Your favorite first plane - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 03-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #11
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bill Brisson
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 5

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Kadet Sr. best for learning, I trained half a dozen guys to fly with it, but my first one I bought already built, I have since built 3 others and man they sure take a lot of covering. have flown them with eveything from a G34 to a Magnum pro .61 great for breaking in engines!

Bill......AKA "WW"
MAAC 46039
WOW 2000 POSTS...WOW...I need a hobby...wait...I have a hobby!
canadianf1pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:59 PM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Maqsood

Total Props: 0
Hobbico Avistar 40
MAAC # 59977
IMAC # 4177

My Website
My Photo gallery
rcpilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:47 PM   #13
I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 2
My Favourite beginner plane

My beginner plane was a EAGLE II

It was very forgiving.
SpaceCowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:06 PM   #14
RCC Contributor
I am: Rob W

My first plane was an Eagle II as well. I still have it and its 14 years old. I fly it on floats now.
Rob Weiss

Flying Tigers RC Club

MAAC# 50959
Robw is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:20 PM   #15
wise guy
RCC Junior Contributor

Favorite plane

In U/C ontrol the Half A Stunter was my favorite also little jumping bean. Best trainer La 40 Sig and Eagle II . Scale Gold burg clipped wing Piper Cub. Best all round flyer Ugly Stick and Acro Watt english kit. Most fun and very forgiving plane U Can Do.
Wise Guy
Sun Parlor R/C club
Windsor Ont
wise guy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #16
RCC Noob

Re: Your favorite first plane

my first plane was the supercub from hobbyzone broke in half wired it together kept flying finally had to replace most of it now waiting for my alpha40 rtf from great hobbies wanted bigger and a glow jobbie
alf is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:11 PM   #17
RCC Noob
I am: T.M.

Goldberg Eagle II with an OS 46 AX on it...Wow....I built it, so it was great to see it fly!

However, if I could do it all over again I'd have just gone ahead and started with the Hangar 9, Pulse XT 40. I bought one for my second plane, and put an OS 70 Surpass II, 4 Stroke on it...Lemme tell you, I have actually learned to fly on that plane!!!
hollywoodhitman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #18
RCC Noob

i have a supercub electric easy to fly even on windy days and cheap to fix can't wait to fly my new alpha 40 glow model
alf is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:05 AM   #19
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Marc A.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 6

I taught myself to fly with the Hobbyzone Supercub..and still fly one to this day.

The only "original" part is the motor and gear drive system. Ive epoxied fuselages and countles wings back together (windy days and stupid stunts) till they were too heavy.

I now fly it with a Hitech system, and have added Ailerons

Marc A.

MAAC #81823... Valley Model Aeronautics Club.
marco2236 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:19 AM   #20
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Rob B

Total Props: 4

When I decided to get back into the hobby last September after several decades away, I wanted to fly rather than build so I bought an E-flite Apprentice 15e. It has been a good starter plane in many ways (flies well, repairs easily, good 2.4 Ghz radio, no fuss electric motor) but it also has a few frustrations. It has trike undercarriage. If you buy one beware that it will only take off easily from ashphalt, hard packed dirt or ice/packed down snow. It will not take off properly from grass (even with oversized wheels), soft or rough crusty snow (on skis). I had to create a SPAD tail dragger fuselage - using the original wing - to overcome that problem as I fly in a location which is not manicured at all. It's not pretty but much more suited to my flying conditions. The other problem (reported many times on other forums with Apprentice 15e threads) is that the electric motor is low quality. It has sufficient power but is cheaply made and susceptible to failure with relatively low impact events. For example, I was trying to fly from relatively hard packed snow but because of trike set up buried the front ski & tipped over. Catching the prop caused the front of the motor which is made of some kind of dense plastic to "wear" around the front bearing causing the shaft to misalign & the motor to start grinding. Not much to be done but replace it as spares are not available. As with most others with same problem an alternative 15 size motor is the best solution.

Anyway, just a few thoughts in case any beginners are considering that plane.
rbwater is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.