Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Re: oldtimers

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by williame3590
Just so you know Gary I spoke with Jason about this topic before making my post. Is there a law against a vote? If this was inappropriate I'm sure Jason will remove it and seeing as you have no interest why comment at all? Regards Bill
Why is it that when anybody makes a comment someone has to take offence?? I am all for oldtimers and hope to see a forem for this. There has been much discussion lately about conduct on this site and people demanding certain rights as if this were just another publicly owned site.

All I meant to say was that this topic has already been discussed in the comments and suggestions forem and IS ALREADY beeing considered by Jason. MY comments were meant to be a friendly suggestion that rather than saying VOTE which to some might suggest that by voting you can force change to do what ever you want to change things, when in fact if it were put to the folks here as a thread to show interest rather than say VOTE it would be a kinder way of letting Jason know that folks are interested.

This was NOT intended as a diss or accusation and I meant no disrespect.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Total Props: 0
Young rc'ers, Old rc'ers.... What about us middle aged rc'ers.

I built an old kit with old methods, took forever but loads of fun. I'd love to be able to read on the old planes, techniques and experiences.

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:38 PM   #13
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: dougl
Radio of choice:
mp 8000....JR x9303
# of RCs: 8

hey bill,
see what i said would happen???

has now deleted all of origenal now it has nothing to do with what he said...and what you are replying to...

reminds me of dick slap..remember him???
doug lachance
AMA L402
MAAC 17402
JPO 2378
dougl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:53 PM   #14
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6
Vintage models

Go for it, good idea. I think that the young guys recognise that some of the most beautiful (and ugly) and diverse models were built early on. I have a few plans, and have built a few as well. I had to sell my Long Cabin , and just recently ran across the plans. This time it will be 50" electric...

The sooner the better, Jason.
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:54 PM   #15
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 17

I like your idea. I'm in for the new category.
Frank Klenk
MAAC 32001L
IMAC 3698
MECA 4762
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #16
Flying Farmer
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 2
Count one "YES" for Vintage, Antique, and Oldtimer

I too would love to see forum dealing with models, and the modelers who made them from a time in the past. You gotta know where you came from to understand where you are going has been one of my motto`s in life and it has served me well.
I have been flying model aircraft since I could walk, RC since 79 after my brother in 75, and before him my father used to fly U-Control with the founding members of the Hamilton Flying Tigers on the Mt Hope Airport taxi -way ( now Hamilton Munroe International)
Nothing I enjoy more is listening to my father talk about those days, stories of men like Don Scott, Don Gordeneer, Mert Forteny and the models they built and flew.
The models then were built and designed in a age when aesthetic style counted for something. When the modeler brought out his airplane to the field not just to show off the latest expensive piece of hardware he blew his paycheck on, not some over-sized, cookie-cutter chunk of plastic, but his idea of ARTWORK in wood and fabric. His sculpture that not only did he put his sweat into all winter, but a great deal of his own personal style and pride.
I am personally myself taking a breather from my Showtime, Edge, Pitts heat shrunk, China assembled one of a million clones ( another of my favorite sayings is you can`t polish a turd, and polish your $7000 IMAAC plastic covered airplane as much as you want, and its still a turd) and building a 1938 design covered with silk and dope just for the simple joy of carving balsa, showing my children how much effort it takes, and the pleasure of watching something you made with your own two hands fly.
I love nostalgia, its my whole life, from the 18th century furniture in my home, the 60`s muscle car I drive, to the job I make my income from, is all from a age when things were simpler, and craftsmanship meant everything.
And I can`t wait to see a Vintage/Antique/Old timer forum on here to learn facts from the modelers who built them, and the stories they can tell of flying them. And if it does not happen, all the more reason to spend my time (time reading reviews, and looking at manufactures ads) on other RC web sights who do have that forum.
And regarding Gary Makers previous Post (the one he edited/removed earlier today), I would not worry about his lecturing Bill, his mouth I hear out at the Hamilton sight is just as big as ever, and is constantly getting his foot stuck in it, leading to typing his only way of communication. one "YES" in favor of a Vintage, Antique, Old timer section on here, Chad Hossack, M.A.A.C. # 18435
Flying Farmer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:24 PM   #17
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Ross T
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 4
Here's another "YES" vote! Just finishing a QwikFli Mklll, a vintage ship if ever there was.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!
"Do or do not...there is no try"
roscoe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #18
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Brad M

Total Props: 5
Vintage/Antique/Old Timer

Hello Bill ,that is a great idea of having a Vintage/Antique/Old timer forum! I would love to see what others are building, as I have in my hanger one old timer (80") and a set of plans I pick-up along with two other guys from our club last fall (Play Boy 80" span). I enjoy many "ENDS" of this hobby as I also fly 40% scale aerobatics /war-birds/scale & ducted fan, I don't think you need to be older to fly these ,just to remember when that all there was to this ever growing hobby, in 10 -15 yrs what we are flying today will also be "OLD TIMER"

I vote YES to or support a new Vintage/Antique/Old timer Forum!
Bradley Metcalf "Maddog"
maddog is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:58 PM   #19
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Paul Petrie
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9cSuper
# of RCs: 10+

My "vote"...YES!
An old timer section would be great. As I am new to the hobby but not new to lifie, I am smart enough to know that many people have a lot of knowledge/history to pass on. I also would look forward to hearing some stories and seeing some kits from the past. Does the plethora of ARF/RTF kits on the market today take away from the "old timers"? I would like to think it does not. I would like to think that it has brought this fine hobby more to the front and that as newbies like myself buy/fly their new ready-made kits that sooner or later they will want to expand their horizons and build a plane to call their own. The one that they built. Not some factory. Having an old timers section would allow such a person to find valuable information/help/guidance and hopefully enjoy a chuckle or two along the way. Just my opinion but I do hope such a section gets created.
leopard1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:48 AM   #20
I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1
Ol' Timers Re-union!

Mornin' all! I think an old timer's forum would be terrific, hell, many of the kits in my closet still waiting to be built, are now being considered practically 'old timer'! As am I, myself. I remember getting my first sheet of sixteenth after the War, building Megow Sapphires, Spitballs (converted to a glider after seeing an older fellow's Sindbad Sailor) [hence my nom!], Comet Sparky; others lost in memory (helped by a girl lodger, which impressed me very much at an impressionable age!) and upon starting work, building a soft-valve XFG-1 Pike receiver with ECC 5A relay and just never being the same since - Veron Skyscooter with Mills 1,3cc, et al! And observing, helping, always learning.
Watching others and wishing I could afford a fancy new radio. How much easier it all seems now.
Golly, stop this headlong nostalgia trip!
Well, my tuppence worth.
"Spitball" AKA Cedric
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.