Closed Thread
Old 04-09-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: DavidK
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
YS 140L Prop size

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
need some advice: what size of prop would be best for break-in of YS140L 4 stroke engine.

Op manual states 14x14,
or 15x12 thru 14 ,
or 16 x11 thru 14.

Will fit to a YAK 72 inch once breakin is completed

DKing is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
RCC Apprentice

Re: YS 140L Prop size

I do not have one of these engines but here are some interesting facts about props. I would go with the largest diameter low pitch propeller possible for your plane and engine size. Just remember that you cannot lug an engine using a large diameter prop, model engines need to run in their power band..

Here is why larger diameter props are more efficient.

The working efficiency of any propeller, is found by comparing the velocity of the airplane to the velocity of its "backflow" relative to the airplane. If these were the same (an impossible condition, of course), the propulsion would be 100% efficient, and there'd be no slipstream behind the aircraft. The closer we can approach this ideal with a propeller-driven aircraft, the higher its efficiency. Less energy gets wasted in air turbulence -- and in noise generation.

The thrust we need to keep our airplanes flying comes from the reaction that results from accelerating a mass of air rearward. If this mass is low, like that behind a small-diameter propeller, it's got to be accelerated quite a lot to provide appreciable thrust. This produces a fast-moving slipstream, and efficiency suffers. On the other hand, the air mass that a big prop acts upon needs much less acceleration to achieve its thrust output.

Another thing about large-size, low-pitch props is that they minimize variation in their models' airspeeds. At takeoff, hovering, and at low model velocities, as when you are flying an up line with your Yak, they pull hard, just when high thrust is needed.

Try 17x7 or an 18x6, if these lug your engine then go down in pitch, to 17x6 you will get better thrust efficiency that would benefit your Yak’s performance.
You can never have enough power, as you can always throttle back.

Last edited by BoundForHell; 04-14-2008 at 12:24 AM.
BoundForHell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: DavidK
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Smile Re: YS 140L Prop size

Thanks BoundForHell, I will consider your comments......Dave

I read an article that suggested 16x6 for 3D hovering etc.....just didn't want to take a chance that I would over-rev a new engine beyond its maximum RPM . Therefore 17x7 or 18X6 makes sense.

Last edited by DKing; 04-16-2008 at 05:53 PM.
DKing is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.