Futaba Product Advisory- R6014FS Receiver - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9
Re: Futaba Product Advisory- R6014FS Receiver

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Billpilotca wrote: "it is pretty clear that the Team sponsored Futaba pilots will stick up for their company. Unfortunately the rest of us loyal Futaba users were going to be the potential losers in this deal."

Futaba has and always has had excellent equipment, no doubt about that. And you can't blame sponsored people for sticking loyally to their company. Problems with faulty equipment can happen to any company. That in itself is not the issue here!

As I see it, the issue is that Futaba knew of this problem, well in advance, but only after several reported failures did they finally acknowledge it and post an advisory! Damage had already been done that could have perhaps been avoided. Damage not only to equipment but in the minds of their own loyal customers.

I am not a Futaba person, never have been. But I do know how I would feel if I had have purchased said piece of equipment and had been using it, and after the fact find out that there is a serious potential problem with it that I was not warned about it, knowing Futaba themselves did in fact know that this problem exhisted. And I can understand how you as a Futaba user would feel wondering what other issues may exhist that I and many other Futaba owners have not been told about. It would certainly make me serously think twice about that newest, latest and greatest piece of equipment that I had in mind to purchase from this company!

The Futaba equipment you have is and has always worked just fine. At this point you haven't lost anything and you can continue on as you have always with piece of mind. But its any future purchases that you will have concerns with, that will play heavily on your mind.

There are no relationships that will survive if "Trust" has been breached, so trust itself becomes a serious issue.

As I've said, Futaba is a great company with an excellent product. Problems do arise from time to time as with any company. I hope this matter will be a lesson learned. When a problem comes to the fore, don't dottle with it, jump on it quickly! Get it solved! Let your customers know of any potential problems ASAP! Recall, update, repair, or replace said item. Kick some butt in your quality control department so it doesn't happen again, and move onward and upwards.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks

Last edited by Gary Maker; 04-23-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Jack D.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 19

The idea that Futaba made some conscious decision to cause a user base issues is silly. They made a design improvement that necessitated the use of a chip with a lower signal voltage. They made sure it worked with their equipment, and it does. Some after market servos do not function properly, and that is unfortunate, but it is not Futaba's responsibility to insure that it would.

Does this mean that they should write up a TSB on their own equipment to tell the world..I don't think so.

I am using 2 of the said 6014 receivers with some aftermarket servos and also some power management systems..I have no issues..

I believe that for the most part these issues arise before anybody even gets their aircraft into the air..They are simply pi$$ed because their beloved aftermarket equipment won't work properly in Futabas' newly designed equipment.

Flame away, but i'm with Chad and Futaba on this one and we will simply have to agree to disagree
Movin' on up to the top-shelf..3W!!!

Last edited by wingburner; 04-23-2008 at 12:01 PM.
wingburner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:42 PM   #13
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: john g
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 DSMX

Total Props: 1

Well that makes me relise that for me the move from Futaba to JR I made years ago was the right move.I myself am new to the 2.4 radio's but its nice when I have a box of AFTER MARKET SERVO'S I can still use and not worry about some unforseen issue's.I'm not a rich guy and the thought of having to buy all new servo's so I can use a particaler radio setup is not for me.I relise some of the new 2.4 radio's/receivers have issues of some sort but having to go out and get all new servo's/controllers just doesn't make sence.Just my 2cent's about what I've read.John
If I could fit in my plane I would
BigJohn is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #14
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Mike Clemmens

Total Props: 0

I have not made any comments about this issue since starting this thread, so I guess it's my turn.

While it is true I’m a member of Team Futaba, I was also a JR sponsored pilot for a number of years. I flew the top of the line 10X during that time, so I hope what I now say comes across with some credibility, and not just as a Futaba sponsored pilot.

While I do think it would be great to be able to use any and all the aftermarket servos with this system, Wingburner is correct when he said that the new FAAST technology in the R6014 receiver, cannot be made with a higher output signal voltage, and still use all 14 channels. It would seem to me the choice was obvious. Use the best technology available, or be compatible with everyone else…. Bear in mind there are very few servos out there that are not compatible... And solutions to this are available without buying all new servos.

Futaba is the only radio manufacturer out there, which employs continuous channel shifting. Given today’s hostile frequency environment, I would not want it any other way. Read more about it here.

Mike Clemmens
50%300SFlyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:28 PM   #15
RCC Contributor
I am: Dan J.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
Smile Re: Futaba Product Advisory- R6014FS Receiver

I will agree with you that Futaba doesn't have to do squat to ensure their receivers work with everyone else, but why hide your head in the sand about it? Given that their equipment has worked in the past with these other servos, a person would come to expect that their new receivers would do the same. But surprise! There is no guarantee now. So much for the status quo.

Look, I don't care how the servo signal is processed, it is ultimately due to the output amplifiers (either internal to the chip or external to it) that will determine the signal voltage. How many times it jumps frequencies should have absolutely no bearing on the final servo signal quality. Most receivers are either powered by 4.8v supplies or 6v power systems, so the availability of a suitable supply voltage is not in question. You forget that the 14 ch G2 works fine, and there is no possible reason that the FASST chip could have been designed the same. If a FASST chip was designed for the 6 - 8 channels with no issues, why change for the 14?

IMHO, I think the chip designer screwed up when the output section was designed and implemented, no other reason. Instead of discovering their mistake and recalling the receivers, they put out that bulletin to cover the a$$.

Ok - flame suit on!

(btw, I switched from JR to Futaba (14MZ), and do not regret it one bit. As I said in my previous post, this issue will not have an impact on me. If I am using the 14 channel and need all channels, I definitely would be using a Power distribution system anyway so that I can offload the current load from the reciever.)
Oh great are the days when my takeoffs equal my landings!!!
MAAC #68159
Sparhawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.