Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Geoff B
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9

Total Props: 2
Mine!!!!! It's all Mine!!!!!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Finally, i have a spot INSIDE my house that i can set up my airplane stuff and not have to clean it up and pack it away after each session. It is not a very big room but i have a childproof lock on the door to keep my very curious 4 year old daughter out when i am not in there. And i have put up a couple shelves and a 200W bulb so it's like working in full sunshine!! lol I have refrained from building for this reason alone. I would spend at least 1/2 an hour getting set up then work for an hour then my little girl would start to complain that i wasn't paying enough attention to her or my wife would complain about wanting the kitchen table back so i would spend a 1/2 hour packing everything up again. Pretty frustrating to say the least. I won't build in my garage because it is not heated plus my son who is 13 steals all the space in the garage for working on his various go cart engines and other creations. So now i can build at my leisure. It has been awesome so far. I have started to work on fixing up my Beaver which was a little banged up and also fixing up the Hog Bipe that i bought off of Wayne 22. I was going to sell my SSE kit but not anymore!!!!!! The neatest part was last night i glued some pieces of scrap together that looked like a plane and let Karlee help me cover it. She was really excited and played with it all day today!!

Just wanted to share

Proud owner of a Hitec A9!!

Maac #79113
Flyboy76 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
Nice! I'd love to have a space for my models... they live in a closet until I want to charge or fly... and I build on top of a freezer in the basement! Needless to say, I can only glue before bed in case something is needed from the freezer, then have to clean it all off of the freezer whenever something is needed!

Hahaha... congrats on the new space!
Ben Hindmarsh

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Michel G

Total Props: 8

CONGRADULTIONS , I most certainly know what that means

M.A.A.C. 75640
Hitec Aurora 9
LT-40 LT-60 Alpha-40 Tiger-60 (90 )
ARF P-51 40 TF-P51 Giant KIT
TopFite P-51 Giant ARF X 3
Hanger 9 SpitFire 60 ARF X2
TopFlite Elder-40 ( on the board )
Aero Works 540 T -60
The Ground came up and hit my plane
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
Steven Dew
RCC Contributor
I am: Steven Dew
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50

Congrats, It really nice to see stories like this.

Being older and my kids are grown and gone, I have lots of room to build and layout room with a 5' by 8' table as well, but there are days that I wouldn't mind some company. Cherish the time with your kids. They are gone all to soon.

MAAC #23584L
IMAC #4335
Past President Soo Modellers
Steven Dew is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:08 PM   #5
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Geoff B
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9

Total Props: 2
Oh for sure!!! Karlee is interested in my planes, and while i can't tell if it is just simple 4 year old curiosity or if it will grow into more than that, i always let her be in there with me when i am working. Josh on the other hand already knows more about small engines than i ever will!!! He likes watching me fly but has no interest in flying himself. He'd rather be on his dirt bike or chasing girls! She always comes when i go flying. I just put her in the back of the truck and she watches from there while i fly. If it is a nice evening the wife will come to but she is bad luck, the last 2 times she came i came home with a broken plane
Proud owner of a Hitec A9!!

Maac #79113
Flyboy76 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Curtis H
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 53
Originally Posted by Flyboy76
If it is a nice evening the wife will come to but she is bad luck, the last 2 times she came i came home with a broken plane
GEOFF... you are supposed to keep your eyes on your plane, not your lovely wife . It is great to see that you have your own building room. Your fleet will grow rapidly now . I'm building in the basement of my house on my pool table now that I don't have the shop to build in anymore. Not as much room but it will do for now till I build myself my own hobby shop.

Great to hear and happy building

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chris R

Total Props: 1

Nothing like having your own space for YOUR toys!

A couple years ago we bought a 2000 sq. ft ranch (not including the basement). 1/2 the basement is unfinished, so when we got it, I claimed the 33'x13' workshop in the back portion of the basement. I've got enough room for 2 building tables, 2 set up tables, a bench for the drill press, scroll & band saws, sander and a dremel mini table saw, plus a shelf unit for all the stock for Ontario Adhesives. And still have lots of room!

Some week ends I go down there on Saturday morning and my wife doesn't see me until Monday morning!!

Chris Rebidoux
Gravity works. I've tested it......often!!!
Building: Jerry Bates 1/4 Chipmunk
Vancouver Vanguard 1/6 Fairey Firefly
planecrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
It sure means a lot and makes modeling life so much better to have your own building space. Congratulations and good for you!

I knew it was time to move out of the living room when we had friends over and someone made a comment on the lovely dinning room table. My wife smiled and said "We both just love it...I serve dinners on it and Gary has worked on a lot of airplanes on that table!" Hmmm time to move out for sure...but where?

I set to work and built a backyard shed 8' X 12' with 7'6" ceiling with a loft in the rafters. I built shelves all along the back and one side. I took everything out of the garage and organized it and stored it in the shed. The whole garage is now my workshop. First thing I did was to install an auto grage door opener and build two tables, one for building on and one for all the power tools like drill press, band saw, gringer, belt sander, table scroll saw and vices. Built a few custom shelves, made racks for the plane wings, tool box stand and compressor.

This summer I need to insulate the ceiling as well as the large door, and install an overhead gas heater. In the winter the large door will stay closed but I have an outside side door as well as a door from the inside hallway to the garage. I will be able to work out there all year round once thats done. A workshop deluxe just for me... It will be my own little space of heaven on earth!

So I know exactly how you feel my friend and its great eh what? All the best to you and happy building!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:10 PM   #9
RCC Junior Contributor

i was fortunate to have a small room in my last rental house to work in but i couldn't assemble anything bigger than my foamies

but with the renter deciding to sell the house it was time to buy my own so now i have 1100 sqft of basement nearly to myself
it's nice putting together any of my planes without feeling cramped

kudos to you guys and i know how you feel
jkaz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:19 AM   #10
RCC Contributor
I am: Harold D
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15+

Building room

Well guys being new to this hobby( started last year) I got myself a trainer and went to my local flying field, was taken under the wing of 2 guys, Al Coolen, and Al Eastman, both these fellows are great, well I got my wings and I'm have a new addiction.

I have several planes, I have turned my music room into hanger, and my great wife backs me 100%.

I have sold off a few off my guitars to support my new habit, and now have lots of room, I make a mess in there don't have to worry, just turn out the lights, close the door and wait for the next rebuild. , no kids at home all moved out,

My room is 12'x14', I guess I'm lucky to have this much room, seems some of you guys don't have a room, so I'm not going to complain any more.

Just a note; had my first fly off ski's 2 weekends ago, WHAT A BLAST!!!
What a great hobby this is!

Happy wife, happy life
sugarpops is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.