General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 30

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
You have done a great building and paint job here - the only thing that I like to do now is remind people to check their CG.

I have known a couple of guys that mounted floats and went flying - their balance was so messed up... well the plane didn't survive.

So... I don't mean to insult... I just remind people of the basics.

Happy Landings!
Life is either a daring adventure...
...or nothing.
bbbair is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:50 AM   #12
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Curtis H
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 53
[quote="bbbair"]You have done a great building and paint job here - the only thing that I like to do now is remind people to check their CG.

Whoops, damn near forgot that important little detail. Thanks bbbair

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #13
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Travis H

Total Props: 13

Hey Curt, your Cub looks very good. I'm sure you won't over look any of the details before you fly it. As usual it will be set up perfect. Just remember to pull up you tx antena. I'm still hopeing to get my Lt 40 on floats yet before spring but my Fourstar is taking a little longer than I had hoped. Homelife and work come first.
I am going to miss our evening flying trips and b.s. sessions now that you are moving. Getting together on a nice evening for a little flying, was something that I really looked forward to. Several of my new planes will have to wait for their maiden until we get together this spring. I think my Chipmunk and Mustang could use the benefit of Imperials long runway.
I will see you Monday afternon.

Pie tastes better with Cool Whip.
thuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:39 PM   #14
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Geoff B
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9

Total Props: 2
Travis you make sure to send me a PM when you get that Chippy in the air. I am betting you will enjoy that plane very much. And curt now that you have the cub on floats, you'll have to come down to the cabin with travis of course (Last Mountain Regional Park) and we can fly floats some weekend. also the 4th hole on the golf course opens up over a huge pasture and is a great runway. I have made a little progress on the Beaver and have ripped the old covering off and got the wings recovered. And got the covering for the fuse. It will be ready for the spring!!!!!

Proud owner of a Hitec A9!!

Maac #79113
Flyboy76 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #15
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 1
Everyone's a critic and you asked for comments, so here goes, based on many years of float flying with high wings, low wings, 2 strokes, 4 strokes, gassers, on floats, flying boats, scale, sport, aerobatic, etc. etc.

You'll know if the foats are good or not once you try them. Some work great and others not so great. These look to be a bit disproportionately long behind the step compared to the length of the forward section. On full size, you'll generally find less difference, with the forward section quite often just a tad longer, except with Wipline where the forward section is much longer than the rear. It could just be the angle of the photo.

You can run with a wood prop on water. I've done it with the same prop on the plane for an entire season of flying every week. Mind you, if you do get any spray into it, the prop becomes a toothpick, immediately. Put on anything other than wood and forget about the possibility of losing your prop to water spray. Even on full size float planes with metal props, the spray causes considerable damage. Makes quite a noise when it hits the prop too.

No need to move the RX and battery off the floor. Your plane will flip over one day. And when a Cub flips, it sits with the nose submerged and right where you have the RX now will be under water. The floor will be well above the water and dry.

Make certain that your struts are rigid and there is no wobbling of the plane on the floats. It would help to put a diagonal brace between the front and rear struts.

Those wire spreaders between the floats look like they could wiggle up and down and sideways quite a bit. If they do, you will find that 1/4" aircraft ply spreaders about 1" wide will prevent any of that. With wiggly floats, you will have a very challenging take off run!

About the only full size plane that you will find that uses the wheel landing gear on floats is the Fleet Canuick 80. And a J-3 certainly does not. It also does not duplicate the LG fairing on the rear strut. It also sits higher off the top of the floats than it would off the ground on wheels. Additionally, the front strut is angled forward from the attachment on the fuselage. Minor stuff, I suppose. It just does not look like full size the way it is.

Full size planes also chuck the tailwheel when on floats. There's no need for it and it only gets in the way.

Some Cubs use a sub fin and some do not. My experience with the GP CUb on floats was that it behaves much better with a sub fin.

Balance is usually not an issue with a well designed set of floats. I've normally found that it's a simple matter of taking off the landing gear and mounting the floats, with no significant change in CG. Of course, this also requires proper location of the intended CG of the plane relative to the step of the floats.

Whatever you do, hook up both water rudders because it makes taxiing easier and don't forget to hold full up elevator when taxiing downwind or making a downwind turn. Otherwise, you'll wonder why you can't complete the task. Using ailerons in cross wind taxiing as on full size float planes helps too.

And get out there and fly it!
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #16
Friesen 5
RCC Apprentice
I am: Mervin Friesen
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0
Great information! Thanks for posting.

Mervin Friesen
Friesen 5 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:46 AM   #17
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Curtis H
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 53
DO335..... Lots of good info, thanks. I wasn't going for scale looks on the landing gear, just functionality and I plan on swapping from floats to wheels quite often so that is why I left the tailwheel on and used the original gear. You are right about the rx, only safe place is in a box on my shelf . I'll be putting a plastic prop on for water and use the woody for land. I definately have to support the floats better to keep the wobble out of them. Still some work to do.

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:56 PM   #18
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Sweet looking Cub my friend. If you've never flown with floats before, your in for a real treat. And really, nothing looks better than a Cub taking off and landing on the water!

Perhaps this pic will help you get some of the prespective DO335 is talking about!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	on_floats_862.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	30378  
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #19
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15
Really looks nice Curt. I owned a 1/4 scale one on floats.Oh yea I lived on a lake for a year and it was my runway.Not sure if you are going to fly from shore or go out in the water on a boat. I had to do the boat as trees grew right to waters edge or enough so that you couldn't get a real clear view.So I will comment on what I learned, anchor your boat as the wind will change direction this will keep you pointed into the wind.This will also enable you to monitor the waves as they won't change direction as fast as the wind Always land into the wave otherwise it could grab your float and flip you over(when I talk waves this could be anything from a slight ripple up to a 2 or 3inch wave anything much bigger could well be a little rough to take off from.As John stated have floats parallel to slight toe in,but the biggest thing I found was make sure the STEP is exactly under the CG and they are also level to the main wing.Not down slightly or up slightly but dead level. The biggest reason for these two adjustments is I am sure you have heard guys say I couldn't take off it was this or that. Well it was those two I just stated. Step in wrong place and floats can't get up on STEP and leave the water behind almost like suction holding them down and if they are not dead level you have now changed the angle of attack on the wing and we all know what that will do .
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.