New to electric Helis - please help - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2008, 08:39 AM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Rick V

Total Props: 1
New to electric Helis - please help

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am an old time gas & nitro fixed wing pilot. Years ago I bought a Hirobo Shuttle & taught myself to hover & fly it. I would like to get one of the complete packages of electrics that are now on the market.

Do you have any recommendations?

What about the Eflight blade?

Thanks in advance
rick is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:21 AM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Brian C

Total Props: 0
If you are looking for a complete outfit in one box. Eflites and the Axe line are the standard fare for most hobby shops. These are suppied by the shops big suppiers Horizion and the Great Planes empires. these useally have local parts readily available.
If you have radio and reciever etc. The Align Trex series are also in almost every hobby store.
If you don't mind shopping online then there are many choices. everything from cheap to expert machines.
If you are just putting around the back yard the esky belt cp is a good deal. Everything in one package delivered to most canadian addresses for $200.00. If you are leaning towards more agressive flying then spend some money. As always you get what you pay for.

RC Groups mini and micro forums are the best source for electric heli info i have found on the net. Just about every machine that been released has some comments there.

Bkind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
RCC Contributor

ya i second the trex 450, or 600.

u do get what u pay for.
Sitting and trying to finish my lear while my leg heals!
Hirobo Sceadu 50 Evolution - converted to Electric.
Kavan Alouette 2 - collecting dust.
Heli-Max MX400 EP (March 14 2008 )
Great Planes LEAR JET Kit (Build started Feb 7 ).
Herr Cessna 180,1/2A ( completed June 5 ).
Nemesis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
RCC Noob

TREX 500 1st choice

Get the best of both worlds the TREX 500 is great outside. Fly's like the 600E but a little cheaper on the battery side. Also if you plan on buying a 450 for inside you can use the same batteries.
Radix is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:36 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Shawn S

Total Props: 19
Yea second what Radix says. The Blade is not truly "RTF" don't care what they say. And absolutely get what you pay for. Flamesuit on there but I think the Blades are kinda junk really. It is not that hard to build a friken heli, plus building is as important in many ways as flying. Understanding the mechanics of any heli is extremely important imho.

Whatever you choose have fun.
Once upon a time there were Nitros, Flybars & Frequency pins
My Main OL Photo Gallery:
OICU812 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:57 AM   #6
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7
Id like to add my voice to the "get a better heli" crowd too. Starting off on e-helis is hard enough, why try to go inexpensive when for a more reasonable sum you can end up with a well made, reliable, consistent, easy to maintain, much easier to fly larger?

If I were to have to do it all over again, the smallest I would go would be a Trex 450, but I would be tempted to start with a 50 size (nitro or electric). The part costs and availability on popular models now narrows the gap - the cost of power systems is now the determining factor, but its not a large as it seems.

When it comes to e-helis, you need to know how to properly operate lipo batteries. Take the time to read up on proper charging and flying. It's a drag to ruin a $40 lipo, but destroying a $300 pack will really bring you down.

Set a realistic budget of between $1000 and $2000 to get everything you'll need and then spend some time doing research online. You'll have fun learning along the way.
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:37 AM   #7
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
I guess the first question is... Are you looking for an Indoor or Outdoor Electric Heli?

You say you have sucessfully flown a nitro heli before.. are you loking for smething in the size of the Shuttle but just electric? Do you still have the Shuttle? Why not McGyver it to electric?
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:03 AM   #8
RCC Contributor
I am: Arthur F

Get back in Heli like I have after not being in it for quite a few years I tend to agree with martinic. The 450 is a great Heli but I find it a bit harder to fly to learn on than a larger .30 or 50 size nitro Heli. Around here we always seem to have some wind and it does not make it easier. If you keep watching the forum you can get some good buys on a used Heli. If the Heli is in good running shape it will be as good as new to learn on and fly. Setting up the Heli is a good part of learning. I brought a good used .30 size Heli from this forum and I do not regret it at all. If I was to do it again I would not start off with buying a 450 like I did, I would go bigger. I use to fly a .50 size years ago and from what I remember it was a lot more stable. Also get a good gyro like a Futaba 401 or a good JR it is worth the $150 bucks or so, can find used ones on the forum also. I still do use my 450 also. Just my two cents.
Raptor 50 V2
MAAC 35808
sliderx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:41 AM   #9
RCC Contributor
I am: Rick V

Total Props: 1
heli recommendations

The shuttle I used to own is long gone. I am first & foremost a fixed wing pilot looking to get a "flying fix" during the winter. Therefore I am really looking for an indoor bird. but it would be nice to be able to use it outdoors as well. As far as putting $1000 - $2000 into one. It is not in my budget.

I will keep looking for a complete trex 450 - it sounds like ther are not too many fans of the BLADES out there?
rick is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:04 AM   #10
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Al E

Total Props: 3
I dunno...

I learned on a blade and frankly if not for the blade I wouldn't be flying the five helis I own now.

While they certainly are not a trex, they are light and durable and easily and cheaply fixed in a crash. In a number of the crashes I had it was just a matter of straightening out a few things and flying again.

the same crashes on a trex would have not only had me down for days, but darned discouraged at the same time.

parts for the blade are in just about every hobby shop.

also great for indoors, IMHO a better size for indoors. and indoors you're not gonna be flying any 3D so why do you need a 3d capable heli.

Although my poor beat out old blade has long been retired I wouldn't poor mouth it for anything. I had a blast with it and owe all my heli time to it's durability and fun factor.
Papa Sharptooth

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo".
"If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask.
His reply: "you a dinosaur"
astrofler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.