Aircraft size restriction by field - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #11
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Darren G
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 8
Re: Aircraft size restriction by field

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I will be the first to say "YES" .. Our club has looked into getting a floatflying site at a local lake (it's a regional park) and the area is big (but not that big) and big airplanes use up air alot faster than small aircraft.. So we are going to limit the size (something like .90 or smaller).. Its a consensus between all of us flyers.. There is no limit at our regular feild though...
Darren loves Floatplanes and dirt bikes
cf-drg is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:25 AM   #12
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

As others have said, our field doesn't have any size restrictions also but our surroundings just prevent flying anything bigger then 90sz being not appropriate to fly at Mississauga field. Tall tress on both end of runways, dog park on west end of one runway and power lines 600' away but besides other runway...
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #13
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Talking Re: Aircraft size restriction by field

We only have a grass field but we draw the line at 747's - Don't want any of those Air Bus's messing with our turf!
Crashssm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #14

No size restriction at Avon RC Flyer's in Windsor, NS. Well that is not exactly true, if you can sit in it we might see some issues on take off.
burmese is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:19 PM   #15
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: John A.
Radio of choice:
Airtronics 2.4
# of RCs: 12

We have no model size restrictions, but when some of the members began to acquire and/or build large gas-powered scale models, we ended up renting more land so the field was larger. You might say we "grew" the field to match some of the models. Dzl
If it doesn't stink, it's not a diesel.
Dzlstunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #16

Total Props: 1

Seems pretty unanimous. No limits (within reason I would suspect).

Are you faced with this issue Jason or are you considering implementing such a restriction?
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:46 PM   #17
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: JLA

Total Props: 3

Thanks for all the info guys.

We're trying to find a new field and we're somewhat limited at this time. We've found a potential field, but the larger planes may be an issue.

I really hate the idea of having restrictions on what can be flown there. There is another club with a great field about 35 minutes away where there are no restrictions. We're debating creating a field with size restrictions and then joining the other club for the larger stuff. Not ideal but...

Thanks again for the feedback guys.

aubej is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #18
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Hi Jason

neither the Whitby or Ajax have size restrictions but I am curious. What would warrant having a restriction on the plane size? I can possibly see the larger motors being a bit louder but other than that, what would the issue be? Certainly difficult to police it as well. Then you get down to what size to restrict, is it wingspan, motor size, etc etc

Sorry I'm just being curious.

Though we don't have the restrictions, some of the larger planes or jets sometimes need a larger field to land at so they actually restrict themselves from flying here. (planes hate running out of runway )

There is another field about 40 minutes away that caters solely to the bigger planes but that's just a different club.

Bob D.
Ajax RC Club
Indoor Aero-Choppers
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:36 PM   #19
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 1

Hi, Jason.

We have no size restriction at Aurora Model Aircraft Club. Mind you, the field would not be a suitable size for certain giant size models, particularly in certain persons' hands. It's left up to the operator of the plane to decide whether or not the field is suitable for his plane. If there is a mismatch, it doesn't last long as the offender takes home a bag of pieces.

That being said, Byrocat did object to my rocket ship take offs with my clipped wing Telemaster, for some unknown reason.

He would freak at the Toronto field. They fly almost exclusively giant scale, with many planes up to about 42% size. And their filed is even smaller than the Aurora field. Additionally, prevailing winds are usually north to south and they are restricted to landing to east or to west due to pits along the south edge and a public road just behind that. Surrounding the other 3 sides, in close proximity are many houses.

Just because the plane is large, that does not necesarily mean that a flat approach is required. Fly slowly at high angle of attack for lots of drag and drop the power, you'll fall at a very steep angle at the same airspeed you were flying at, especially if you were on the back side of the power curve. Throttle to control lift and angle of attack to control speed, just as with full size GA type planes.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:14 AM   #20
Donovan Dow
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Donovan R

Morning Jason

I have not noticed any size restriction at clubs in the Ottawa area or any club fields outside Ottawa.

Here is a list of most local Ottawa clubs:

Further to the east

Further to the west

don dow
Donovan Dow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.