Blade Balancing + Glow Paint - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
I am: Dan N

Total Props: 0
Blade Balancing + Glow Paint

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
If I wanted to put glowing elements on the blades of the helicopter but don't want to have to dig a channelt through wood blades for LEDs, cells, and wires (which you can't even do with carbon blades anyways), would adding little patches of glow-in-the-dark paint be any help at all? I'm not sure if it'd be very bright or how long it would last.

I am also not sure if the paint might throw off the balance of the blades (do you balance helicopter blades? I am not sure how you would go about balancing carbon blades).
DKNguyen is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Keith M

Total Props: 2

Don't mess with trying to build your own night blades, too much stuff to go wrong and very dangeroue.
Glow will put the blades out of balance and won't be very bright.
Spend the money and get factory made night blades, much safer.
Also you should always balance your blades, even new ones.
kwm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:08 PM   #3
I am: Dan N

I would, but I can't seem to find any for the T-Rex 500. I can only seem to find LED sets for Walkera. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place?
DKNguyen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:00 AM   #4
RCC Contributor
I am: Charlie G
Radio of choice:
JR 11X

If you are thinking of building your own night blades you might want to read this thread.
Charlie is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: John Appleseed

Remove the covering from the blade and CA thin motor winding wire under the bottom. I didn't even make a wire channel in the blade. I just tacked the wire at different spots along the span so they could flex with blade bending during flight. I glued tiny LED toys from the 'dollar store' into the blade tips very carefully after making a recess in the blade tip hardwood. I removed from the toy's body the tip part which was very small and light.The toys had a button for random flashing of 3 leds of different colors or sequencial flashing and on/off switch function. It looked like a UFO in flight. The battery (watch lithium) was glued to the inboard trailing edge pocket permanently with epoxy after the wires were soldered on. After assembly the blade was covered in airplane ultracote covering. Blade tips and roots were painted first to seal out fuel. Like any project you have to know what you are doing to be safe. If you don't then buy the good stuff. You should also test the blades in private at rpm. Do not weaken the blade structure, however wires can be surface imbedded into the soft trailing edge balsa then secured with CA. You also have to balance the blades after the covering job. Before night blades were marketed this is how it was done. Some clever individuals modified carbon NHPs for LEDs running wires through the foam core and drilling surface holes for LEDs. Here's another link.

Like any project you have to know what you are doing to be safe. If you don't or have any question on the modification not withstanding applied forces then buy the good stuff. Below is what I did several years back. Hey, that looks like Colin's trike

G-copterbous-funk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Colin B
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 8
It could be worse... I could be driving your pink bike in the background
Align R/C, OS Engines, Futaba, Great Hobbies, Hatori, SGP, Morgan Fuels, Castle Creations
Colin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:12 PM   #7
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Originally Posted by Colin
It could be worse... I could be driving your pink bike in the background
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #8
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Nick P
Radio of choice:

check out theyve got quite a long thread in the blades section on building your own night blades. They use copper tape along the blade with leds soldered at various points with a lipo shrink wrapped onto the root.

I think its a pretty good idea all in all. Your choices for night blades on a 600 machine are slim... youve got the flexible ms composits, the align night blades (lets hope its not the variable weight edition) and the rotortechs which are about $220, plus a $50 charger. If you have the money i think rotortech might make a 425 night blade, you'd have to look on their website, but other than that there really isnt a problem with following the tutorials on rr to make your own. Just test everythign first.
hydravien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.