RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2008, 06:24 PM   #1
Second time around
RCC Pro Contributor

Total Props: 0
wankel REPAIR

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am looking for different ideas on how to repair this wankel muffler mount .I think JB weld is out of the question so .
what next aluminum welding or what .
Please suggest your ideas .
Second time around is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim M

Total Props: 1
I used JB weld to hold a carb on a 46 I had ... lasted about 2 years before it gave out ... but with the extra mass of the muffler it may not stand up as per your thoughts ... unless you could support the mass off the muffler another way ... ie. using a metal strap around muffler ... just a thought.
Jim Moss
MAAC 16236
IMAC 3716
My Old Gallery:
Straighten Up & Fly Right!
JimMoss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
Sonic Boomer
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
re: casting repair

Hi Ken, ouch that one's a bit ugly.

A couple of ideas - IF you are considering a weld repair, the only process I would recommend is TIG, also called heliarc. This method imparts the least amount of heat to the part thus minimizing warpage. It is also the best to use for finely detailed aluminum parts. The key factor would be finding someone with a high degree of skill to do the job. Also, you will need to have access to some decent machining equipment to restore the mounting boss to shape and dimension.

A second option and probably easier to accomplish would be to fabricate a steel sleeve to fit over the remains of the mounting boss. It may require removal of the closest fin, but at least you can save the engine. You would file, or otherwise make the outside of the existing boss round and straight, press on the sleeve (with muffler retaining holes already drilled and tapped). Then fabricate a dowel the same diameter as the muffler inlet and insert in the port. You can then fill in the missing material in the original boss with JB weld or high temp epoxy. After it sets up, remove the dowel, clean up the area and you should be good to go. Important point - use a material for the dowel which the JB weld won't adhere to or coat the dowel with something. PVA (polyvinylalcohol) a fiberglass mould release product comes to mind. It is water soluble so if necc, the part can be soaked to soften it.

I hope at least these ideas give you a start.

Robin Boomsma
MAAC 46821
Hub City Radio Control Club
Saskatoon, SK
Sonic Boomer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Karl Goinarov

Total Props: 14
Hi, I have the same engine and that part of the engine is not aluminum.You will have to take it apart for any kind of weld repair.I'd also be concerned about warping the part by welding.

Kargon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.