GP .40 J-3 Cub on Floats - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Float Planes Discuss float planes here...or any other aircraft that floats.

Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Kris Paule
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0
GP .40 J-3 Cub on Floats

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
So For Christmas my in-laws bought me a very nice Great Planes .40 size J-3 Cub kit. I want to run it on a set of GP .40 sized floats too. MY question is... what to power it with?

Any suggestions?
MAAC Member #46146

To Punish and Enslave...
kristoph is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bill Brisson
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 5
I had the GP cub and installed a Super Tiger GS.45 with a Pitts muffler. I had a set of Goldberg cub floats and a set of home made skis, and I flew that think all year long!
The power was more than enough and I had installed a bit bigger fuel tank for longer flights.
I had that plane for several years, and I put 8 or 10 gallons of fuel through it, I adjust the carb twice a year, once in spring, for summer flying and once in the winter, for ski flying. the reliability was great!
Bill......AKA "WW"
MAAC 46039
WOW 2000 POSTS...WOW...I need a hobby...wait...I have a hobby!
canadianf1pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
Bob Byrnes
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Robert B

Total Props: 1
A Thunder Tiger .46 was ample power when I had Mine.
Bob Byrnes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 37

Total Props: 15
Hello Kristoph:

Nice in-laws! I'm looking at the same outfit, GP Cub on floats or perhaps a Hanger 9 Cub on floats. I live on a lake and to keep the neighbors happy I plan to go electric. Have you considered that type of power? Electric power is certainly more expensive - .40 size motor/speed control approx $280.00 versus a $150.00 glow engine - but, its nice and quite and very clean. I happen to have an AXI 4130/20 and matching Jeti speed controller in my workshop, so I only need to purchase the rather expensive battery and I'm all set.

Good luck with your decision.

Peter Merkel
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: wayne b

Total Props: 5
What would be ideal would be a .56 four stroke (both OS and Saito offer them) if you can afford it, the prices will never be lower than they are right now.....
There aren't enough days in the weekend. -- Steven Wright
Wayne22 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:59 PM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Andrew Collins

I have a OS .60 in the H9 cub with the largest recommended prop and it allows for a nice scale-like take off. The only downfall is the noise, the trees and the water at the cottage are a natural amplifier so if I could suggest a 4 stroke should be a consideration. Also if you buy the fiberglass floats from hangar 9 make sure you seal the area where the pushrod exits the back of the float (to the rudder). The little grommet they send with the kit does not quite cut it. I took the float servo apart and sealed it with gasket silicon as well.

My 2 cents, and Its a blast when they come up and are on step before take off, and settling in after touch down. Good luck!

yakityyak is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:02 AM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor

I have the same plane & floats, I first started with a TT Pro 46 and 12X4 APC. Seem to be ok, enough power. Later switched to a Saito 65 which seemed better at low speed. Might want to consider Slocan floats they are foam and are a lighter than balsa.

Good Luck

If you're not in the trees you're not trying hard enough.

Wild Hare Edge540T/3MM-53
Mojo 65/Saito 150
Mojo 40/Saito 82 on Floats
Super Zoom 4D
NorthernBoy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:34 AM   #8
RCC Contributor
I am: Greg P

Total Props: 2
I'm doing an Adrian Page 80in cub on floats and am going to go electric so that I can fly in the early morning and evening, when it's nice and calm, without making everyone upset about the noise. I'm going to go with the large Torque outrunner and Elite Airboss ESC from The combo is on for around $200 (us) and will provide ample power for floats. The elite ESC also has a built-in switching BEC that can be used with 4 - 5 cell lipos, so an external one or a seperat Rx battery pack won't be needed. I'm sure that I'll be able to get enough watts with two 2100 4 cell packs in parallel or possibly even 3 cell packs. Another option with this motor is the A123 cells. This electric setup won't be alot more than going glow and will allow alot more oppertunities to fly. -Greg
g.p. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.