Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2008, 08:40 AM   #1
Thunder Chicken
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Nathan C
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 3
A BIG Thank-You

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
After being out of the R/C hobby for a number of years, I have decided to get back into it now that i have a bit of extra time and a basement set up to work in! Although i'm a bit strapped for the funds to properly get back into R/C properly, i discovered SPADS, and it has allowed me to get flying once again!
I needed to upgrade some of my old radio gear(15 yrs+) and get a new engine, so i thought i'd turn to the internet and buy some used stuff. After getting an engine from e-bay that was cracked and came with the wrong muffler, i wondered if it was worth buying things from strangers in this day and age. However, the cost of a new engine was to much, and thats when i happened across Gary Maker's ad for an engine that fit my bill perfectly! So i thought i'd give a stranger one last try, and all i have to say about this gentleman is WOW!
When Gary found out i was getting started back into the hobby, he gave a smokin' deal on this engine. He also included a whole bunch of stuff 'at no cost'!!! Just to help a kid out!! It was totally unexpected and greatly appreciated! I can now get my fleet into the air and enjoy the hobby once again!
His kindness cant go unnoticed! Thank-you Gary!! Its great to know there are people like you out there, willing to help out a complete stranger !!
Thunder Chicken is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Geoff B
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9

Total Props: 2
Thats the great part about this hobby. there are a lot of people who have been generous to me as well in the short time i have been in the hobby, be it information and tips to giving a guy stuff to help him out.

Proud owner of a Hitec A9!!

Maac #79113
Flyboy76 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
I, too, have been the recipient of much good will and good stuff from fellow modellers as I got started. Now I admit I feel constrained to pass it on when I have the means and opportunity to do so.

It's like the cliche, "What goes around, comes around." and yes; Gary is a gentleman of the highest caliber.
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Wayne J

Total Props: 0
You do realise, of course, that with a name like "Thunder Chicken" and being from Sioux Lookout, you will have to build a "Thunder Chicken" (Norseman for those unfamiliar with the term) at some point in your RC career!

Jollidude is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
Ed Smith

Total Props: 0
I agree with all of the previous statements regarding individuals honesty and integrity

Remember, you were treated this way by REAL people, NOT ebay!

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
gerry clace
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: gerry c.

Total Props: 1
Re the mighty Thunderchicken

Too bad you were not around here in the early70's when there was the odd norseman here. I started out sewing the wing bags on two that wre rebuilt by an old engineer at Slate Falls Airways. They were CF-HQD, and CF-OBG an ex MNR machine, and you talk about a lot of work to rebuild! The airframes wre cleaned up and all new fabric was installed followed by lots of "dope" (not what the kids smoke these days), lots of sanding, and when all said and done,the glorious test flight,complete with a puke bag,empty to start with, and all the noise of that big 1340 Pratt and Whitney howling in front of you, not to mention all the heat that radiated back into the cabin... and watch out for the slap in the back of the head as the pilot cranked the flaps up or down, oh the thrill of it all. Sadly OBG was sold and HQD burned at the hanger door one winter after the blowpot caught the engine tarp on fire.It burned so fast we could not get out the door with extinguishers before she was just a hulk, such a sad day... and after all that hard work. It was a sight to watch them roar down the bay, rattling every nearby pane of glass as they waddled into the air, in most cases overweight,only to return that evening loaded with slimy tubs of fish from the commercial fishermens nets,to be unloaded and scrubbed down forthe next day...Oh those were the days... Too soon old...and of course too late smart...I never took any pictures to remember them by.
gerry clace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:58 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: David E. Arenburg
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 1
Great , a bit of history on Thunder Chicken , I went to school with his dad and taught Thunder Chicken how to fly.
Glad to see your back and good luck. recieved your p.m. and will send you a reply soon. Just leaving to take my daughter and better Half to your old school . Leaving on their annual high school band trip to the USA.

Old Pilot.
oldpilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.