Removing covering glue - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Todd n
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 2
Removing covering glue

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I was given a trainer wing with some damaged covering. In my haste, I peeled off all of the covering without using the iron. What a mess, with glue and coloring leftovers.

I sanded one wing a few months ago to rough up the glue for recovering. What a waste of time. Took about 3 hours. So I left the other one for quite awhile.

Got the bright idea to iron some old covering over the glue, then peel it while it's warm. Worked out pretty good till I ran out of scrap pieces. I then started using the backing from Ultracote covering. Shiny side up and the other side looks kinda porous. This works like a dream and it's translucent so you can see when the glue melts. 3 hours work down to about 20 minutes. Just some very minor sanding left now.

Just thought I'd share the idea.

CHEVPRO is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Phil E. P

Total Props: 2
Hey Todd,the next time you run in this same problem,try some steel wool and lacquer thinner.
It worked great for me.
pep is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
Sonic Boomer
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
Yeah that's OK until you try to remove covering from a foam core wing- praesto, just like magic, lacquer thinner dissolves the foam right thru the sheeting. BEWARE

Robin Boomsma
MAAC 46821
Hub City Radio Control Club
Saskatoon, SK
Sonic Boomer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.