General rule of thumb for moving to giant scale?? - Page 6 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2008, 09:55 PM   #51
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Derek

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Colin,

I can relate to your question...... I just purchased a Norseman on floats that has a 96" wing

I will be starting my training this spring, new to the hobby, I'm also not sure when I will be able fly this baby but I figure until the time comes I will just admire it in one piece in my shop!

KWRC is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:52 PM   #52
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
Something about the constant sun and fun out here
I am looking forward to a great practice session this weekend, warm, dry on a snow free grass runway of about 750' . Have fun shoveling boys
Imac # 4751
Speedway and Hobby
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #53
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Geoff B
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9

Total Props: 2
Now that's just mean!!!!! ^^^

The comments about moving to a bigger plane and then sweating it out because you weren't comfortable with the money spent and were to scared to fly the way you can hit home for me. And it was just with a World Models Super Chipmunk!!!!! "64 wingspan. I put a lot of work into making that plane look perfect and bought my first 4-stroke ever to put in it. I only flew the plane 6-7 times and then sold it because i couldn't enjoy flying it. I was worried about damaging it. I was also nervous about the 4-stroke as i had just gotten done reading a thread about one throwing it's prop. I will chalk up the 4-stroke to the fact that i don't fly with a club and haven't had any exposure to 4-strokes. but i wil stick with .40 size planes for now!! maybe i'll move up someday....... maybe not!

Proud owner of a Hitec A9!!

Maac #79113
Flyboy76 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #54
RCC Noob

Going bigger?

I think only you can make that decision for yourself.

I have not yet tried any planes bigger than a 90 size engine, but I want
to try it, although the biggest hindrance that I see is the cost and the handling part of it.

Cost--big factor (one crash cost more money than 40 size crash).
Handling--big factor (need a bigger car, need a bigger space in my house,
fly w/out assistance-maybe??, noisy/ annoying to neighbors-in our present
club field) etc.

Flying is no problem, I think I can handle it.

Anyway, the topic starter maybe is gearing towards an Aerobatic Giant Scale, but for me I will start w/ a High Winger CUB or similar, just to familiarize myself w/ the set-up and running Gasoline Engines and most
importantly the handling of a big plane on the field.

Go ahead, give it a try, but do it with COMMON SENSE.

My opinion only.

VERTOL1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #55
RCC Junior Contributor

i moved from 60" wing trainer to a 30" foam spitfire hehe not a good move smaller is harder! then went up to a 120 wild stick set up not so wild and was blown away that plane was easier to fly than my trainer ever was after snapping the the wildstick into the dirt violently i bought a QQ 73" yak and agian it flew better than my trainer did but that's when the $$ figures started rolling in front of my eyes while flying makes it very nerve racking and spent most of my flights triying to land ..... frustrating ig i flew any other airplane mine or not i could grease the landing no matter what conditions but i could relax while doing it

the big yak scared me and i tried to push through until i cracked it on a windy day on landing. after fixing i realised that it wasn't that big of a deal and was able to push that plane pretty good until i started getting some minor engine trouble my confidence plumetted again and i started making noobie mistakes again and well ended the season with a two peice fuselage making transportation home that day quite easy although sad

anyway the point i'm trying to make is this year i'm not going to worry about it I've just about repaired that yak back to like new and i plan to fly the crap out of it this year i've realised that everything is fixable and if it isn't well no big deal just wait you'll be back in the air soon enough and probable learned something from it
jkaz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #56
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
By listening to the comments from the last few posts, I thought of something I was told a number of years ago. I had just purchased a new video camera and was hot to trot to get some flying video. I went to the Kitchener Scale Rally and was given permission to stand just behind the pilot stations and take video as the pilots were flying their beautiful aircraft.

One particular plane caught my eye as I had actually had the priveledge of flying a friends full sized plane...The model was a 1/4 scale Aircoupe beautifully done and detailed to the nuts to replicate the full sized model. I took about 5 full minutes of video of this awsome plane. Thinking the fellow was finished as he did a landing approach, at touchdown and partial roll out, I stopped tapeing. Then he gave her full throttle and went to take off again. Not sure what happened but the plane got about 30' off the deck, and did a spiral right into the ground with parts flying everywhere! I turned to the fellow standing near and said: " Oh dear, what a shame, it was such a beautiful model. Must have cost him a fortune to build and finish. Geez I really hate to see that!" The fellow turned to me and said: "Well, heres the truth of the matter, If you can't afford to crash em, you can't afford to fly em!"

From that point on, I always thought of that whenever I considered purchasing or building a plane....Never fly anything I cannot afford to lose! I think thats where common sense should the considering stage, NOT after you've built/assembled it! I have a few large planes and I do love them but I don't think I have ever had or will have as much flying anything as I did my Telemaster 40 - over 600 flights.

My point is, you don't have to go big to enjoy the emense pleasure of flying a model plane. AND your right, its not much fun having a big beautiful plane but always being worried of how much your going to lose if you crash it!

Fly what you can afford to fly and enjoy what you fly!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #57
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Colin Munkley
Radio of choice:
Jr 12X mode 1
# of RCs: 12+

I don’t know about anybody else but if I build a plane from new I am more worried about flying it as I have put so much time into it I was really nervous when I first flew the 35% Carden I bought from KP but after 10 fights after my knees stopped knocking I loved it and it was easier to land than some of the smaller glow planes I had flown, but I have since found it is less nerve racking buying a used plane as I did not build it so I don’t have the attachment to it as I would had I have built it. I used to Rally when I lived in the U.K but my rally car was also my only form of transport so when ever I did a rally I was always nervous because I’d have no vehicle to drive if I stuffed it, then later on I managed to buy another form of transport the next time I did an event in the car I was that much quicker because I was more relaxed…make sense?? I apply this to flying now not that it makes me a better pilot but it just takes the edge off the nerves …Colin.
When I grow up I want to be a pilot!!
Colyn is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.