GWS A-10 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Closed Thread
Old 02-29-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: DM

Total Props: 3
GWS A-10

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I bought a GWS A-10 long ago but am now just getting around to finishing it up for the upcoming season. I am new to electric flight and I want to go with Li-Po's on this project. What would be an appropriate choice that would not fry my motors? I have a Hobbico Quick MKII charger. I read on Hobbicos website that they can do up to 3 cell Li-Po and Li-Ion. I also have no clue as to the type of electric speed control to put in it. I am not using the stock engines and fans I turfed those right away. I have an upgrade kit with fans, engines, and nacelles. The kit says on the package EDF-150 complete conversion kit. But that is all it says.

Famous last words, "Watch this!!".
Norm is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26
Did you mean EDP150? as in propeller conversion from fan?

6 to 10.8 Volts, depending on the propeller used,

Spec sheet here

desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:23 PM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: DM

Total Props: 3

Nope mine was a kit with 6 blade ducted fans, new foam nacelles, and upgraded motors.
Famous last words, "Watch this!!".
Norm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:26 AM   #4
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Getting back to your main question: what size li-poly packs do you need?

The easiest way of doimg this is to first make sure that your speed controller is set up for lipoly. You can get away with using a nicd/nimh ESC but you have to track your flying time to make sure that you don't fry the lipoly since the cutoff voltage for nicd/nimh's is below the drop-dead oltage for lipolys. At least that's the quick-and-dirty answer for that.

Also, the charger MUST be lipoly capable. Sounds like yours is OK for the size that you'll need

Next is to look at the recommended battery pack size (voltage and mah rating).

Round the voltage up to the next multiple of 3.7 volts and that's the number of series batteries you'll need.

MAH rating is to take the recommended mah rating of the nicd/nimh pack and divide that by .8 (eg 750 mah for nicd/nimh becomes 1000 mah to give you the same flying time). Reason: the gurus on lipolys that I hang out with state taht getting under 20% of the rated capacity of the pack leaves you at risk for draining the pack under the critical voltage.

Alternate for that is to figure out what the flying time for 8-% of your pack is.

C rating on the pack is dependent upon the maximum draw of the motors and how long you'll be there. Check the other forums (see below) for discussions. The higher the C rating, the more they'll cost. Again, drawing for extended periods at the maximum rating (or close to it) for the pack does not do it any good.

I'd also check out other threads here on RCCanada, as well as RCGroups and RCUniverse. Since this is an established kit and has been around for years, there's lots of knowledge posted. You have to dig for it.

Another good source for materials and ideas is the Electric Model Flyers of Southern Ontario (
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: john g
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 DSMX

Total Props: 1
Well I have the standard setup with the 6 blade fans and stock motors.Can't remember the size of the motors but I was told not to use what I had and that was a Thunder power 3/2100 Lipo.Well I have flown this setup with a 30 amp brushed controller and have over well over 50 flights on this setup.Never a problem maybe I'm just lucky or ?.Anyways I was told not to as the motor can't handly the power of the cells but its still flying for over three years now.I have one servo for the elevator and one for the ailerons and as I said a 30 amp controller.And I do use the throttle allot so its not that I go slow.I had this setup at the KW flyen a couple years back and guys were surprised to find out that it was a stock setup with motor and fans and many had thought I had a brushless setup.By the way I saw two guys that day with them tucked under there arms after they had talk to me.The A-10 is in the hands of my brother this season as I am flying my Alfa F86 sabre as this one is setup with a complete brushless setup and loves to turn and burn.I have a set of drop tanks to put onto the F86 this season so I have to get that done as well as finish up on a couple builds.Hope this can help you out a little as I was affraid at first with the stock setup but it works good for me and I hope you can enjoy the same from yours.John
If I could fit in my plane I would
BigJohn is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.