FS 120 info ? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
FS 120 info ?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have come across a FS-120 surpass 2. The engine is used but apears to be in very good condition with box,tools and paperwork.This is a pumped engine and I have no experiance with such. Im sure it has been in the box for a period of time. It seems a bit heavy 34 oz ?. Could some one with experiance give me some input about reliability and is this a strong unit. Would like to put it in a sport/3 D airframe, not sure what weight,prop exc. I should be looking at. Apreciate any input, thanks.
HIGH FLYER is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:41 AM   #2
RCC Apprentice

mounted the engine on a test stand and ran tonight, filled the shop with smoke big time. seemed very finiky to adjust but above all it was very noisey. Sounded like bearing or gear train noise, it was very pronounsed. Also noted bubbles coming out from under valve cover, screws are tight. Not feeling to compfortable with this, thinking I might put it back in the box and return it to its rightful owner. Any input ?.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:00 AM   #3
Ed Smith

I cannot comment on the noise except to say that any engine run in an enclosed space sounds awful. Bubbles coming from under the valve cover is not a problem. The early four strokes did not have valve covers. Make up a paper gasket, that will solve that problem.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike s

Total Props: 9
You have a great engine, in its time it was one of the best on the market. I have had 2 of them.

The bubbles are caused by blow-by either in the valves or through the crankshaft. Don't worry about it unless excessive.

One of the problems with this engine is the pump, it puts out way too much pressure. The solution is to put a T fitting between the pump outlet and the carb. The Tee is then routed back to the fuel tank. This effectively lowers the fuel pressure by routing excess fuel back to the tank. The needle valve range will be broaden making it much easier to adjust and the engine VERY reliable.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
RCC Apprentice

Thanks, im thinking I would need a stoper with four fittings as the pump draws and returns excess fuel to and from the tank and the manual states to leave one open to vent. I can understand an engine would sound different in an enclosed area, altough not outside it is a large nine bay truck centre and you could still hear a "case noise ? " from two bays aside that still has me concerned. Mike Im sure you would have mentioned if your engines seemed noisy, I think Im going to pass on this one and return it as I don't really need and seem to have no shortage of things that are not just quite right or could use some improvement. thanks again.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.