Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Romeo R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 3
four stroke detonation

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
i was at a four stroke instruction site, and they where talking about detonation, they explained how it happens, however the did not say how to fix it. i'm not very familiar with four stroke engine yet, so there are some few question, for the guru's out there.

1. How do you recognize detonation. it was explained that it is bad for the engine.
2. how do we fix it.

thanks in advance

maac #38176
sport flyer
rome is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
I think everyone who has owned a 4 stroke engine has experienced detonation at some point. Detonation is usually caused by having your mixture setting too lean expecially on the low end or throttle idle side.

The fuel air mixture fires or ignites too soon before the poston has made its full upward travel which can stop the piston travel abruptly and what happens is the engine Pops and throws the spinning propellor right off the shaft. Thats one sure way to recognize detonation.

How to fix is fairily easy. What I do to set up my needle settings is to tune the settings for maximum RPM and then back off the needle dropping the RPM about 3 - 400 RPM. This will assure that your not running too lean and should take care of the detonation.

I have also been told that under rare circumstances, that detonation can also occur if the compression of the engine is too high. You will hear a sharp popping sound as your engine is running at even higher RPM settings. A friend said he had this problem but was able to fix it by using a shim under the head or the cylender reducing the amount of compression. Perhaps someone who has more knowledge about this aspect of the engine should explain this!!!

I really wouldn't worry too much about detonation unless you are experienceing your engine popping and throwing the prop. Just run your engine slightly richer and you shouldn't have a problem.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:37 PM   #3
David McMillan
I am: David M

Total Props: 1
What your talking about is pre-detonation or effectively knocking or dieseling.

before fuel injectors, badly tuned engines that got hot could experience run-on. that sputtering that can wiggle your car for 5 to 10 seconds after you shut it off.

Same effect. older automobiles have a distributor where you can set the detination point with respect to Top Dead Center (TDC) Now it''s usually controlled with electronic ignition to optimize combustion.

All 4 stroke engines have a spark advance, as the objective is to reach maximum compression for maximum power. You want the fuel to reach peak heat, and peak pressure during the burn cycle when the piston reaches TDC.

If the rpm is too low and the cyllinder is hot you can generate enough pressure before TDC to kick back the piston and drive the model engine backwards.

A Few things you can do:
Find a slower burning or cooler running fuel.
Reduce compression as mentioned (and power)
Keep your rpm a little higher at idle.

My first suggestion would be to find a heavier Prop. If you can add rotational inertia to the engine, it will be less succeptable to kickback.

Think Bigger flywheel... more rotational inertia and so the force needed for kickback or detination will be higher.

Hope this helps...

David McMillan
Pres, Indoor Electric Flyers
David McMillan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Romeo R
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 3

answer,explanation and solution. exactly what i need.

thanks Gary and dave
maac #38176
sport flyer
rome is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:31 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM

Total Props: 13

A few months ago I purchased an ASP .61 4S. When I googled it this article came up on detonation. The cure was put a .020 " aluminum shim under the head and switch to 5% nitro fuel. This engine was designed to run on FAI fuel and the compression is very high. I made a shim of .025" aluminum and installed it. The only fuel I had was 10%. at full throttle it still pinged. I have found a hobby shop with FAI fuel so I am going to try that. Pinging on this engine sounds like the cylinder is being tapped with a screwdriver unevenly.
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.