General rule of thumb for moving to giant scale?? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2008, 07:04 PM   #11
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Eric J
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-10G, JR X9303
# of RCs: 40

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Now that someone has posted a genuinely helpful reply I hope it's ok to post a smart-alec one:

If you have to ask you aren't ready, and if you believe you're so good that you don't have to ask you aren't ready.
eajohnson is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:10 PM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Colin Munkley
Radio of choice:
Jr 12X mode 1
# of RCs: 12+

Originally Posted by eajohnson
Now that someone has posted a genuinely helpful reply I hope it's ok to post a smart-alec one:

If you have to ask you aren't ready, and if you believe you're so good that you don't have to ask you aren't ready.
so really no body should be flying giant scale then ok at last some ability to transport, ability to get in and out of the airfield safley, a good giude/proficient pilot on hand / self confidence, keep them comong......
When I grow up I want to be a pilot!!
Colyn is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:20 PM   #13
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Randy Brown

Some People arent ready for 40%

Someday some people going to need help to land and some people arent gong to be around

Some people aire not ready..

and if you have to ask when are you ready.. your not ready

you had to ask

Randy Brown
MAAC 45752L
Team Airtronics
Randy Brown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:34 PM   #14
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Douglas S

Total Props: 3
Re: The giant scale transition :)

Good Day Colyn..

You raise a good question.. I don't think our governing body has very much in place to ensure we have competant pilots beyond the trainer stage. Correct me if I am wrong but at this time you could concievably fly 20 flights on your trainer "What ever" pass your wings test.. and promply go out and buy yourself a 40%er and if you could half ass get it together and get it started, you would be able to try and fly it. I don't agree with it but that is just my loonies worth.

I am going to get flamed for this but what the hell..:0) I think there should be more strict rules and ratings if you will, for this sport. You should start with a training aircraft and work your way up in classes and have to show proficiency as you progress is size or wieght. I would be inclined to go by flying weight since a Sr Telemaster has an 8 foot wing span (Quite large) but only weighs 10lbs. In my mind it's the mass that will do the damage or injury. Having said that have you seen how crazy some of the pilon racers are, if you get smoked at 60-80 miles an hour with a 4lb airplane you are going to suffer an injury for sure, never mind the prop.

The professionals in this sport are some of the worst offendors for flying wrecklessly, sure they can fly, what if there is a system failure and you lose control flying close to the pilot line

Personally I am a big sissy, I don't like them flying close to me, the rules are there to be 100 ft out but not everyone follows it. I have worked hard not to be wreckless with them. I get funny looks when I ask seasonned RC'r to move behind the airplane when I am starting it. Yet there must be something to my madness as my son can Kick A** with the best of them and you won't catch him flying over the pit/crowd.

Well enough prop wash from me.. :D

All the best

Riverdancer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:03 PM   #15
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Colin Munkley
Radio of choice:
Jr 12X mode 1
# of RCs: 12+

Looks like there are some that have the idea thanks Doug, stay safe and use your common sense, even the best pilots have bad days....Mr. Brown sure indicates that a bad day with brain farts when it comes time to land means you should not own any thing bigger than a 40 size glow plane, I witnessed who I believe to be one of the best pilots, crash a 40%er and read that another was destroyed by him too, what do you think Mr. Brown back to a trainer for him??? No I did not think so Practice practice and more practice and patience with a good dose of encouragement and guidance oh and a bit of spare cash goes a long way too
When I grow up I want to be a pilot!!
Colyn is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:19 PM   #16
RCC Supreme Contributor

It is a simple rules of thumb for going giant.
One rule that keeps most away, Can you afford to put it in on the maiden?
Can you stuff a $5000 - $8000 dollar plane instead of saving it if people are in jeopardy?
Are you prepared to spend money on the quality parts with redundancy?

Grace periods, climbing the ladder is very individual. I have seen guys that have flown for 20+ years I would not let touch my sticks. I have offered my TX on my 35% to a guy who is in his first year. It comes down to control of the plane.
If your left hand moves as much as right hand at all times on the controls go as big as you like. If the left does nothing except on landing and take off then you are not ready, ESPECIALLY if you do not pull the throttle back on down lines.

If you have competitive scale aerobatic pilots at your field above basic ask them what they think of your flying. They should give the straight answer you are seeking.

Ps I went from a trainer to 2 sig something extras and a twist (40 size) to a 27% then eventually a 35%

As far as the pros and cons of bigger:
Bigger flys so much better it is sick. Comparing a 30% gasser to a 35% gasser is like comparing a 40 size glow to a 1.80 glow. I am not exaggerating.
I have flown others 40% and compared to my 35% it is ridiculous.
Cons: justifying spending over $5000 PLUS A TRAILER to your loved ones the first time, no matter how supportive they are.
Imac # 4751
Speedway and Hobby
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #17
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Craig K
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 7

moving on up

my two cents worth

I've been flying R/C somewhat erratically (according to some ) for over 30 years I've flown in pattern contests years ago, slid a bit while the kids were growing up and now I am flying Scale Aerobatics.
This season, I'll be flying a 36% Katana - I'm sure you've seen all the posts about that deal :P

My suggestions is that first, you need to be really comfortable with your ability. What the heck is that? Can you fly any type aircraft? Hot pattern types, hairy flippy planes, etc. Once you are comfortable in your abilities, then you're ready to try bigger. Whether you jump rightr into a 40% Yak or work up gradually is up to you.
If you have just graduated from a Nexstar, I would try something more aerobatic first - Ultrasport or such.
I started SA with a 90 sized Extra, then tried a CG Sukhoi with a Saito 150, then for the last two years I flew a venerable BME Edge 50cc
For me progression was not difficult. As has been said earlier, once you are past the size thing, bigger airplanes do fly better. ( for others anyway)
I'm still working on my "finesse "
hope this is helpful
Craig 4850
MAAC #9467L IMAC 3706
Aeroworks 35% Yellow Extra 260, DL 100
JR 9503 2.4
craigk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #18
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Beyond the obvious... when you have enough money, I think the most important thing is to use the expertise of other and ask for help.

Most important during the construction is to have an experienced person check it out for you. Most things that work fine in a small plane are not good enough for large scale. You need stronger servos, pushrods, hinges, etc.

Have an instructor field check and do the trim / test flight.

As mentioned before, larger aircraft can actually be easier to fly but the investment and potential danger is much greater. Greater danger warrants greater caution.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:29 PM   #19
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dave C
Radio of choice:
JR 9303
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 7
Colyn, I don't know what your competence level is (no offence intended) but I would get someone at your club who might have a 1/4 scale cub or the like let you take the controls while it is up in the air.
As mentioned the bigger airplanes generally fly slower, they will take up more space in the air,your depth perception will need to be adjusted etc,
If you feel confident enough to try it, go for it, there is no specific time that you will be ready, it'll just happen.
Remember little airplanes FLIT, big airplanes FLY
Good luck and don't be afraid to seek help from your clubmates.
Dave Collis
Pitt Meadows B.C.
maac 37241
mogman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:28 PM   #20
Sonic Boomer
RCC Contributor

Hooooo Colyn, what have you started here ? I can see this thread mushrooming in short order Let me add some fuel to the fire. Elsewhere on this site there is a thread under way regarding a proposal submitted to MAAC already suggesting essentially a distinct classification for pilots of electrics. Considering the area of giant scale, it could easily go the same way for similar reasons. The airframes, power and control systems, their maintenance and operation are steps beyond the average .40 to .60 glow sport aircraft which I think still comprise the bulk of planes at most fields. Soooo.....what do we want? Separate and distinct pilot classifications including appropriate training and testing for each at the local or possibly provincial level ? It wouldn't be a big stretch to see that happen based on the various interest areas within MAAC that already exist. Then who would set it all up, develop and provide materials and procedures etc. MAAC? For there to be any consistency it would have to be, otherwise if I travelled to an out of province event, who is to know if I have had adequate training. I belong to a club with approx. 80 members who represent a wide range of interest and ability, but I think we would struggle to manage a more highly structured program than we have now. We have a hard time filling all of our executive positions. If I have an interest in say, sailplanes and there is no-one else in my club with exprertise and appropriate training to teach me, then in a highly structured environment, I simply could not pursue my interest... unless of course I search out another club where qualified training is available.
I have read elsewhere also that insurance claims are on the increase - however I don't know if those claims applied to one or more specific aspects of R/C interest - if 50% of them involved large aircraft for instance, I could see MAAC moving to implement some controls to reduce the risk of repeating the same stats this year - if I were the insurance underwriter, I would demand it
If this is starting to sound confusing, it is for good reason My mind just starts to swim Just trying to get a handle on what could take place. More questions are coming than answers. I know from my own experience in moving into larger aircraft - I have a Sig Sukhoi (78") with gasser I am learning on with help from friends in the club, we help each other and I think that is the way it should be. I don't want more 'legislation' in my hobby, I get more than enough of it in the rest of my life. At the same time I know 'the times they are-a-changin' so it's best to be prepared for it.
My two cents....go for it guys

Robin Boomsma
MAAC 46821
Hub City Radio Control Club
Saskatoon, SK
Sonic Boomer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.