dry grass - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #1

Total Props: 0
dry grass

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
this summer i witnessed a rc jet land on our field then a grass fire broke out on the field

it was very windy and very dry but the fire was stomped out fairly quick but the pilot never had the sence to take out his fire equipment

this field has been retained threw good luck only and im trying to remain non-bias but i dont see how this can be a good thing in the heat of the summer

is this a common problem with jets and is our field in danger of yet another threat??

Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: wayne b

Total Props: 5
Where did this happen?
Flying jets always requires sound judgement and common sense...but so does flying any model...
There aren't enough days in the weekend. -- Steven Wright
Wayne22 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
RCC Contributor

I'll second Wayne's question. Where was the spotter with the Fire extinguisher!? That's a big part of their job. Better question, was he flying with a spotter?

Ed Miedzybrocki
Great Northern Models
Your Canadian Jet Source for BVM, Festo, Fei Bao, Robart, JetCat, Jersey Modeler, Skymaster, Graupner Modelbau and more coming...!!!
rcav8tr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:44 AM   #4

on this day,the fire extinguisher was nothing more than false security.

circling the field was dry grain [winter wheat] and i question what good the fire extigisher would have done anyways had he landed in the wheat.

i will give him some credit though,,he had the forsight to have the flame protected with ductwork before luanching although it was somewhat of an admission of guilt..

just one wk earlier there was a local farmer in the area that had a field catch fire and it was reported to cost him 8000 bucks in fees to the county becuase he lit the fire but it got out of control which had me wonder,,would MAAC insurance pay such a bill??would the club pay such a bill??

Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
First step would be to go over the MAAC Safety Code and the sections that deal with turbine-powered models. I'm assuming that you mean turbine-powered as opposed to the IC or electric models.

The objective of the insurance company is to NOT pay out on claims, so it falls on the flyer and the club to ensure that the Safety Code is met and followed to the letter.

It's probably too late to have a talk with the modeller in question, but that was definitely a near thing.

If you see something that doesn't match the Safety Code, bring it forward to the modeller (be non-argumentative and low-keyed). If the modeller doesn't make sure that they're following the Safety Code or tells you to FO&D (f off and die), then take it to the Executive immediately.

I've seen some clubs spout that "safety is everyone's business and everyone is a Safety Officer" but don't step up to the plate when there are issues raised. And clubs where action is taken and the members back-bite because the Safety Code as applied "interferes with their fun".

Both are situations waiting for incidents to happen. Note that I did not say the word "accident" as in these cases, the situation is easily corrected but people persist in doing what they shouldn't.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Jets have the strictest safety rules

Your profile does not show who you are or where from since I am interested to know where did this happen.

Typically the pilot's spotter is on standby to attend to emergencies since the pilot, I assume has just landed and is most likely still controlling the plane.

It is extremely rare for such an occurrence to happen, at least I have not heard or seen it even in the driest of places, and nevertheless, as you say, it occurred.

For MAAC jet safety rule, see below.

As far as Insurance, only MAAC can answer, Please give them a call. I do not understand insurance policies.

This occurrence should not discourage your club from allowing jets, common sense and clear guidelines to your pilots is the answer. It is important no to fall into the trap of saying that jets are unsafe and ban them especially since jets have the strictest safety rules and their engine control units has built-in safety measures.

When operating any Turbine Engine model aircraft MAAC members will adhere to the following:
*NOTE: These rules are designed to ensure the safety of turbine operators as well as spectators and the general public. The rules are not intended to restrict or impede engine or airframe development and as such shall be reviewed on an annual
basis to accommodate the changing technological advances in turbine engine manufacture and operations.
1. I will follow the Code of Practice for the Safe Operation of Model Gas Turbines, published by the Gas Turbine Builders Association, sections 1 through 8.
2. I will have a CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) fire extinguisher present and manned for all turbine operations.
3. I will ensure fire-fighting equipment is available prior to operating a turbine engine model aircraft at a MAAC sanctioned event.
4. I will use wheel brakes on my turbine engine model aircraft unless the aircraft can be demonstrated to remain motionless when released with engine at idle.
5. I will not use flexible plastic bags (i.e. intravenous bag) as fuel tanks in turbine engine model aircraft.
6. I will fuel and start my turbine engine model aircraft following safety procedures established by the manufacturer.
7. I will fuel propane powered turbine engine model aircraft in a remote area away from spectators, engines, start areas and ignition sources.
8. I will ensure the tailpipe (exhaust) is not pointed at any person, combustible or fragile object.
9. I will ensure all non-essential personnel remain 10 metres from the turbine engine model aircraft during the starting process.
10. I will have an electrical (i.e. solenoid) or mechanical fuel shutoff valve in the fuel delivery system capable of restricting fuel flow in the event of an emergency.
11. I will not attempt any speed record utilizing a turbine engine model aircraft in Canada until both the Jet and Safety Committee has been consulted.
12. I will have a spotter/assistant when operating a turbine engine model aircraft.
13. I will not fly turbine engine model aircraft with the turbine mounted on the outside of the airframe (i.e. below the fuselage or wing), unless the turbine is mounted in such a way that during normal flight operations (including a retract failure) the hot section of the turbine body does not come in contact with the ground.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 33
turbines & fire

Fire in the pit area or on the fringe of the pit area is easily controlled, more importantly here is, how dry and flammable is the 'overfly' area? (dry winter wheat?)

The overfly area of our current field is normally a grain field which is o.k. until it ripens at the end of August. At that time we alter our flying patterns to avoid this field as much as possible and preferrably avoid it altogether.

This practice served us in good stead in the fall about 3 years ago. A fellow flying at our field became disoriented, crashed his jet in a summerfallow field with the ensuing fire and a TOTAL loss of engine, airframe etc. Because of the location of the crash the only issue was the total loss of the engine and airframe, had we not briefed before the flight to avoid the grain field we would have had a major disaster on our hands, the fire was so intense that a 10 pound Halon extinguisher had no effect whatsoever on the fire.

We are in the process of moving our field to a different area on the farm so we are always flying over our property and we are always flying over an area that is in hay or pasture and much more fire resistant.

I'm not trying to be alarmest here, but we need to be very aware what we are flying over, the pit area is the least of our worries. I have, in the past, refused to fly at certain fields because of the extreme fire hazard of the overfly area....this may be due to the fact that I grew up on the farm and have witnessed a 1/4 section engulfed in flames ......better safe than sorry.....Ron
reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.