Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Todd n
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 2
old rc ads

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Here are some old ads one of the guys at work gave me.
Check them out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jet_815.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	31676   Click image for larger version

Name:	gas_376.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	31677   Click image for larger version

Name:	deisel_144.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	31678  
CHEVPRO is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:04 AM   #2

Total Props: 1
Gee, a gas engine I can start indoors. AND only $3.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
That is a real hoot!!

Buy a real deseal engine for a whole $1.95. Yeah right but its the darn postage thats a killer, an additional 5 cents. LOL.

The first add has got to be my favourite. Jet engine, $3.00, runs on gasoline - can be used indoors!

Good ole 1949! Wages were what? Bout 25 cents an hour?? Thats like a whole day's wages! Bet if someone had that exact same little deseal today, it would be worth a small fortune as a collector's item no doubt!

Yep, them was good times Ma!

Good stuff - thanks for sharing my friend!
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #4

Total Props: 1
Found this as a possible indicator of salaries (in the state of Washington. I believe our dollars were close/exceed US at that time).

Considering starting teacher salaries these days are what, $32-$35M, shows that wages have not increased quite as rapidly as EVERYTHING else.

October 18, 1950

Honorable H. D. Van Eaton
Director, Department of Public Institutions
Public Lands-Social Security Building
Olympia, Washington Cite as: AGO 49-51 No. 369

Attention: Mr. E. J. Nelson

Dear Sir:

In your letter of September 14, 1950, you requested our opinion on the validity of the claim of the estate of Eulah Blackwell, a teacher, against the State of Washington, for the sum of $600. In the event this claim is valid, you have also requested our opinion as to whether this claim should be paid from the salary and wages appropriation for teachers of the school for the deaf, or by special legislative relief.

Our conclusions may be summarized as follows:

(1) By virtue of the agreement between Eulah Blackwell and the superintendent of the school, the Eulah Blackwell estate is entitled to the sum of $600.

[[Orig. Op. Page 2]]

(2) The above sum should be paid from the appropriation for salaries and wages.

Our conclusion is based upon the provisions of the notice of appointment dated July 1, 1949, and the provisions of the acceptance of Eulah S. Blackwell, which we construe to be the contract of employment. The notice of appointment given by the superintendent of the school for the deaf provided:

"July 1, 1949, Eulah S. Blackwell ‑ You are hereby appointed as teacher in the Washington State School for the Deaf for the school year 1949-1950 (unless same shall be terminated prior to that time) at a salary of $3,600.00. (12 months pay basis). Forty dollars $40.00 per month will be deducted for board and room if you live in the Institution. The Teacher's time is to be at the disposal of the State School for the Deaf when the press of work or activities demand (his or her) presence. Virgil W. Epperson, Superintendent, Washington State School for the Deaf."

Eulah Blackwell's acceptance on a form provided by the superintendent provides:

"To Virgil W. Epperson, Superintendent, Washington State School for the Deaf ‑ I hereby accept the position as teacher in the Washington State School for the Deaf for the school year 1949-1950 at a salary of $3,600.00 (12 months basis). It is understood that $40.00 per month will be deducted from my salary if I live in the Institution. /s/ Eulah S. Blackwell ‑ Return to Superintendent as soon as possible."

We feel that the above provisions and in particular the words "for the the school year 1949-1950 at a salary of $3,600.00 (12 month basis)" are ambiguous, and allow for at least two interpretations: First, that the phrase "(12 month [[Orig. Op. Page 3]] basis)" has reference to "school year" so that a school year was to be coextensive with the calendar year, or, secondly, that "school year" meant just a school year (9 months) and the phrase "(12 month basis)" has reference only to the method of payment or apportioning the salary over a twelve‑month period. In light of this ambiguity, we feel the agreement must be resolved against the party who prepared it.

We have no hesitancy in construing the term "school year" to mean that period during which school is in session. The phrase "school year" has a recognized meaning in the educational field, and when used in an employment contract of a teacher means nine months. Francis v. Shawnee Mission Rural High School, 161 Kan. 634, 170 P. (2d) 807. Furthermore, section 2, p. 258, Laws of 1909 (Rem. Rev. Stat. 4646), provides:

"The regular term of said school shall begin on the second Wednesday of September and will close on the second Wednesday of the following June."

It must be assumed the agreement was written to conform to the statute above, and as a matter of law the provisions of the statute were part of this agreement. Faircloth v. Folmar, 252 Ala. 223, 40 So. (2d) 697.

Thus, since "school year" means only nine months, what is the effect of the insertion "(12 month basis)"? On this point it is our opinion that the above phrase was not intended to extend the school year to a calendar year, but only had reference to the method of apportioning the teacher's earned salary on a monthly basis. We were unable to find any authority in Washington construing the agreement in question, but we do find that our conclusion is substantiated by theFrancis case, supra. In that case a teacher entered into a formal contract of employment also containing the following provision:

[ "* * * for one year, that is for the school year, * * * at a salary of $2,345.00 per year, payable monthly in twelve installments * * *"
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:23 AM   #5
RC Rebel
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
LOL those are pretty funny indeed :P
My main OL Photo Gallery...
RC Rebel is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.