What Radio do you use? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Brian P
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 0
What Radio do you use?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Which radio are you using?

Dirty..Mean..Mighty Unclean.
rc999 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Craig K
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 7

I have a Spektrum DX7 for indoor and my IMAC rides and JR6102 for glow stuff (until I sell it all )
Craig 4850
MAAC #9467L IMAC 3706
Aeroworks 35% Yellow Extra 260, DL 100
JR 9503 2.4
craigk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 1
which radio you use

Don't forget the qualifier - "and why?"

In the past, I used Orbit and CRC because that was what we had and at the time Kraft was prohibitively expensive.

Later on, I went to JR since my preference was single stick and everyone else was discontinuing those models.

At the same time, I acquired a Futaba 3 channel boat/car radio - since that was what was available in a high end radio that suited my needs and tastes.

Now I have a computer system and it's Futaba. I hate 2 stick radios and still prefer single stick. So I'm stuck there. However, the only reason that I did not want a JR was that they need a TX battery to maintain the memory (is this still the case?), eventhough I prefer the JR to Fuatba for several other reasons. I hate batteries even more than dual stick transmitters and other features. That's also why I use magneto instead of electronic ignition on gas engines. I hate batteries.

The back up battery issue was the overriding reason for me to choose Futaba over JR this time around.

There's always a reason for the decision. That's what's at the heart of it.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
RCC Master Contributor
I am: George S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2
I started with a used Airtronics Vanguard then bought a Air 6000 super so I could use my old receiver with it. Lots of good used Airtronics stuff around so now I have 6 flight packs and love my system. That being said no one else seems to fly it and new stuff is getting rare.

Thats my 2 cents. George
I keep having the same mechanical problem. I've got a loose nut on the transmitter!

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor

I started 2 years ago with an old Airtronics radio that came with a trainer I bought used. Then moved to a JR XF622 which was a gift. After acquiring a few planes, the 2-model memory wasn't enough, so I recently bought a used JR XP6102 to match my receivers, and so I could use the 622 for a buddy box if necessary. I didn't switch to 2.4 mostly because I figured used gear for 72MHz would get cheap & easy to find.
Ben Hindmarsh

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
Sonic Boomer
RCC Contributor

My first system was a Kraft series 78 for which I think I paid in excess of $400 in about 1979. I had to put my R/C stuff away for several years and later sold everything to a friend for cheap. Got going again in 1992 with an Airtronics 4ch Vanguard which I still have and use for my spad combat planes, also have a 6ch Vanguard as a spare. My main equipment is Futaba - one FP-T7UAF and two FP-T7UAFS units with a mix of futaba and hitec acessories. Had a JR 622 for about a year in there somewhere - but prefer Futaba so off it went to someone who would appreciate it. Futaba 2.4 GHz is in the future as I am entering the larger gasser area.

Robin Boomsma
MAAC 46821
Hub City Radio Control Club
Saskatoon, SK
Sonic Boomer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #7
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Bought my first RC Radio back in 1974. It was a 3 channel MRC with servos that weighed about a half pound each. Cost me a fortune at the time, about $250. I was paid $2.50 back then. I only flew for about one summer, by myself so I sold everything.

Came back in 1991 and bought an Ace MicroPro 7000, which had dual RF decks so I could switch between two channels, 16 and 28. Had other cool features like in flight trim, snap roll switch, rubber Ducky antenna, RS232 port to down load aircraft model memory and it had an updateable EEPROM chip to upgrade the software.... that was $400 at cost price.

From there an until just a month ago, I purchased a Hitec Eclipse 7 for $180 with Spectra. For the money it was/is an awsome little radio.

I've just moved over to the dark side and purchased a JR X9303 2.4 GHz which I haven't had the opportunity to use yet but am looking forward to it!

Hard to believe that technology has developed by leaps and bounds and so much cheeper now than just a few years ago!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Ross T
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 4
Picked up my first RC aircraft and radio as a package. A Logictrol c/w shorting plug, a QwikFli lll with an Enya 61 that had gulped about 50 gals of fuel. Learning to fly with that combo was a bit of a stretch.
My next radio was Heathkit, because I couldn't afford a Kraft. I assembled 3 of them, and aquired 2 more. They were terrific radios in their day, and I never had a glitch or a failure that was not thumb induced.
Left the hobby for 12 years for the IPSC circuit. When I came back, of course, the gear was out of spec, and too costly to update, so donated it all to my old High School's robotics program. Now it's Futaba; 6DA (2) and 6EXA. Both have been excellent!
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!
"Do or do not...there is no try"
roscoe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:15 PM   #9
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26
My first radios were an aluminum cased Futaba/Udisco with five wire servos and a Sanwa four channel.

I've owned about twelve radios in the two decades since then and ended up with a Futaba 9ZAP WC2 (used gently) and a new 7CAP. (I still have a box filled with car radios somewhere, JR, Futaba and Hitec).

I went with Futaba because my buddy and his instructor had Futaba.

Things to note: the 9Z is difficult to learn to program (if you hadn't been programming PID controls and alarm systems before), and the 9Z synth module does not seem to work with any single conversion receivers (just got a new synth rx to try out).
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:08 AM   #10
RCC Contributor

AIRTRONICS RD6000 - this is used for my heli's and planes.
and i have an old MRC - collecting dust
and some older AIRTRONICS - collecting dust
Sitting and trying to finish my lear while my leg heals!
Hirobo Sceadu 50 Evolution - converted to Electric.
Kavan Alouette 2 - collecting dust.
Heli-Max MX400 EP (March 14 2008 )
Great Planes LEAR JET Kit (Build started Feb 7 ).
Herr Cessna 180,1/2A ( completed June 5 ).
Nemesis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.