, I'm sure your club likely has a motorhead as a member and can walk you through or clean the engine for you.

The only other thing I would be concerned about is whether the crankshaft shifted or twisted/bent at time of impact but I think that's pretty rare.

In terms of the crank moving axially to the rear on impact, you'll likely cause more damage running a starter motor on an engine that 's difficult to start as the crank does get pushed back and ends up rubbing against the back plate. This leads to quite a good amount of fine particles floating around that would also end up scoring the cylinder. An engine with a properly set up carb should be able to ignite just by finger flicking as you may have seen other modelers in your club doing. I find that's the best way to start an engine provided you are careful.

Any of my engines that I even suspect of having had contact with dirt get a teardown for complete cleaning.

Best of luck,

Build your dreams
Crash your nightmares

Damian Polanic
MAAC #67076
Damian is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Darren G
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 8
As stated, a teardown is the best thing.. Andrew Coholic did one in a FlyRC issue on a OS 46sf, so that would be helpful.. 2 strokes are an easy teardown/rebuild... My only concern is what Damian mentioned, that the crankshaft might have gotten bent... It's hard to tell in the engine (until you run it "then you'll know it's bent" vibration city )... No prop balancing is gona cure that .. The way I tell is put in in the lathe and put a dial on it, but not everyone has a lathe... you can try and straighten them but it's hard... If it is bent buy a new one (crank that is)... good luck
Darren loves Floatplanes and dirt bikes
cf-drg is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 1

Things I would check for (after a complete dissassembly)

- dirt (especially as stated in the carb)
- bearings (which can be damaged in a bad crash)
- any run out in the crank front end (bent)
- any damage to the backplate if the crank was hit hard enough to force it back

Unless you hit reallyhard on pavement, its pretty much impossible to hurt the cylinder or piston/rod. I have seen engines that have had the case cracked though and the head portion of the case bent back a degree or so. But thats a straight down crash on a hard surface.

Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
RCC Noob

Motor maintenance thank you

I would like to thank all that give me their views and answers to my question on the motor crash. I now have the informations to carry on with this motor. Thanks again Wayne C.
WayneC is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.