New with questions - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
New with questions

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi all,

Trying to get into the hobby and I'm quite excited about it all. I have looked around and I'm thinking of the Nexstar.

I have looked on the forum "for sale" have a post in the wanted plane. It seems that there arent nearly as many used trainers as I figured.

I have seen a few used planes in a hobby in Bayside. The asking price was $175. This included the plane and the engine. The owner said that a radio would be about $190. So now that i've explained my situation here come the questions.

1. Is it worth going to a store and paying 375 for the Nexstar kit?

2. The radio in the kit i believe is 4 channel. Would it be better to buy a plane and say a 6 or 8 channel?

3. Am I just not seeing trainers for sale at this time as it is out of season?

4. What type of price am I looking at for a used trainer with everything? I assume everything means plane, radio, engine, servos.
TfcTechbelleville is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
The big advantage purchasing the whole package from a Hobby Store is that eveything is brand new and will have a warrenty!

There are good deals that come up from time to time on used stuff but unless you know what your looking for or looking at, it could cause you a lot of anxiety if things don't work the way its suppose to.

The Nexstar package is a very good deal for a beginner. The plane flys perfectly right out of the box. The engine is a great quality engine and they run flawlessly. A 6 channel radio would be nice but for the first year or two a 4 channel will be all you need and will be fine for you.

Really, the only thing you might want to do with a later airplane is add flaps or perhaps retractable landing gear but as long as I have been flying I hardly have ever uses those things. Most of the planes I have now after flying for 20 years would do quite nicely on a 4 channel radio.

I doubt that you'll be able to get any better value than buying the Nexstar even if buying used equipment. And like I said, with used gear, you pay your money and take your chances. Of course this is just my opinion but I'm just trying to help you get started in the right direction!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:10 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor

You have to remember that most of the trainers you'd see on RCC would be a long way off. It is definitely not worth shipping a trainer, so this wouldn't be much good to you unless you were planning to make a trip into the GTA or something. Go to that club meeting listed in the other post, the guy who posted the info says he has a trainer for sale, and is confident that there will be others for sale if you were to ask at the meeting.

As for the radio, I would get a minimum of a 6-channel transmitter. A JR XP6102 or a Spektrum DX7 would be great for you. The JR XP6102 is a 72mHz radio, but you can also get one that has been converted to the 2.4 GHz technology, which is superior (for all intents and purposes, not to start an argument!). I'm not sure what the Hitec and Futaba equivalents of these are, I'm sure they are good too. You want a programmable computer radio with a 5+ model memory.

I've only been flying RC for less than 2 years, and I'm on my 3rd radio, a 6102. These come up on RCC for $100 or less. A little more if they are converted to Spektrum. I should have picked up something like this from the beginning.

Pick up all your field accessories used, you'll save a heap. Ask around at the local club to see what is around. A glow ignitor + field box battery are some things that are good to get new, but a used one in good working order still does the trick.

All the best,

Ben Hindmarsh

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:14 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor

Oops! Looks like Gary and I have differing opinions, his post wasn't there when I started typing.

The only reason I suggest a 6 or 7 channel radio is that these typically have more programming features and model memory slots than a 4-channel. I would be doing just fine with a 4-channel radio, as long as it had good programming capabilities (v-tail, flaperon, elevon, mixing, etc.) and enough model memory to suit my growing fleet. I am by no means a big spender, but I hope to have 4 or 5 planes airworthy by mid-season!

Ben Hindmarsh

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:23 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-6G
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 6
Yes Ben, good points also. You also need more memory if you are
drinking beer all weekend.

I think like Gary said the package is a good value and normally lasts the
new flier for the first season of flying at a reasonable cost. The cost is always a main concern with most newcomers.

But be aware that in the following year or season , you will want to upgrade to a newer plane and radio as Ben suggests.
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Curtis H
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 53
Great Hobbies has a Hanger 9 Alpha 40 Trainer pack for $320.00. Comes with an Evolution .46 PTS motor(good reliable motor) and a 5 channel Spectrum 2.4 GHZ radio system. I am sure this setup would get you by for a few years with only an airplane to upgrade later on. I bought and trained on the NexSTAR when I started and it is a good system also but only has a 4 channel 72MHZ radio system which I outgrew quickly and the 2.4GHZ with the Alpha 40 makes it appealing and a very good buy.

Just my 2 cents worth

Best of luck

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:50 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor

As a newbie myself, I have just finished going through this whole thing, and all I can say is Stressful! I started out with a 4ch (futaba 4yf) and a small (43" wing) Cessna 182. within the first week I had crashed the Cessna a few times, and was happy I was able to simply glue it together again. After a few dozen sucessful flights, I went and bought a computer 6ch radio and a larger, now balsa, still electric high wing trainer (Ultrafly Tutor 32e) plane. At first I didn't need the 6ch, but the dual rates and expos were immediately useful. Having the ability to flip bettwen rates has become essential to my flying style and I would highly reccomend that function. Later I modified the trainer to allow for flaperons, and like the ability to use them when a smaller landing strip is all thats availible. The gas planes seemed complicated, noisy and promised to limit where I could fly without complaints.... anyway, I guess everyone has their preferances and desires, but I would reccomend starting with a 6ch computer radio off the bat, and a simple easily repaired high wing trainer, like the cessna, before finding out that crashes can and do occur.....thats my two cents for whats its worth. Oh, and I have seen the nexstar and belive it to be an excellent deal and well worth the money.
highflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #8
RCC Apprentice
I am: Bob N.
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX7
# of RCs: 7

Only have 1 year in the hobby. Bought the Nexstar, but with a DX7 radio, and an OS46AX engine. Engine was just because I wanted an OS. Radio was for the 2.4 setup. It's great to be able to turn on you're radio in all the excitment, and not crash someone. There are people for and agin the Nexstar. I think it's OK. Not many people recommend the stablizing system, better to learn to fly without it.

xray is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:43 AM   #9
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Konrad
Radio of choice:
JR 11X & JR X9503
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 1
I agree with Chuebner, checkout Great Hobbies under ARF's "hangar9" it's a fair deal. You may as well checkout the others while you are there. I started 2 years ago and it took me hook line and sinker,
I'm always at the field. BTW, are you from 8 Wing? If so, I am as well. Are you aware of the 2 fields in our area? Belleville and Brighton. I fly mainly in Brighton because it is closer for me, but enjoy going to the Belleville field as well. Going away for 6 months so I'll miss the flying season this year. Next I will join both Brighton and Belleville fields.
Best of luck, you will love it!!!
Konrad is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:03 AM   #10
I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-16
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 16
Have you been to any of the Bellville club meetings yet?

If you are planing to learn to fly with them best to ask what their instructors think and are use to. That beeing said the Nexstar is a very good channel and $350.00 to get started is pretty good. Don't foret you will pay shipping from Great Hobbies and while you are paying PST from your LHS it will probably work out the same.

I was not aware that Spektrum madde a 5 CH radio, something new for this package only I guess.

With the Nexstar you can but it now and assemble it then pull out the CD that comes with it and start learning to fly on the SIM so that in a month or two, hopefully if this darn snow ever goes away, you can start to fly.

Are you trying to leaqrn on your own or will you be joining a club?
Jim Daly
IMAC Sequence Committee Member
Your Friendly Neighborhood SouthEast Zone Director
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.