what glue works the best?? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Indoor Flying Discuss indoor flying

Old 01-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Darryl

Total Props: 0
what glue works the best??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
what glue works the best : well guys i have been building indoor foamys for 2 seasons know and was wondering what you all feel is the best type of glue to use????
warhawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Brad Kacer

UHU Creativ if you are feeling rich........

Aileens Tacky glue otherwise......

Both are available at Michaels. Both have no stink, and both can be used as either a contact cement, or allowed to set up. Both dry flexible.

Mine is not to reason why; I just wire them up to fry...I mean Fly!
I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it!!!
I never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the chandelier......

Brad Kacer
MAAC # 29287
igor_throw_the_switch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:53 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor

Ontario Adhesives has a foam glue which is, from what I have read very good, although I have not tried it yet.
As for the others
It truly depends what your goals are.

UHU Creative styropor is a very good glue that does not become brittle but it is heavy. On a plus side, it strips well off servos and Carbon when you need to remove it

Medium foam safe or orderless CA is the standard but it is heavy and brittle but with the moderate use of foam safe kicker can be used strategically and well such as areas that need a glue gusset. It is a pain in the arse to get it off servos and carbon

Thin Foam safe orderless Ca is my foamy building choice. A very little goes a long way with a tight kit build. This offers the lightest build if used sparingly. It is a pain in the arse to get it off servos and carbon

Hot glue works well but is very heavy. Hot glue peels off carbon and plastic well

5 minute epoxy should almost never be used with the exception of some fire wall applications. never comes off anything without sanding
Imac # 4751
Speedway and Hobby
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Ontario Adhesives foam 2 foam glue was really a pleasant surprise. Used it to glue the complete indoor I got for Christmas and I am really impressed with how well it is holding up. Unlike the CA's there is no brittleness and where I glued the plywood disk motor mount to the foam it looks like you would tear the foam apart rather than come apart at the glue joint. Sets up faster than any of the glues from the craft shops like Michaels that I have tried. I actually bought Chris's foamy kit and you could probably build 3 or 4 foamies from on kit. It has the foam safe ca, epoxy and foam 2 foam.

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
RCC Contributor
I am: fred f

Total Props: 2
I like Poly glue on a new build, foam safe CA on repairs.
1THEPALMER is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:18 PM   #6
RCC Contributor
I am: Den O.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14SG, 7C

Total Props: 4
I use foam safe medium CA for airframe construction and clear silicone for servo and engine mount installation. I find the silicone bonds well and provides just enought give so that things don't break loose from vibration, bumps and dings...it's also fairly easy to cut away and clean off servos, etc.
d_orgera is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
Sport Flyer
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Kelvin M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: &#8

I'm in the process of assemblying my first indoor foamy right now and find this a nice and timely thread as I'm doing a little experimentation on this.

I'm trying to avoid using CA as it's expensive and I feel it can dry brittle.
I just joined the wing of my flatout to the fuse using Polyurathane. I'm pretty pleased with the results. Last night I used UPor Creativ styro to attach the struts and control horns, as well a couple of gobs of hot glue for the servo mounts. Tonight I'll attach the tail feathers using either UPOR or some Aileene's foam craft glue that I picked up at Michael's.

I've got some depron coming in from BC in the next couple of weeks, and will be experimenting with using Welbond for laminating. I'm also going to include a couple of tubes of the chinese foam glue stocked at Hobbycity the next time I order from them.
Gravity -- Its the law!!
Sport Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:59 PM   #8
Sport Flyer
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Kelvin M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: &#8

Tried that Aileens glue. Went to check it at bedtime and was dissappointed. Still soft, and the glue basically just rolls right off the foam. Switching to UPOR.
Gravity -- Its the law!!
Sport Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:32 PM   #9
RCC Noob
I am: Heribert
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 4

Re: what glue works the best??

The Germans have developed a special adhesive for hobby materials (balsa, plastic, hardwood, plywood, film, metal, Depron etc.). Is incredibly good.

Last edited by herbiehoss; 03-21-2011 at 02:58 PM.
herbiehoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Andy S

Total Props: 2
Re: what glue works the best??

I have used a combination of a lot of the products listed above and each has its place. One note I would add is do not use a hot glue gun as it is so hot it melts the foam. There is a warm glue gun though (also available at Michaels) that works much better. Both the hot glue guns and warm glue guns use the same, very cheap, glue sticks.
MAAC# 31956
j3_av8r is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.