General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 02-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #21
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62
Re: Mentors in our lifes

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I never really had anyone but Boothes Hobbies in Hamilton and Scotty Law in Dundas all gave me a ton of inspiration. All I had to do was give them my money. Having said that, this hobby definately attracts the best people I have ever known, hands down!!

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #22
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: russ h
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0

As far as getting me back into the hobby, that was my wife. When it comes to helping out though, there's a few - but the biggest one is a guy we know as old prairie redneck on this site. Dale Hunter, PiperCub17, and Harley G have all helped out. So has Cassat with a glider that he basically gave me for the cost of postage and he threw in a book for good measure. Ulf44.2007's has offered me and by proxy other beginners help too. Randy Plante had a bigger part in getting my Aerial Photography plane in the air than he can appreciate, but it was his skill & foam cutter that created the wing and showed me the right way to build my next one.

Thanks to all of you, I wasn't entirely sure what I was going to do with all my "spare" time but you've managed to keep me busy with all the new things I'm learning and doing.
russ is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #23
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Paul J

Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
Mine was Ken Cornell in Moose Jaw. Anybody remember him?
Yes, Ken is still flying here in Moose Jaw, was talking to him briefly this past autumn. I'll mention your name the next time I see him.
valhalla is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #24
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

I wish the Old Prairie Redneck had schooled me on "fly three mistakes high" and "don't try and land on the downwind side of a shelterbelt"!

Even though I haven't met the 3 Alberta guys that I've talked too, I feel smarter just by introducing myself to them!

Last edited by PurgatorY; 02-01-2011 at 07:56 PM.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #25
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Paul J

I was lucky to be instructed by two very nice and highly skilled fliers, both while stationed at CFB Summerside.

First was Glen Maxwell who was a Tracker pilot at the time for 880 Sqn. A really good flier and a very nice chap. Glen very patiently stayed with me while I first began trying to keep my Telemaster from meeting up with Mother Earth.

A little while later I met Mike Saucier who took over the duties of babysitting and showed me the way. Mike was extremely generous with his time, knowledge and patience.

I owe a lot to both of these gentleman!
valhalla is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #26
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Thumbs up Re: Mentors in our lifes

Originally Posted by AJCoholic View Post
I am somewhat surprised more people havnt chimed in here...
Sometimes its hard to talk about, even more so to post in a public forum....

My Uncle, Alvin Watson, was my first mentor, I used to spend long winter visits viewing his many models from steamships to large Free Flight and even RC aircraft. I fondly recall him patiently explaining again how he planned to machine some part... My interest were more for his aircraft. His attention to detail and great patience encouraged my early belief that anything that could be conceived could be constructed. I Truly miss him.

Later, Doug Mowatt of Huntsville was a huge mentor and I'm proud to say I was one of the members of the Huntsville Model club when it was first registered with MAAC. Doug was a giant of a man both physically and measured by the heart. A truly giving gentleman I miss.

Eric Fuchs of the Ajax club took me under his wing and truly taught me how to fly as a coordinated effort instead of diving at the ground and missing.
Eric alas, has been lost to Golf....

There have been many friends I would also consider mentors, too many to mention. I love to watch others fly and observe their approach.

Every person, aircraft, situation and especially every landing is a potential mentor.
MAAC# 12719
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #27
RCC Supreme Contributor
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 58

Have to add my 2 cents worth here.
#1 Dad - Flew control line with a bunch of guys in the local school yard. I blame him for my addiction to the smell of hot castor, balsa dust & freshly doped tissue! He got out due to family/financial pressures by the time I was in school. But the dammage was done!
#2 Ron Simonson - Former MAAC rep for Alberta, great guy, lots of the best advice ( the kind that only comes with having tried everthing else & this is what really works ).Thanks Ron!
#3 Dale Hunter - Who after I learned to fly the hard way ( no one to help with that often painfull & discouraging process ) has been a super big help in perfecting what little I have learned on my own. Both in the flying & the building parts of the hobby. He has also been a great flying buddy & picked me up out of the hobby duldroms many times with his bubbly personality & always fresh enthusium.
Many thanks Dale!
I have tried to mentor others over the years, sometimes successfull & sometimes not. It,s really the only way in my opinion to properly thank the ones who helped us!
+ you end up with a lot of great buddies!!
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #28
RCC Master Contributor
I am: john h
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 10

for me it was a fellow by the name of harley
he lived next door to me , and one day he came home with a bag of busted up airplane parts from his first crash ! little did i know that a few months later me and him would be best buddys . flying every chance we could get lol . years later and he has still never found his way to this site lol .
dale hunter and OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK have also been big Mentors in my life.
Johnny ground pounder !
tree top flyer
pipercub17 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:35 AM   #29
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 33

Without the help of Roger Ganley back in 1976 I may never have become involved in the hobby that later resulted in the opportunity for me making a living in the hobby industry for almost a quarter century. That was 35 years ago, where has the time gone!! Thanks Roger!!
reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:19 AM   #30
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19
Manitoba Re: Mentors in our lifes

First..My Dad...

He took us to the Windsor Airport to see remote planes on the 60's and one crashed at the bumper of our car on the side of the road and I was amazed at the size of it...Dad said "don't touch it" like it was nuclear or something and he gently picked it up and handed it over the fence to the owner...that started it. He also took us to a TV repair shop ( we had the neighborhood's worst TV set) and the owner, Mr. Fox, had several planes hanging up in the shop that I also wanted to see while Dad got the TV fixed.That started me off on building tissue models and went up the old (spinaround -one -lap- and- crash) Cox PT19 C/L...what a time that was!!
Later on, in the 80's a fellow co-worker called Mike Collins got me into it seriously and I've been hooked since. Mike passed away about 10 years ago, and my new mentor is Dennis Pratt... the man has a lifetime wealth of knowledge in RC that I can always depend on for advice or help.
Hangar Nine SpitFire..Saito.100
Top Flite P51..Saito.91
RCGUYS Decathlon..SPE 26
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.