Gas engine kill switch - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #11
Authorized Vendor
★ Vendor ★
I am: Jeff K

Total Props: 8

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Yes, use a ZKILL Engine Kill Switch for any Magneto engine (Zenoah, Quadra, etc) by 42 Percent Products, available at It works very well.

Here is a link:

They are in stock right now...

Check out the Thunder Hangar Blog!!
grizak is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:43 AM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13
Shielded wire

Although vibrating switch is a problem, the use of shielded hookup wire is quite often very important. You only ground the shield at one end. I would suggest that you ground it to the ignition unit or engine. On my U/L A/C I would install ground studs in appropriate positions. This makes components easy to remove. We have a shop in town that specializes in marine electronics and he has a large assortment of shielded wire.

kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:39 AM   #13
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7
I learned a long time ago not to use toggle switches as they would shake themselves apart in a short time with the vibration of the gas engines. Slide switches are the only way to go for another reason too. The slide switches are a knife switch configuration, which is much more reliable than two metal plates sliding over one another as most toggle switches do. I'me sure there are good ones but no way to cull them out.

Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #14
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 10
The problem with ignition engines is the interference generated by the high voltage spikes in the ignition system. The kill switch leads can convey these noise pikes and radiate them to the radio. Therefore it is not the mechanical problems of the switch etc. Thus it is not a wise idea to bring the kill switch wire near the control electronics (radio, servos). Every ignition systems and radios are different so you may get away with a particular installation or not. As stated above, test, test, and TEST again to make sure.
Arceenut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:30 PM   #15
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Darren G
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 8
Re: Gas engine kill switch

Changed it up abit... Works flawless, tried it while I broke-in the engine (had radio all hooked up).. I went with a carbon rod and moved it as forward as I could... No glitches for the 1 hour of running time at various throttle settings and with radio at different positions... I did keep the Rx in the same spot though, as far back as I could...Guess I'll go for the first flight next Mon...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	killsw.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	32444  
Darren loves Floatplanes and dirt bikes
cf-drg is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.