Be Aware When Ordering From - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 04-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Be Aware When Ordering From

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Be aware when ordering from Hobby City, United Hobbies Hong Kong.

On Dec. 10 2007 my credit card was charged $138.95 through PAYPAL for items ordered through the online catalogue. The items were never received. When I contacted them about this through email I received an auto response that someone would contact me shortly. After several emails and getting only an auto response finally

I received this email on February

Thanks for your email.
Sorry to hear that you have not yet received your parcel.
We have now opened an investigation with the post office.
Please be patience with them for which it might take some time for USPS to reply back.
Let us know if there is any other question.

Best regards.
Customer Support

Date: 7 Mar 2008 Auto Response to another query into lost shipment

Date: 15 Mar 2008 Auto Response to another query into lost shipment

Date: 20 Mar 2008 Auto Response to another query into lost shipment

Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008

Dear Mr Pratt.
We always follow up with all investigations with the post office.
If you have emailed Ami, she will reply.
Were currently training new staff for our call centre and will be back up to speed very soon.
Im sorry for the delay. Your email will be responded to soon.

Date: 27 Mar 2008

Thanks for your email.
We are sorry for the late reply.
However, please understand that is not us who is taking all this time.
The post office from both end who is taking the time.

We will urge the post office the keep us up date for the investigation.

Sincere apologies for the delay caused.

Best regards.
Customer Support

Date: 28 Mar 2008

Sorry for replying you late.
We will notice you if there is any news.
Please be considerate and patience.

Best Regards,
Customer Support

Date: 29 Mar 2008

Thanks for your email.
I am sorry but on the 17th of March the Canada post office said they are still investigating on the issue. We will inform you of the result once the post office returns us an answer. Thanks for having patience and understanding.
Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,
Customer Support

Date: 9 Apr 2008

Thanks for your email.
We are sorry but is not an excuse that we are giving.
We do not own the post office so we cannot say when will the item be delivery.
We can only try our best to assist you to solve the problem.
If you do not believe that we have opened an investigation with the post office.
You can check with the following reference number, 08047774E
Then the post office can let you know how slow the Canadian Postal reply.

Please let us know if there is any other question.

Best regards.
Customer Support

Still no resolution and it is now April 09, 2008 in fact other than an auto reply to several additional emails there has been no offer to resolve this issue. I have asked for them to send the products as ordered or to refund my money.

Their lost package policy asks for a 45 day grace period as per their web site: funny how it just happens to be the same amount of time that PAYPAL allows to open a dispute in their Resolution Center. So it looks like I am out the $138.95 so be advised this company in my opinion is not an honorable company to deal with.

Dennis Pratt
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
well right now i will not order anything out of Hong Kong, china -and so forth since it takes so long to through customs now.

just a month or so ago i would get items from Hong Kong faster than i would get items from the US, but from the same poeple i ordered from before is a 3 week extra wait time.

so for now im not ordering from HK or China.
Sitting and trying to finish my lear while my leg heals!
Hirobo Sceadu 50 Evolution - converted to Electric.
Kavan Alouette 2 - collecting dust.
Heli-Max MX400 EP (March 14 2008 )
Great Planes LEAR JET Kit (Build started Feb 7 ).
Herr Cessna 180,1/2A ( completed June 5 ).
Nemesis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Andrew Logan
RCC Contributor

About two weeks ago I ordered some blades for my T-rex via E-bay from HK 5 days later they were in my mail box.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Dennis and thank you for the heads up on that company
Savage X 4.6 Big Block
T-Rex 450 SE
MAAC # 71852
Andrew Logan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
RCC Apprentice
I am: denis l
Radio of choice:
jr 9303
# of RCs: 7

I sent them an e-mail....told them what i thought of them

ALSO:....No business will come from me.

Thanks for the warning....i'll keep my business in canada , because there seems to be a lot of border delays & problems.I ran into simaller problems on a $1,000 order from the US. 2 years ago. There was a different excuse every week from them . The order took 8 wks insted of the promiseary 2 wks.

After 8 wks , i promised them 'legal action"...2 days order was

Border crossing order's , seem to be notoriously bad ! I am now extremely hesitant about dealing outside of canada.

Just my opinion.
Set The Example..Fly Safe..Have Fun.

HOMEFLYR is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Clemmens

Sorry to hear about this...

How was your PayPal account funded? If you used a credit card, call them and do a chargeback. They will refund your money.

If you used funds already sitting in your PayPal account, then I really don't know what else to suggest... Sorry.

ALWAYS use a credit card with PayPal!
Mike Clemmens
50%300SFlyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 37

Total Props: 15

Sorry to learn about your problems with hobbycity and thank you for warning us. This weekend I intended to place an order with them to get some of the items that I couldn't find at Toledo. Specifically, a couple of their Corona synthesized 4Ch receivers, among other odds and ends. However, based on your experience and some of the many poor reports I read regarding the receivers, I will not place an order.

Perhaps after this thread has gained some momentum, i.e. has a few more comments from others, you should e-mail Hobbycity with a link to this thread. Perhaps that will give them some additional incentive to clear up customers problems. Below is a link to the Corona receivers thread highlighting some of the problems others have had with this receiver:

Peter Merkel
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jeffrey T

I am very satisfied with Hobbycity/United Hobbies. I have placed 3 orders with them each over $150. My orders have been small items like motors, batteries, wire, connectors (never any airplanes), and the items were always in stock at the time of purchase. Other people have had problems with Hobbycity when ordering back-ordered items. There is no guarantee of when they will come in.

On every order the package was received in 3-4 days from EMS. I was provided a tracking number and they always shipped out from HK next day. I have never had a package delayed when shipped by EMS.

Anyway, I am a satisfied customer and I will continue to buy from HC/UH.
JeffElecRC is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26
Originally Posted by Midair
Below is a link to the Corona receivers thread highlighting some of the problems others have had with this receiver:
Those are some confused people in a rather confused conversation.

One can't get his synth rx to work with a synth 9c, common problem (I have a synth for my 9z and it doesn't work with synth or single conversion receivers)

Another keeps going on about crystals and how they only work with their own brand, this is also a common misconception. Not only do you need to match the frequency of the xtal, but some receivers work on different offsets (single/dual conversion), some work at different harmonics, and of course you would have to match the impedance of the crystal.
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 1
Hong Kong orders

It makes no difference what you have in the mail or where it's going or coming from. When the system screws up, it takes forever to get any action or resolution form the Post Office.

On Dec 5/07 I sent a package, insured, via air mail to Great Britain. It did not arrive. The PO would not even begin to look at it unitl about 45 days had expired.

Following that, they claimed to begin an investigation to see where it went. I asked you they can do that when there is only insurance and no package ID. They didn't have an answer but told me that it would take at least 2 months for an answer.

The latest was a note from them received on April 1/08 asking ME if the package arrived in Great Britain. So who's on the receibing end? Me? And who's doing the delivery? Idiots.

On another occassion I had sent a guaranteed delivery item to Timmins, Ontario. Did it get there? Nope. The pakage had one of those tracking bar codes on it and I watched as the postal clerk scanned it. Those morons never even had any record of the envelope! They offered me a couple of stamps for compensation. Big fat joke.

Unlike your case, though, as soon as the dopes at Canada Post started giving me the gears, I refunded the cost of the item and the postage to the intended recipient in Great Britain and told him I'd keep him advised on any progress.

So now I'm the one who's out for the roughly $29.00 postage. Do I ever expect to see it again? No.

These clowns have no end of problems and very few solution to the problems they create.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:51 PM   #10
RCC Master Contributor
I am: George S
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2
I just placed an order with Hobbycity and one item is on back order. They state that items on back order may take up to 21 days to ship. I guess we'lll see. Thanks for the heads up Dennis.

Cheers. George
I keep having the same mechanical problem. I've got a loose nut on the transmitter!

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.